Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Drive shaft

Anyone know any local drive shaft builders/manufacturers? I've been doing some research, and many people recommend going with someone local when replacing the front drive shaft.

Also, when replacing the front drive shafts, is there another upgrade I should consider? Something about the U-joints or yokes?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by awesomo
Anyone know any local drive shaft builders/manufacturers? I've been doing some research, and many people recommend going with someone local when replacing the front drive shaft.

Also, when replacing the front drive shafts, is there another upgrade I should consider? Something about the U-joints or yokes?
Yo, Bobbie, don't sweat that boot being torn off your drive shaft. Many of us have done it. It hit the side of your tranny pan and tore. I tore mine the week after I put on my lift. Just worry about if the pan got so bent or it broke part of the tranny housing where the pan bolts up to. Also ya wanna keep an eye on where the rzeppa joint is up by the xfer case. I wouldn't and I haven't replaced my front drive shaft until my rzeppa joint starts making noise or spittin grease. If ya got any questions jus ask.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jknockers
Yo, Bobbie, don't sweat that boot being torn off your drive shaft. Many of us have done it. It hit the side of your tranny pan and tore. I tore mine the week after I put on my lift. Just worry about if the pan got so bent or it broke part of the tranny housing where the pan bolts up to. Also ya wanna keep an eye on where the rzeppa joint is up by the xfer case. I wouldn't and I haven't replaced my front drive shaft until my rzeppa joint starts making noise or spittin grease. If ya got any questions jus ask.
Thanks Tim! I read a bunch of people putting more then 20k miles on their rig after tearing a boot and experienced NO problems. I'll make sure to keep an eye out on that rzeppa joint. I also read that the Jeep will start vibrating when the DS is about to crap out?

I do remember a conversation you and I had about aftermarket drive shafts...and how problematic they can be!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am in for march 17 CK trip. What time and where is everyone meeting. I am coming off work and will have to get a lil vacation if meeting anytime before 9.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Default Jeep taking a dump!

Fortunately, my friend caught my Jeep on video when I tore the boot at the coves. It looks like it dropped a turd!

(38 seconds in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BfHG...1&feature=plcp
Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Yeah mine did the same thing goin up to CK when I had the 35's on it. Some will say they have not had a problem with aftermarket drive shafts and some will say they have a slight vib from their after market drive shafts. All I know is that there is no vib from the stock drive shafts so I'm stayin with them. I should get over 50-80K on the rear and 30-50K on the front, unless I bend them. With only my 4" lift, even when they do go bad, I'll probably just get somebody's new take-offs for a 100 bucks a piece. Rzeppa joints are known to be smooth and their strong enough for what we are doin.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dblaron
I am in for march 17 CK trip. What time and where is everyone meeting. I am coming off work and will have to get a lil vacation if meeting anytime before 9.
As long as I get back down below 2000 feet before 6 at night. Oh, and it ain't snowin,,,,, did I mention I can't stand the cold.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jknockers

As long as I get back down below 2000 feet before 6 at night. Oh, and it ain't snowin,,,,, did I mention I can't stand the cold.
What i got when i read that is your an early bird gizmo and cant eat chicken after 6 or get wet by slightly solid water molecules or little gremlins fly out of you and incubate until they take over the world.
But on second look i can totally see you meant you don't like any weather or altitude conditions that include 70 or less.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by awesomo

There is a custom driveline shop on 75th Ave just north of Olive.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have used them in the past on my tj they were awesome and good deal. Gonna head there as soon as i replace the mall crawler lift i inherited.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!