Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j0ew1120
I got pulled over last night driving home from a friends house, we're in the turning lane behind a motorcycle cop and he decided to get behind us and pull us over because he thought we had our brights on behind him. I have had a few beers but my pregnant wife was my dd. he didn't give us a ticket but I've noticed at stoplights that the height of the jeep really gets people in their mirrors. I feel bad when I'm burning people at stoplights but also it's a little funny. has anyone else run into this problem?
I remember these days. I use to not drive the jeep at night because people where such a-holes about it. I ended up going with the cibies and the cut-off is perfect where it doesn't nail people right in the rearview.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey all,

So the time has come... I've saved up and am ready to re-gear

Question is... where? I've heard so many "don't go here"s but not very many "go here"s .. Just wondering if anyone has a shop recommendation from a positive experience? I'd really appreciate any input so I can get this underway and be ready to wheel again by the time it cools off!

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got pulled over last night driving home from a friends house, we're in the turning lane behind a motorcycle cop and he decided to get behind us and pull us over because he thought we had our brights on behind him. I have had a few beers but my pregnant wife was my dd. he didn't give us a ticket but I've noticed at stoplights that the height of the jeep really gets people in their mirrors. I feel bad when I'm burning people at stoplights but also it's a little funny. has anyone else run into this problem?
It really depends who im driving behind. If its someone driving like a dick, I have no issues blinding them at a stoplight. Other times, I feel bad and turn my headlights off until the light turns green. I also mounted a set of hella's to my front bumper and have them pointed directly at the ground and I rely on those to see at night. The stock headlights dont do crap and I dont feel like burning people all the time
Old 08-20-2012, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I know exactly what you mean. Didn't really "feel the pain" until my girlfriend drove behind me when I was in my Z28. The next day I adjusted the lights to be aimed lower.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I definitely need to do the adjustment. I don't want to have this problem again.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Fenrir
What's planned for this next weekend?

I ended up sleeping in Saturday then ran to REI to buy a 7 gallon container (couldn't pack the one I had back in Indiana) and took off on FR24 to FR269 to go check out the Middle Verde River. Pretty easy, not much to it. I then drove FR269 towards I-17. Amazing views once you get up on the cliff roads and look back towards the river! It rained a little, but wasn't bad at all. I tried to get out of there before night fall, but got caught. I know that you should never Jeep alone, but this trail seemed pretty easy. Nothing like Drummond Island back in the Great Lakes. But I did find a stream that I was worried about crossing. I made it ok, it wasn't that deep, but that "Don't go alone" thing haunted me again. I know...

By the time I got off that trail, aired back up and hit I-17, it was 8PM. Not gonna lie, for a mid-westerner, it was erie airing up all alone out there at night! My headlamp caught some eyes in the bushes (Just Jack rabbits I hope! I saw about a dozen on the trail). I then drove up to Schnebly Hill Road to find a camp site. I was greeted by a lot of campfires so I figured there weren't many sites to camp at so I gave up. I ended up at the Vista and stared at the Milky Way for about an hour and headed back to Scottsdale.

I'm gonna try and get to Schnebly Hill Sooner, while there is still day light and try again.

Is camping allowed/free along Bloody Basin Road? Would anyone recommend it?

Also, what all critters should I be concerned about in the Bloody Basin Road area at night? I know snakes, but are Mt. Lions common? Sorry for all the AZ newbie questions!
Black bears, mt lions, and Javelinas; but it all depends where and how remote of a location you plan on visiting. My advice (from desert survival training), make lots of noise when you are out and about. Ie. rattle those keys in your pockets as you are walking. Those animals are 10x more scared of you, then you are of them. If they hear the noise first, they are likely to bug out before you even cross their path. Store food high and away from where you plan on sleeping/lounging.

As far as going out alone...I'm sure you've heard it already, but DON'T DO IT! Even on easy trails, you never know what can happen. I'm usually down and and wanting to head out. PM me whenever, and if i'm available...I'll roll with you. I'm also into astrophysics, so star gazing is my thing to!

PS. I promise I won't blab on about the cosmos
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Junkie

He won't blab on about cosmos, but he loves to talk about Uranus
Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by awesomo

Black bears, mt lions, and Javelinas; but it all depends where and how remote of a location you plan on visiting. My advice (from desert survival training), make lots of noise when you are out and about. Ie. rattle those keys in your pockets as you are walking. Those animals are 10x more scared of you, then you are of them. If they hear the noise first, they are likely to bug out before you even cross their path. Store food high and away from where you plan on sleeping/lounging.

As far as going out alone...I'm sure you've heard it already, but DON'T DO IT! Even on easy trails, you never know what can happen. I'm usually down and and wanting to head out. PM me whenever, and if i'm available...I'll roll with you. I'm also into astrophysics, so star gazing is my thing to!

PS. I promise I won't blab on about the cosmos
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I was like "this is nothing" till I got to the stream. Then I was like "ok Aron Ralston..." :-/ but my friends knew where I was at least. Good to know you're down for trips! I wanna head somewhere this weekend if you're game. Blab all you want about the sky!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
He won't blab on about cosmos, but he loves to talk about Uranus
Lol...good one! I knew that was coming...
Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Some say "why play with your Venus when you can play with Uranus" LOL

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!