Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by remark
LOL I am not that ballsy or pushy. But it is a thought.
tell them they need to test it on 33" not 37" never been done before
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Default 2.5 vs 3inch Lift

Considerations for a Lift:
- Daily Driver mommy mobile M-F
- Does a lift affect MPG?
- Wheeling 1-2 a month
- Trail Difficulty: 1(dirt roads) - 10(extreme rock crawling) I want to do a 7.5-8
- I plan to get 33's

I think I'm pretty solid on 3" lift. (A little more clearance then the 2.5 and not as extreme as 4) . I'm eyeballing the TeraFlex 3" Lift Kit with VSS Shocks.

A couple questions. For a 4door, how much of an advantage/necessity is it to upgrade to short arms? long arms? Is there an arm kit that will match up with the Teraflex 3" lift kit that I can upgrade to later down the road?

My budget is around 1000-1500, is there a better overall setup for the price?

Is the only difference between the teraflex coil/shock 2.5 lift and the 3.0 lift, a 0.5 spacer?

Last edited by awesomo; 06-20-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awesomo
Considerations for a Lift:
- Daily Driver mommy mobile M-F
- Does a lift affect MPG?
- Wheeling 1-2 a month
- Trail Difficulty: 1(dirt roads) - 10(extreme rock crawling) I want to do a 7.5-8
- I plan to get 33's

I think I'm pretty solid on 3" lift. (A little more clearance then the 2.5 and not as extreme as 4) . I'm eyeballing the TeraFlex 3" Lift Kit with VSS Shocks.

A couple questions. For a 4door, how much of an advantage/necessity is it to upgrade to short arms? long arms? Is there an arm kit that will match up with the Teraflex 3" lift kit that I can upgrade to later down the road?

My budget is around 1000-1500, is there a better overall setup for the price?

Is the only difference between the teraflex coil/shock 2.5 lift and the 3.0 lift, a 0.5 spacer?
In my experience lift doesn't effect mpg, tires size, gearing and added weight do.

Long arms are nice for smooth travel, esp at higher speeds and great flex. Cons are they are hard to install (grind off old mounts and weld on new ones) and can be a low point to scrap/get stuck on when going over an obstacle.

Go on several rides and determine the size tire you really want. I have 33s and they are great for city and mild offroad, but they suck for any fun stuff offroad. I will be going to 35s (37s are cool, but I dont want to push my D30) when I wear the 33s out. Also the heavier the tire the more mods (think sleeves and gusseting the housing, axles, gearing, tire carrier). With your planned offroading 35s seems more reasonable. (Be sure to check the measurements of whatever tire you get before you buy them, some 35s measure closer to 33 and some closer to 35)

All the manufacturers have good 3 inch kits. Whatever you do make sure it is 3 inches of lift (some 5 inch kits are 3 inches on a 4 door, etc). Whatever you decide with tires and lift remember the 4 doors have a much worse breakover angle than the 2 doors. So trying to keep up with a similarly set up 2 door is next to impossible for the 4 door. The 4 door has to get an extra inch or 2 to compete with a 2 door. (Ask me how I know.....)

In the end I would have gone with the Trailmaster short arm if I had to do it all over. (The long arm would be great, but that is more $). At your budget you will not get a full set up, but that is not a problem (kit pricing is good evidence of how complete the kit is and the quality. Also I am assuming you are doing your own labor or not including it in the kit price). You can get the main parts first and then work up to the full kit (ie you do not need to get all the arms first, etc). Talk to the guys at Trailmaster/ ORFab. They can help you out with questions and a lift. They even come out to the M&G and trail runs with us.

One more thing that I have learned is that you if save money now and don't set you jeep up right for you, you will spend more money on upgrades/replacements and repairs from offroading where your jeep shouldn't be. So do it right the first time, even if it is in small steps.

Last edited by remark; 06-20-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:09 AM
JK Freak

Default PHOENIX JK's

I just went from a 3" Tera Flex, 35" tires with Rancho 5000 shocks. 5.13 gears and ARB lockers. I did just fine. Though I did wheel my jeep pretty good, I didn't abuse it. I maintaind it regulerly. That bein said, My lift was 2 years old and had to replace two bushings (soft rubber made in Mexico) Front track bar (cause of bad death wobble Hiem joints). But when all was good it was just squirly. I thought that was the norm and eccepted it. WRONG!!!!! After getting the new TrailMaster LA, STEALTH, As Tony was saying, we were doing 50mph through 20mph hairpin turns! Its hard to comprehend that but, no body roll and a verry tight stable suspenion.

Now imagine a 4.5" lifted jeep with 37" tires going 50 on a 20mph turn flawlesly! I felt like I was driving a sports car. Like me you are truly not going to understand this until you experience it for yourself. I was a little unsure of cutting and welding on my frame but man am I glad I did. My jeep is fun to drive again. As for hanging up on the arms, that is why its called the STEALTH! stand back and look, If the arms were not silver you would'nt see them, My Tera short arms hung lower.
Do yourself a favor and check out these jeeps at the next M&G. I wont be there but my wife will bring the jeep. You can see a 2dr or a 4dr Tony will be there to answer your questions. Ask him about a test drive in either jeep.
Full flex pics comming soon!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cant wait to see the new rides John and Tony... I didnt know you guys were back? Looked like Tony's was still up on the rack? Where's the finished product pic's?

Come on guys - dont hold out... Do the unvail already!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AhMyGawd
Cant wait to see the new rides John and Tony... I didnt know you guys were back? Looked like Tony's was still up on the rack? Where's the finished product pic's?

Come on guys - dont hold out... Do the unvail already!!!
Dan, Dan, Dan... In your words "A man knows what a man wants" but we also have ladies on the forum. I can't just jump into it!
More to follow!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Capone
Dan, Dan, Dan... In your words "A man knows what a man wants" but we also have ladies on the forum. I can't just jump into it!
More to follow!!!
Capone & Rde2Rok have everyone shivering with antici....pation
Well done
Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

How come rear bump stops on the front????

Originally Posted by Capone

Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Default Phx JK Contact list

I apologize for screwing this up!

Are there two Dan's in this group? I thought AhMyGawd = Dan? I guess there is another Dan with a phone number that ends with '53'?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jknockers
How come rear bump stops on the front????
Stock front. Just removed the TF extension.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!