Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AC/DC
I did the cheap evap relocation, cost $4.00 in stainless steel nuts and bolts. Works great at stock height too. Attachment 154121
I was planning on getting a skid plate for the evap canister....is it worth it?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awesomo
The simple fact is the lower you are the more important it is to protect it. If you don't offroad or have a big lift/tires then it is not much of an issue.

For protection of the evap canister relocation is best. People get a bit nervous about relocation because you cut a line (and then reattach it). They feel that it might void a warranty. Also some people's jeeps throw a code if the line is not reattached correctly (ie has a leak).

The skid plate is the other option. There are many different manufacturers of the skids. They are simple to install and do not require cutting of any lines. The other advantage is that you may get some protection for your rear drive line.

I am on my second skid plate. (Yes I am wimpy and paranoid about cutting the line) The first was a Benchmark skid plate and I loved it. It was strong as could be, but I destroyed it on the Parker trip in February. It did save my rear drive line, but it got so bent up I had to replace it. (It started to rub on my rear drive line when I was at full flex). I now have the Rock Hard skid plate. It is also strong, but it is much lower profile than the Benchmark. (Btw I would have used Benchmark again, but watching this forum the company seems a bit unresponsive and behind on its promises).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Evap Guard 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	154151Click image for larger version

Name:	Evap Guard 3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	154152
If anything happens again I am just doing the relocation.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

I'm gonna relo it to above rear axle,, I'm sure I can find the stuff to do it from Home depot and auto zone,, lot cheaper than buyin the kit,,, In sayin this I just reused the stock muffler heat shield (curved it by hand and cut it with some sheet metal scissors and afixed it in place for the magnaflow I jus put on. Theres a lot you can do instead of buyin some of that stuff out of the mag's. I relocated the license plate just now also (no tramp stamp/or named stuff for me),,, the plate has 4 spacers,, took out the rubber/plastic vent thing and the plate looks to just be hanging there with black spacers in the plate bolt holes (no bracket necessary)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jknockers
I'm gonna relo it to above rear axle,, I'm sure I can find the stuff to do it from Home depot and auto zone,, lot cheaper than buyin the kit,,, In sayin this I just reused the stock muffler heat shield (curved it by hand and cut it with some sheet metal scissors and afixed it in place for the magnaflow I jus put on. Theres a lot you can do instead of buyin some of that stuff out of the mag's. I relocated the license plate just now also (no tramp stamp/or named stuff for me),,, the plate has 4 spacers,, took out the rubber/plastic vent thing and the plate looks to just be hanging there with black spacers in the plate bolt holes (no bracket necessary)
Jknockers...I'm coming over so you can do the same to my Jeep!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Jknockers...I'm coming over so you can do the same to my Jeep!
Bring it,,,, the way I see it,,, lets give it a shot,,, if things dont work out,,, we can always spring for the kit,, kinda how I'm lookin at stuff,,,, gonna use up the stock stuff till it goes south then replace it with better stuff,,, get the use outta the stuff you already have first,,,,
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

JKnockers...you going on the trail run this weekend, if they decide on somewhere close by?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wish I had a normal job so I could have weekends off!!! I want to hit up some trails. I'm running out of sick time too. So that doesn't help any hahaha
Old 04-26-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jknockers what are you doing with the spare? Running spareless or keeping it in the back? Post some pics of ur plate reloc too.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

JKnockers...you going on the trail run this weekend, if they decide on somewhere close by?
yep,,, I had a brain fart n thought this sat was m&g,,but its the next so yeah I will go as long as its not all the way up in Colorado,,,

Last edited by Jknockers; 04-26-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sheks4ever
Jknockers what are you doing with the spare? Running spareless or keeping it in the back? Post some pics of ur plate reloc too.
ok,, jus sat down 4 lunch ,, ya gonna have to give me a little bit,,, gonna run the 35 I got even when I go 38's,,, it'll be ok,, I use to do this all the time,,, the spare will stay layin down in the very back

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!