Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes longer bump stops and coil spring retainers are both needed. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
Yes longer bump stops and coil spring retainers are both needed. Good luck!
Wish I would have known earlier. All good, maybe I wasn't paying attention. ha.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

No worries Love, we will back you up!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't get how longer bump stops helps coil unload. They will limit up travel on the other side of the axle, which I understand will not let the opposite fall as far, but you still lose travel. I was always told that if the coil unloads too far, that the shock is possibly too long. I would flex the Jeep after the disconnects are installed to see if the coils are close to coming out of the carrier. The clips that Husker showed is a very good idea at the very least. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jlabe2
I don't get how longer bump stops helps coil unload. They will limit up travel on the other side of the axle, which I understand will not let the opposite fall as far, but you still lose travel. I was always told that if the coil unloads too far, that the shock is possibly too long. I would flex the Jeep after the disconnects are installed to see if the coils are close to coming out of the carrier. The clips that Husker showed is a very good idea at the very least. Just my 2 cents worth.
X 2.... I guess that maybe a longer bumpstop would keep it from being able to move to far but who wants to limit their flex more than they have to. I say if you want to play it safe just add some spring retainer clips.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
X 2.... I guess that maybe a longer bumpstop would keep it from being able to move to far but who wants to limit their flex more than they have to. I say if you want to play it safe just add some spring retainer clips.
Sigh. You guys are supposed to make it EASY for me. "Go buy get this, Love, and you are set!" LOL!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL. You are going to find out Love, that there are as many opinions as to how to do things as there are mods for our Jeeps. Just do your homework and do what you think is best for your Jeep and your pocketbook.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Super Freak

When ever I have changed anything on my suspension I have done just as jeff said and flexed it all the way out. No need to make any changes or add bumpstops or spring retainers you don't need. Put it all together and test it out love.... I don't run retainer clips and I didn't extend my front bump stops until I switched from 35s to 37s. Every set up is different.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jlabe2
LOL. You are going to find out Love, that there are as many opinions as to how to do things as there are mods for our Jeeps. Just do your homework and do what you think is best for your Jeep and your pocketbook.
Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
When ever I have changed anything on my suspension I have done just as jeff said and flexed it all the way out. No need to make any changes or add bumpstops or spring retainers you don't need. Put it all together and test it out love.... I don't run retainer clips and I didn't extend my front bump stops until I switched from 35s to 37s. Every set up is different.
Thanks Guys. I will see if I can get with 4DARCKS this week and get it done. You all know I am not hardcore (yet ha!), but I wouldn't want to pop a spring like Capone! I'm pretty happy with 35's so shouldn't need as much modification as I go.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

On the JK the shock is suppose to be the limiter of the axle drop. IF you happen to put a longer shock on it than what came with the lift then yeah its possible for the axle to drop tooo much and the spring on the bottom will unseat (unless you go with the spring retainer and hopefully its strong enough to hold the spring cause the spring will be trying to pull up on the retainer which will be attached to the axle). Love monkey, I think you would be fine with your set-up no matter what you did to the swaybar (disconnects or not). I would think the shock WOULD NOT let the axle drop too much or so much that the spring would come unseated. I have unseated my driver front spring 1 time. I look at the seating before after I wheel and if it is unseated I flex it and reach in and turn the spring with both hands and reseat it into the notch it's suppose to be in.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!