Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinJK
So I just picked up a set of KM2 37s for the JK... and I am experiencing some real anxiety about putting them on... From all of the threads I have read... they should fit fine.

The jeep already has:
4" lift
Bushwacker flat fenders
Bump stops
5.13 gears (auto)

I'm stressing out over things like pinch seam... cut or fold?

Turning Radius... do I need to adjust the stops?

Bump stops... how do you adjust those? Flex it and see what rubs?

Any advice to soothe my nerves would be appreciated!!
You should be fine, maybe a little rubbing at full turn on your control arms, if they arent bent for larger tires, and the only other thing would be if you dont hit your fenders at full stuff. Other wise you sound like you are set up. And from what I have read they are more like 35-36 inch range. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

So I just picked up a set of KM2 37s for the JK... and I am experiencing some real anxiety about putting them on... From all of the threads I have read... they should fit fine.

The jeep already has:
4" lift
Bushwacker flat fenders
Bump stops
5.13 gears (auto)

I'm stressing out over things like pinch seam... cut or fold?

Turning Radius... do I need to adjust the stops?

Bump stops... how do you adjust those? Flex it and see what rubs?

Any advice to soothe my nerves would be appreciated!!
Just take a saws all to the pinch seam that's a piece of cake.

If your jeep was properly bump stopped for the tires you have now you may need to extend them to prevent your tires from rubbing on the flares. Going from a 35 to a 37 usually means an extra .5 to .75 of bump stop. But I would mount them up and flex it out to see if anything rubs. In my book if it doesn't rub a little your not maximizing your flex.

As far as your Steering stops that will depend on the back spacing on your wheels, with 4.5" of back spacing you may get a little rubbing on the frame or your lower control arm which is not a big deal. But if it bothers you just turn them out a little.

If you want you can drive it out to my place in the sticks one evening and I'll run through it with you, it's not worth stressing over and I've gone through mine 4 times. It's real simple but helps if you have someone to watch as you flex it out.

Do you have any rubbing now?

How much room do you have between the tire and the flare when you are fully flexed?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

REALLY appreciate the help guys...

To answer some of your questions...

The wheels I have are an 18" wheel with 5 inches of backspace according to ProComp... My 35s rub just a little bit on the frame, and on the front sway bar, and on the lower control arm. Equally on each actually... So I'm thinking that the 37s will rub a little bit more.

The 35s don't rub anywhere else - and there actually has always seemed like there was plenty of space inside the fenders... more than I would have thought even at full stuff. They've never rubbed. I'm guessing there has been 1.5" clearance on the front at full stuff, and even more in the rear. The lift I have is a skyjacker, and I think the bump stop addons they have were probably very conservative...

I cut the pinch seam with a hacksaw. I was able to cut it on the flat - and it made a very nice straight cut... so I was happy with that. Just need to go back and JB weld and paint. Not sure where I can find the matching touch up - but probably friggin autozone or checker. Will try that.

So - having Discount tire do this thing tonight.... Should be interesting...

I'll be posting my current tires on Craig's list... if anyone is interested in a VERY cheap upgrade to 35s... They are Procomp extreme muds - 305 70 18. Plenty of tread left, and plenty of rock rash and missing rubber. Probably ask $250 for the full set of 5.

Will add a couple of the pics I have here of my jeep flexed out for reference...

Thanks again - can't wait to get out and wheel this thing!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1234.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	339869   Click image for larger version

Name:	0719111226a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	339871  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone going to the crown king multi club run the 14th?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

REALLY appreciate the help guys...

To answer some of your questions...

The wheels I have are an 18" wheel with 5 inches of backspace according to ProComp... My 35s rub just a little bit on the frame, and on the front sway bar, and on the lower control arm. Equally on each actually... So I'm thinking that the 37s will rub a little bit more.

The 35s don't rub anywhere else - and there actually has always seemed like there was plenty of space inside the fenders... more than I would have thought even at full stuff. They've never rubbed. I'm guessing there has been 1.5" clearance on the front at full stuff, and even more in the rear. The lift I have is a skyjacker, and I think the bump stop addons they have were probably very conservative...

I cut the pinch seam with a hacksaw. I was able to cut it on the flat - and it made a very nice straight cut... so I was happy with that. Just need to go back and JB weld and paint. Not sure where I can find the matching touch up - but probably friggin autozone or checker. Will try that.

So - having Discount tire do this thing tonight.... Should be interesting...

I'll be posting my current tires on Craig's list... if anyone is interested in a VERY cheap upgrade to 35s... They are Procomp extreme muds - 305 70 18. Plenty of tread left, and plenty of rock rash and missing rubber. Probably ask $250 for the full set of 5.

Will add a couple of the pics I have here of my jeep flexed out for reference...

Thanks again - can't wait to get out and wheel this thing!!
It looks like you should have pleanty of bump stop so I would not worry about that. The 5" back spacing may be a problem when you are turning.

Let me know how it works out!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone want to get out this weekend? I sure need to. The weather is supposed to be a little cooler with chances of showers. Right now I am thinking Saturday, doing Upper Woodpecker and Lower Ajax. I heard that there has been some dozing done on Woodpecker, so I want to see it for myself. I will post more details on the group page.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jlabe2
Anyone want to get out this weekend? I sure need to. The weather is supposed to be a little cooler with chances of showers. Right now I am thinking Saturday, doing Upper Woodpecker and Lower Ajax. I heard that there has been some dozing done on Woodpecker, so I want to see it for myself. I will post more details on the group page.
Damn would love too just short on time and moola this weekend!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

It always seems to get real quiet around here when anyone brings up hitting the trails!!! I already have plans for the lake this weekend an will probably not be wheeling again until I get a ram assist installed. Thanks for the invite.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would love to wheel this weekend but the freakin job gets in the way. I'll go next weekend.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

If no takers for weekend, I can wheel Mon, Tues, and the weekend.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!