Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awesomo
Any idea why the tube and the center section isn't welded from the factory?
"From the factory" I have not seen any welded. I could just speculate that it may be a cost/time thing. I have seen plenty of them welded from Fabricators/4x4 enthusiast. When you have this all welded up, have someone that "knows" what they are doing and has done this b4. Also ask about "Is there a problem welding Nodular Iron to steel tubes ? " This will let them know, they need to know what they are doing. Have them explain any concerns. Some say heat the Nogular iron, some say "burn it hot", I say use the right weldin wire and burn it hot and you'll be ok. It's what has been shown and explained to me.

Ductile iron, also known as ductile cast iron, nodular cast iron, spheroidal graphite iron, spherulitic graphite cast iron[1] and SG iron, is a type of cast iron invented in 1943 by Keith Millis.[2] While most varieties of cast iron are brittle, ductile iron is much more flexible and elastic, due to its nodular graphite inclusions
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jknockers
"From the factory" I have not seen any welded. I could just speculate that it may be a cost/time thing. I have seen plenty of them welded from Fabricators/4x4 enthusiast. When you have this all welded up, have someone that "knows" what they are doing and has done this b4. Also ask about "Is there a problem welding Nodular Iron to steel tubes ? " This will let them know, they need to know what they are doing. Have them explain any concerns. Some say heat the Nogular iron, some say "burn it hot", I say use the right weldin wire and burn it hot and you'll be ok. It's what has been shown and explained to me.

Ductile iron, also known as ductile cast iron, nodular cast iron, spheroidal graphite iron, spherulitic graphite cast iron[1] and SG iron, is a type of cast iron invented in 1943 by Keith Millis.[2] While most varieties of cast iron are brittle, ductile iron is much more flexible and elastic, due to its nodular graphite inclusions
Thanks Tim! I'm talking with Peanut about it...
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Thanks Tim! I'm talking with Peanut about it...
He would definitely know about it. Good fabricator
Old 11-16-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
Was messin around on craigslist and came across this deal for you Unlimited guys

Phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/2701633235.html

^^^^^^thats seriously half off after taxes^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for posting this dude!! Picked them up this morning

... anyone have experience installing the Bushwhacker fenders? Is it a pretty big PITA? I'm not as handy as I'd like to be
Old 11-16-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SunnyD
Thanks for posting this dude!! Picked them up this morning

... anyone have experience installing the Bushwhacker fenders? Is it a pretty big PITA? I'm not as handy as I'd like to be
Its not a PITA, but will take some time if this is your first time doing it. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine. Theres nothing involved that takes a pro mechanic, but there are a lot little things that can bring the suck. Using the retainers are straight foward, but getting the nuts on some of the bolts can be tricky since theres not a lot of room to work with on the back side. A long, strong pair of needle nose will definatley help.

Heres the instructions just incase:
http://www.bushwacker.com/Instructions/10919_r5.pdf

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Vic
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AC/DC
Added this last weekend
Attachment 235648
Sweet cant wait to hear it!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Welcome AZOFFROAD!

Meet and Greets are always scheduled on the first Sat of each month. We occasionally meet up at other times; but we post it here to let everyone know. Also check out our group page:

https://www.jk-forum.com/group.php?groupid=31
Thanks awesomo....look forward to the first meet and greet.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, was that too much for you Casey?

I did not know that it was invented in 1943 by Keith Mills, but I have had a lot of experience with ductile iron while working with Case construction equipment.

Case backhoes (until to the most recent N models) had used ductile iron for their booms for decades. While all of the competition used fabricated booms. So in my personal sales and training experience I have had hundreds of conversations about the pros and cons of ductile iron with contactors, operators, mechanics, welders, engineers, etc.

The primary advantages of ductile iron for backhoe use was that it was stronger than a fabricated boom of the same size and it that was very flexible and thus less likely to crack or fail. The smaller size gave the operater's more visibilty while working. Case was so comfortable with the ductile iron booms that they gave a 5 year base warranty on them. In my experience they rarely broke. (I won't tell you how many dozen competition fabricated booms I personally saw failed... but it was a lot). When the Case ductile iron booms did break, it was due to extreme operator abuse. Yet Case still warrantied them (that was amazing in itself... as Case is owned by Fiat like Jeep is now).

As I noted earlier Case's N model backhoes no longer use ductile iron. The reasons that I gathered were that though it was still the best material for Case's purpose, it was too expensive to keep the whole boom ductile iron. Also China is the only place that has active manufacturing facilities that will cast items as large as the backhoe boom in ductile iron.

Anyway I know Case warned (it was in writing in the casting) not to weld on the ductile iron. The main reason for the no welding warning, as I was told by the welders/mechanics, was not that it could not be welded, but that people screw up the welding too often and the ductile iron gets weaks... thus it breaks.

Sorry if I bored you guys with my story, but I have heard so much about ductile iron in my life and most people have no clue or care that it existed.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by remark
LOL, was that too much for you Casey?

I did not know that it was invented in 1943 by Keith Mills, but I have had a lot of experience with ductile iron while working with Case construction equipment.

Case backhoes (until to the most recent N models) had used ductile iron for their booms for decades. While all of the competition used fabricated booms. So in my personal sales and training experience I have had hundreds of conversations about the pros and cons of ductile iron with contactors, operators, mechanics, welders, engineers, etc.

The primary advantages of ductile iron for backhoe use was that it was stronger than a fabricated boom of the same size and it that was very flexible and thus less likely to crack or fail. The smaller size gave the operater's more visibilty while working. Case was so comfortable with the ductile iron booms that they gave a 5 year base warranty on them. In my experience they rarely broke. (I won't tell you how many dozen competition fabricated booms I personally saw failed... but it was a lot). When the Case ductile iron booms did break, it was due to extreme operator abuse. Yet Case still warrantied them (that was amazing in itself... as Case is owned by Fiat like Jeep is now).

As I noted earlier Case's N model backhoes no longer use ductile iron. The reasons that I gathered were that though it was still the best material for Case's purpose, it was too expensive to keep the whole boom ductile iron. Also China is the only place that has active manufacturing facilities that will cast items as large as the backhoe boom in ductile iron.

Anyway I know Case warned (it was in writing in the casting) not to weld on the ductile iron. The main reason for the no welding warning, as I was told by the welders/mechanics, was not that it could not be welded, but that people screw up the welding too often and the ductile iron gets weaks... thus it breaks.

Sorry if I bored you guys with my story, but I have heard so much about ductile iron in my life and most people have no clue or care that it existed.

Maybe I should take a welding class at MCC: http://www.mesacc.edu/dept/d58/wld/

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!