Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbes69
Hey all wanting run the salt to young run on the 14th with me so far I still don't have much info but it looks like we will be meeting at the bottom of the canyon around 9 am so let me know how many and I'm going to also try to make the m and g this sat I think thats when it is let me know if I'm wrong
I haven't done that run. Can you tell me anything about it?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jknockers
Mango,, If ya go on their web site (B&M) I think I read sumtin bout they designate the big coolers "for racing purposes only" cause it's a "universal" cooler and can be utilized on different vehicles,,, sumtin the lawyers may have made them do,, jus like the "roll cages" gotta be called "sport bars" have to go check it out,, anyway, no it won't hurt anything,, especially out in this heat,,, I read the PDF manual online about our tranny and actual operating range from manual is 150 to around 220 degrees,, Not concerned about it runnin toooo cool out here
Aight...been to the site and after seeing all the different models....I started thinking....and usually that is a dangerous thing.

<start ramble>

Anyway....If I'm correct...the heating issue only rears its ugly head when 4x4 (high) is engaged or so I have been reading. So the question bouncing around my head is this....Is sufficient airflow going to be created while in 4x4 high? Because I see the models with the fan (Hi-Tek) and wonder if they might be better suited for the slower 4x4 applications. Additionally, what factors were considered in your decision? Do you think the hi-tek is over-kill and not needed? Basically I like the fan assisted models but don't want to pay for something not needed.

<end ramble>

Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

The overheat/hot oil problem shows up in 4 high and 2 wd. That doesn't preclude it showing up in 4 low if you act stupidly. Knowing what factors cause it and can control it are better than any cooler.

The problem with offroading in Az is that we hit a lot of the perfect conditions for the hot oil light to come on.

Yes a fan assisted model is better. If you wire in a separate switch for an electric fan to blow over your aux cooler then you are better than an aux cooler.

You have to remember the aux cooler is only added help, it is not a complete solution (unless you find a gigantic one).
Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow Andrew...almost like you know what you are talking about!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
Wow Andrew...almost like you know what you are talking about!
yep and free advice is worth what you pay for it.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice! So where is the M&G?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Nice! So where is the M&G?
Dunno but the UFC fights are happening Sat night...
Old 05-01-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by remark
The overheat/hot oil problem shows up in 4 high and 2 wd. That doesn't preclude it showing up in 4 low if you act stupidly. Knowing what factors cause it and can control it are better than any cooler.

The problem with offroading in Az is that we hit a lot of the perfect conditions for the hot oil light to come on.

Yes a fan assisted model is better. If you wire in a separate switch for an electric fan to blow over your aux cooler then you are better than an aux cooler.

You have to remember the aux cooler is only added help, it is not a complete solution (unless you find a gigantic one).
Sweet....looks like I'm going the Hi-tek route. The cooler has a thermal switch which activates at 175 and has dimensions of 13-1/2"x9"x3-1/2" with 9-1/2" diameter fan. Appears to be the biggest they sell

Thanks for the info
Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Mango just dont forget about the increased trans fluid you will need. Dont want to run it low.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Mango just dont forget about the increased trans fluid you will need. Dont want to run it low.
yup yup

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!