Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like it was a " Great Jeep Experience " or just a jeep thing
Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sheks4ever
You forgot where I almost got stuck goijg over that V slot part in the road and my axle fell on that. But I was able to get off in reverse. And I also got on 2 wheels again @ that part. Not a good place...
Um...not really.....
Some things were omitted or changed to protect the tarded
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well its out now!! Haha. Ya note to self don't wheel with wes alone. Hahaha

Originally Posted by MangoMadness

Um...not really.....
Some things were omitted or changed to protect the tarded
Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 PM
JK Junkie

WOW GUYS!!! You could have been seriously jacked!
Note to self Only go out with the most experienced trail guides :rotfl mao2:
Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an easy New River Canyon trip. If you want it in reverse you start at 7 springs and go all the way to table mesa road. I suppose you could find a way from Bartlett lake to 7 springs.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Suuuup....

Most, if not all, of us have this book. "Captain Morgan" (Sheks) and myself decided to try one of the trails (Telegraph Line Road) and found it to be closed. According to "funtreks" there is an update regarding this trail that we failed to see before our excursion. It appears the trail has been closed since 2005 due to damage caused by the Bart fire. So just a heads up....check the funtreks website before an outing or waste time like we did

Now a trail that isn't closed is New River Canyon. So we (I) decided to go there. After all it ENDS at Bartlett dam road and we were already there. Why not do it in reverse?

Pretty much HUGE mistake...you guys, or most, know I am a stocker at present. The book says "suitable for STOCK SUVs". Well yeah it says more but that's all I saw...or wanted to see mebbe. Perhaps I just wanted to get the jeep into 4x4 for the first time and missed the part that mentioned "High ground clearance" and "Aggresive"

The good news is I didn't really have any problems until that part the book calls the "HIGH RIDGE PASS". The bad news is that it seemed to be a day for making bad or wrong decisions. The book list a House near a "High Ridge Pass". We found the house or A house in the middle of BFE. (We think we were at the correct spot...not 100 percent sure though). And there was a ridge nearby with a trail. We looked at the book over and over....looked at each other and said..."Party on Garth!"

Now remember....I have NEVER done this type of driving.....
Chris wants to make sure the trail we see up the ridge is doable as well as the correct path so he (on foot) runs up this ridge for a bit to look at the conditions. Upon his return I get the

I ask him...you think i can make it? Yeah.

Pucker Factor ENGAGE!

After removing a TREE blocking my path, we start up this ridge. The first part is short and of moderate grade....I get up it and think to myself "This is a piece of cake" then i come up on the second climb...OMG...longer and twice the grade and if that weren't enough...there is a 180 right turn in the middle of it made for two door types....I barely make the turn just in time to see my lifted (with meaty tires) friend's rear-end bouncing and sliding right....then left and throwing rocks like a Palestinian. This is NOT the site a "First-Timer" with stock stuff wants to see....I know...I was there. All I could think was "If he's having problems, I'm gonna freakin die!!!!!". I shift into 1 and (scared out of my mind) power on. My face is on the windshield all the way up this section I get to the top just in time to see my partner miss the second 180 switchback and have to back the F up to complete the turn. As I'm watching him back-up I'm fumbling for the CB mic to tell him hes approaching the edge....but I guess he saw that as well because before i could key up, he stopped and completed the turn. I get to the turn and I know i am going to have to swing wide to make this turn but all my mind is saying is "There is DEATH to the wide side....STAY LEFT!" Suffice to say i couldn't make the turn either. Chris is already out of his rig when i start the turn....and i tell him "I don't mind telling you....I'm a lil worried". He tells me to stay put and goes up a bit further (again on foot) to check out the trail still in front of us. While he is gone...I attempt to shove the brake pedal through the floorboard while at the same time climb on top of my dash because I feel that is a safer place . When he returns he gives me the bad news...."It appears the trail goes across this whole range and gets STEEPER". That's enough for me....ABORT!

So now I have to do this 20 point turn around to get pointed back down the hill. Chris directs my motions and we get it situated in the right direction. By the way..."Decent Control" is F'ing AWESOME. The jeep virtually descended on its own with this option engaged. Once off the trail I hear this "ding" and I see an icon light up that I'm unfamiliar with....Chris says it's a tire going down. We got that changed and continued onward.

All in all it was a great day and today i plan on ironing out all the pleats my arse created in my seat

I do plan on going back out there....but i will wait till I have proper gear.

Peace
Funny as hell!!! Now...

Wow - See thats how news is made here in AZ... "Two Jeeps head off for a nice little trail ride and two men Vanish" Tune in at 10 for the full story...

Glad you two made it back alive...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mango, those runs build character Now dont you feel like a character... I am starting to wonder about that book Dan and I got in to a similar situation at Sunflower mine
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Ahh yes, a stocker will make Sunflower....thats what all the friends told me....Ya it will with a lot of patience and rockstacking But I did make it stock. Dan and Tony if and when you want to attempt that trail call me. I have done it 3 times now. In fact we should plan that one soon Glad to hear Chris and Wess made it back safely with little to no damage. Nice Job boys. Oh ya where was the invite?? J/K
Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by remark
There is an easy New River Canyon trip. If you want it in reverse you start at 7 springs and go all the way to table mesa road. I suppose you could find a way from Bartlett lake to 7 springs.
We were doing it in reverse....we started at Bartlett Rd to 7 Springs....but stopped we assume, at the "High Ridge Pass". We were losing light quickly and weren't 100 percent sure where the Highway was. According to the book, the Highway should have been within 10 miles from where we were....or thought we were...but my garmin dint show anything....The only thing we WERE 100 percent sure of was that a reverse direction would get us back so we took it. If anyone has done this trail before successfully, I would be happy to return....But i need bigger tires at minimum.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were doing it in reverse....we started at Bartlett Rd to 7 Springs....but stopped we assume, at the "High Ridge Pass". We were losing light quickly and weren't 100 percent sure where the Highway was. According to the book, the Highway should have been within 10 miles from where we were....or thought we were...but my garmin dint show anything....The only thing we WERE 100 percent sure of was that a reverse direction would get us back so we took it. If anyone has done this trail before successfully, I would be happy to return....But i need bigger tires at minimum.
Like I said I don't know the Bartlett to 7 Springs, but I know the 7 Springs to Table Mesa Road (which is New River Canyon).

If you want I can show you the section I know. It is a run stockers can make and takes 1 3/4 hours. Of course you have to get to 7 Springs which is 12 miles up a dirt (county maintained) road.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!