Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I missed the Perseids (meteor shower) last night. Anyone else catch it? It's still going on, but I have to work in the AM.

There is another shower (K- Cygnids) also about to peak (although it's minor compared to the Perseids) on 8/17. I was thinking of making a run to Sedona after work on Friday and camping.

Anyone know where there are good camp grounds in Sedona? Any sites I should know of for permits?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by treid
Anyone in Northern AZ or surrounding areas, we are putting together a small half day run at smiley rock on the 19th. Anyone and Everyone is welcome. Thinking about starting around 10am and meeting in Jerome. If you have never done smiley its a nice fun trail up the backside dry creekbeds of Mingus Mt. Let me know if you are interested and we can get more info out
I'm in for Smiley Rock. I live about 30 min from Jerome.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 PM
JK Junkie

What's the ratings? Pics, videos, and can stocks do it?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Fenrir
So, I missed the Perseids (meteor shower) last night. Anyone else catch it? It's still going on, but I have to work in the AM.

There is another shower (K- Cygnids) also about to peak (although it's minor compared to the Perseids) on 8/17. I was thinking of making a run to Sedona after work on Friday and camping.

Anyone know where there are good camp grounds in Sedona? Any sites I should know of for permits?
I camp in Oak Creek Canyon quite a bit, but depends if you want a site or not. I camp at Pine Set and always try for #4. It's right against creek, most hidden but in one area, and it's first come first serve (I just got back Sat night)

You can also book at Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov and use zip 86336

Since kids are back in school the first come first serve are TONS easier to get now and you will save a few dollars. Sites are $18 if you don't book online. We rolled in about noon on Friday and we were the 1st to get a first come first serve site, but all reserve sites were full. By end of night all sites were taken but maybe 6

If wanting to just camp anywhere, take Schnebly Hill Rd until you get in forest area, and there are tons of cool places to camp and even lakes. If you get off at Schnebly Hill Rd off I17 you will skip the long drive up from the Sedona side (but still fun)

I buy a yearly park pass every year and if I remember right, it's only $20. That will basically get you anywhere. If you park you need pass

Last edited by Hskr4x4; 08-13-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by highoctane

I'm in for Smiley Rock. I live about 30 min from Jerome.
Cool. We're pushing back the time a little bit probably about 11 so we can get one more buddy with us. I'll keep you posted as soon as i know a time for sure. So far we have five confirmed. We're all bringing wives/girlfriends (not both if you know what's good for you) and kids. So bring them if you have them. Where are you at btw? We're in cottonwood.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
What's the ratings? Pics, videos, and can stocks do it?
If you're asking about smiley. Its not rated but would probably be a class 3 according to Arizona ratings. Most of the trail is very tame only one section that is difficult. I have done twice when i was stock. Makes it more challenging for sure. We might have to move some boulders for you for tire placement but that's no problem. Its definitely good to sharpen your driving skills when you're stock
Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4

I camp in Oak Creek Canyon quite a bit, but depends if you want a site or not. I camp at Pine Set and always try for #4. It's right against creek, most hidden but in one area, and it's first come first serve (I just got back Sat night)

You can also book at Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov and use zip 86336

Since kids are back in school the first come first serve are TONS easier to get now and you will save a few dollars. Sites are $18 if you don't book online. We rolled in about noon on Friday and we were the 1st to get a first come first serve site, but all reserve sites were full. By end of night all sites were taken but maybe 6

If wanting to just camp anywhere, take Schnebly Hill Rd until you get in forest area, and there are tons of cool places to camp and even lakes. If you get off at Schnebly Hill Rd off I17 you will skip the long drive up from the Sedona side (but still fun)

I buy a yearly park pass every year and if I remember right, it's only $20. That will basically get you anywhere. If you park you need pass
Thanks so much! I thought about the Schnebly hill option too, so I'm glad you mentioned it. That area was pretty muddy in the forests after some Rains when I first drove thru in July. Being from Indiana, didn't know the first thing for camp sites. I'll be sure to look into the info you provided. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by treid
If you're asking about smiley. Its not rated but would probably be a class 3 according to Arizona ratings. Most of the trail is very tame only one section that is difficult. I have done twice when i was stock. Makes it more challenging for sure. We might have to move some boulders for you for tire placement but that's no problem. Its definitely good to sharpen your driving skills when you're stock
I'm not stock, just helping the ones that haven't asked
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Fenrir you will dig Pine Set if you are ok with campgrounds. Also Cave Springs is nice (they have showers if needed) also a bit further off 89a. You will see that campground a mile or so before Pine Set
Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

I saw the posts for Smiley Rock on the 19th. I don't think I can make that one, but will anyone be in the Sedona area on the 18th? I'm thinking drive up there from PHX on the 17th after work, camp or hotel, and then do some trails. I don't know how "touristy" the Sedona trails are, but I'm ready to do something a lil more challenging than Schnebly Hill. I did Box Canyon already and that was a blast, as well as the people I Jeep'd with! I'd also like to go check out Jerome and if there is time, check out some stuff in Flagstaff. I gotta get some sight seeing done while I'm here for the next 4-5 months!

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!