Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DARCKS
Has anyone ever replace there dana 44 front pinion seal and how hard was it? I need to fix mine.
Not on a JK, I did it on a 9 bolt posi on my old 65 Mustang. It wasn't hard it was very time consuming!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Driveshaft at rearend off

Take 35mm (I think) socket to big nut on yoke off

remove yoke

Take seal out ( screwdriver or chisel to catch the edge and bend it in and you will be able to pop it out)

clean area good

tap in new seal with big socket or very carefully tap it in with hammer going around the seal evenly and take care it can be done

Put grease on lip of seal

put back in yoke

put on nut and torque to about 100 ft lbs, dont go too much cause you can cause problems with bearings.

After you have nut on and torqued stake the nut right next to where it meets the threads and mark with a little paint stripe so you can see if it moves
Old 10-25-2011, 09:34 PM
JK Freak

Default PHOENIX JK's

OK FOLKS!! its getting close for Parker. Is anyone going? If you have any Questions PM me or call me. Its HOORAH TIME!!:dru nk: C'mon lets go!! Nov. 11,12, and 13th
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was messin around online (as usual) looking at places I wanna hit up on my Bday (11th) so I will miss that run,. BUT I came across a place called the Mogollon Rim outside of Payson. If I can talk Shannon in to camping out and it's not too stupid cold out, we will most likely camp at Spillway Campground. Im going to look at hotels close to there as well just incase. Has anyone ever been to the Mogollon Rim? Pictures look worth the trip! Is it hiking to see the views? Any info would be awesome.. If it's a great place to go, maybe we can make a run out of this or something
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
I was messin around online (as usual) looking at places I wanna hit up on my Bday (11th) so I will miss that run,. BUT I came across a place called the Mogollon Rim outside of Payson. If I can talk Shannon in to camping out and it's not too stupid cold out, we will most likely camp at Spillway Campground. Im going to look at hotels close to there as well just incase. Has anyone ever been to the Mogollon Rim? Pictures look worth the trip! Is it hiking to see the views? Any info would be awesome.. If it's a great place to go, maybe we can make a run out of this or something
Mogollon Rim is a pretty significant feature in this state, so yeah most of us have been there. If I am correct the campground is at Woods Canyon Lake. The closest hotels/rooms would be in Forest Lakes. If you go farther then Heber has some places. If you go back below the rim try Christopher Creek or Kohls Ranch.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jknockers
Driveshaft at rearend off

Take 35mm (I think) socket to big nut on yoke off

remove yoke

Take seal out ( screwdriver or chisel to catch the edge and bend it in and you will be able to pop it out)

clean area good

tap in new seal with big socket or very carefully tap it in with hammer going around the seal evenly and take care it can be done

Put grease on lip of seal

put back in yoke

put on nut and torque to about 100 ft lbs, dont go too much cause you can cause problems with bearings.

After you have nut on and torqued stake the nut right next to where it meets the threads and mark with a little paint stripe so you can see if it moves
First of all this is beyond my mechanical abilities, but playing with this area kind of makes me nervous. I was reading up about the area (so not this exact issue) when I was about to install my Trailmaster front driveshaft. I kind of freaked myself out the more I dug into it with the fear of overtorquing the pinion nut. There are a few write ups warning how to not do it and how to correctly do it. In the end it was a non-issue for me since when I looked at the Trailmaster driveshaft I realized it used the stock yoke.

Anyway here is a link where they talk a little about the pinon nut torque. Look at their step 13 in the write up.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ear-Driveshaft
Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by remark

Anyway here is a link where they talk a little about the pinon nut torque. Look at their step 13 in the write up.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ear-Driveshaft
Andrew is right, I've always stopped at around 100 ft.lbs for fear of re-crushing the sleeve and kinda un-doing the gear/bearing set-up. I just found after initial set-up 100 was enough and a safe torque for the yoke nut. Just make sure you stake the nut and mark it with paint so you can look at it to see if it has backed off.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

That would suck to have it too tight or too loose! Either way, you could probably google and get the correct info. Or just call a local drivetrain repair shop or dealer for that fact and ask them where they set it up at. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4DARCKS
Ready to go tear up the sand boys and girls. See you all at the meet n greet next weekend.
Have fun buddy!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

The mogollon rim is awesome. Forest road 300 (rim road) is a graded dirt road with spectacular views. I have always dry camped there and october 8th was cold, like 30 degrees.

For the pinion seal as long as it isn't over tightened or under tightened (6 in.lbs. rotational force) its easy. If i remember correctly The trailmaster front driveshaft doesn't replace the pinion yoke, only the transfer case yoke. That's the way the rear is also.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!