Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenrir
I saw the posts for Smiley Rock on the 19th. I don't think I can make that one, but will anyone be in the Sedona area on the 18th? I'm thinking drive up there from PHX on the 17th after work, camp or hotel, and then do some trails. I don't know how "touristy" the Sedona trails are, but I'm ready to do something a lil more challenging than Schnebly Hill. I did Box Canyon already and that was a blast, as well as the people I Jeep'd with! I'd also like to go check out Jerome and if there is time, check out some stuff in Flagstaff. I gotta get some sight seeing done while I'm here for the next 4-5 months!
Most of the trails up here are pretty touristy. Pink jeeps always on them. Broken arrow is a fun trail. Then you have greasy spoon, soldier pass and cliffhanger. I would recommend hitting broken arrow for the scenery and devils staircase and then maybe cliffhanger .. Its not that challenging but it ends at oak creek and what better way to end than getting in some water on a hot day
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Better pic... pre 2.5" RK lift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120814-00046.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	354215
Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by treid
Most of the trails up here are pretty touristy. Pink jeeps always on them. Broken arrow is a fun trail. Then you have greasy spoon, soldier pass and cliffhanger. I would recommend hitting broken arrow for the scenery and devils staircase and then maybe cliffhanger .. Its not that challenging but it ends at oak creek and what better way to end than getting in some water on a hot day
How about any good exploratory trails up on the Rim. Any good back road or off path camping back in there? Preferably near some water?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Interested in going on the Smiley Rock ride. I will be coming up from Surprise. I am stock, but it sounds like that will not be an issue. How long is the trail and where would I meet up with your guys?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rocjeepn
Interested in going on the Smiley Rock ride. I will be coming up from Surprise. I am stock, but it sounds like that will not be an issue. How long is the trail and where would I meet up with your guys?
No, like I said I've done it twice when I was stock. It is definitely more difficult and we'll prob have to move a few boulders for you for better tire placement but you'll get through it. The trail takes about 2.5 to 3 hours but will actually take closer to 4. See next post for all details.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bluezlgnd

How about any good exploratory trails up on the Rim. Any good back road or off path camping back in there? Preferably near some water?
There is one trail that is up on the rim. I personally have not done it as it is a loooong trail with no wheeling. Just a long ass dirt road that gives you some great views from what i hear. You catch the forest road out of strawberry. I think fr245 but don't quote me on that. And no water up there that i have heard of
Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

There are actually quite a few great camping areas up on the rim I have camped up there a couple of dozen times. I have camped at cheveleon canyon lake, knoll lake and woods canyon/ bear canyon lake. There is a camp ground at woods canyon lake. I like getting way back in there away from all of the traffic. chevelon canyon lake is good for that. there is also a little spring that I cant remember the name of that has some good secluded quiet camping.

As far as wheeling goes there really is nothing other than rough dirt roads up on the rim, how ever just north of payson below the rim is a trail called Payette Draw. it is a great trail and is good for all different types of jeeps from stock to huge. here is a video of a few of us on the trail last summer.

http://youtu.be/_rFBaSQJ1ko
Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

OR-FAB crossmember came today. Very good quality and a perfect fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-922286932.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	354687   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4285804988.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	354688   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1989661377.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	354690   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2304340891.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	354692  
Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 PM
JK Freak

Default Phoenix JK's

Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
OR-FAB crossmember came today. Very good quality and a perfect fit.
your stock X-member looked better than mine!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
There are actually quite a few great camping areas up on the rim I have camped up there a couple of dozen times. I have camped at cheveleon canyon lake, knoll lake and woods canyon/ bear canyon lake. There is a camp ground at woods canyon lake. I like getting way back in there away from all of the traffic. chevelon canyon lake is good for that. there is also a little spring that I cant remember the name of that has some good secluded quiet camping.

As far as wheeling goes there really is nothing other than rough dirt roads up on the rim, how ever just north of payson below the rim is a trail called Payette Draw. it is a great trail and is good for all different types of jeeps from stock to huge. here is a video of a few of us on the trail last summer.

http://youtu.be/_rFBaSQJ1ko
Excellent video... thanks for sharing this with us.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!