Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Casey, do you think hydro assisted steering would help in this case?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
Well as some of you already know the jeep made its first short run on the new axles. Figured there would be no better way to break them in than a little run up anaconda at table Mesa. We only ran the first half and everything went great. I will say that I regret not getting a selectable locker for the front, the steering bind with the Detroit is unbelievable. Live and learn and spend more money replacing I guess. 40s go on Friday, I hope I can clear enough metal in the back to keep most or all of my up travel. The first half of anaconda is a little challenging and lockers are a must. If you have a 4 door you must have either 37s or a winch to make it up the first waterfall. Plan on doing the whole trail once the 40s are dialed in.
Most guys that run spools, detroits in the front will run a hydo assist or a steering ram, especially on rocks vs. sand or mud. Then after that you hear them talk about rippin tires from the bead or tearing a side wall out when they have a tire up against a rock and they just keep turning the steering wheel. Mostly rock guys will do this, sometimes mud guys when their tire is up against a tree root.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Sorry to hear that J
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jknockers

Most guys that run spools, detroits in the front will run a hydo assist or a steering ram, especially on rocks vs. sand or mud. Then after that you hear them talk about rippin tires from the bead or tearing a side wall out when they have a tire up against a rock and they just keep turning the steering wheel. Mostly rock guys will do this, sometimes mud guys when their tire is up against a tree root.
Yes my concern with just doing a ram is the amount of other problems they can cause. I recently recovered a YJ with bolts on his high stear arm that were sheared off from the power of the ram. I think the ram assist will be the next mod but I will be going arb in the front somewhere down the line
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Does the steering and the ride feel any different Casey?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
Does the steering and the ride feel any different Casey?
The turning radius is not quiet as tight. the ride is just a hair rougher because of the angle of the arms due to the 1" in extra lift courtesy of the larger axle tubes. I'm very pleased with it and I know it will ride better than ever once the long arm goes on.

Finally got some rubber!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-291045509.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	318579   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-760076116.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	318580  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

The turning radius is not quiet as tight. the ride is just a hair rougher because of the angle of the arms due to the 1" in extra lift courtesy of the larger axle tubes. I'm very pleased with it and I know it will ride better than ever once the long arm goes on.

Finally got some rubber!!!!
That thing is awesome!! I can't wait to get back out there and do some wheeling!!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

This fall....!!!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Default Phoenix JKs

This fall....!!!!!
WOW! That looks BADASS! are those your new tires? What long arm are you going with?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

This fall....!!!!!
Thats is a pretty awesome setup.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!