Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
Casey...was Darren able to help you out? Payette Draw would be awesome.....but maybe closer to summer time huh?
YEAH THANKS!!! I am taking the jeep in on friday afternoon for some warranty work If all goes well ill be in good shape. Next mod will be chromolly axles for sure, then 37s Thanks for the HOOK UP

Payette draw in may sounds good to me
Old 02-27-2011, 12:12 AM
JK Freak

Default PHOENIX JK's

OK Guy's I need some input! Here's the deal, I want to go to 37s but I have a D30 in the front. I'm already too far into the D30(ARB Locker,5:13s) If I sleeve & gusset and go RCV axles I will have a built D30.Will this be strong enough to WHEEL 37s? Even if I find a Rubi D44, ARB does not make a locker for a front D44. So what do you think? YEA! or NEA!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

John, As you know I run 37's on a Stock D30 front (recent sleeve and gusset - only for peace of mind).

I have done allot of research on this subject (remember my Christmas list diatribe). I recieved a ton of advise but, the most sound advise came from Joe (Absolute). He explained the weak points of the D30 which, can never be fixed or masked - no matter what you do.

You will spend a ton of money and never have what you would need in a D30.

So, he said start with a D44 and build on that platform as it has bigger/better knuckles and joints. That is if you can find a new or used D44. If you do find one - you will find that in building one, you are going to be close to the cost of a Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 bolt on.

So, thats why i am not spending any money in my D30. I will either find a D44 and build or continue to save for a Dynatrac. (If my wife had it her way i would sell my Harley and/or Benz first.

As Joe explained, the D30 will be fine as long as I am not getting real crazy and dont thrash on it. Now you know why I dont take the same lines as you, Casey and others at times...

So, John stop spending money on the D30 as it will only make a loud flushing sound in the future.

But, dont take my novice advise - If you have some time go see Joe, as he holds much more credibility than I...

Originally Posted by Rde2Rok
OK Guy's I need some input! Here's the deal, I want to go to 37s but I have a D30 in the front. I'm already too far into the D30(ARB Locker,5:13s) If I sleeve & gusset and go RCV axles I will have a built D30.Will this be strong enough to WHEEL 37s? Even if I find a Rubi D44, ARB does not make a locker for a front D44. So what do you think? YEA! or NEA!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sell the d30 to someone that runs 33" or 35" and go big as you can $$$ afford then you will not have to worry about it . give them a good deal 37" will eat d30 even if you go with rcv axles my 37" needs bigger diameter axles
Old 02-27-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AhMyGawd
John, As you know I run 37's on a Stock D30 front (recent sleeve and gusset - only for peace of mind).

I have done allot of research on this subject (remember my Christmas list diatribe). I recieved a ton of advise but, the most sound advise came from Joe (Absolute). He explained the weak points of the D30 which, can never be fixed or masked - no matter what you do.

You will spend a ton of money and never have what you would need in a D30.

So, he said start with a D44 and build on that platform as it has bigger/better knuckles and joints. That is if you can find a new or used D44. If you do find one - you will find that in building one, you are going to be close to the cost of a Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 bolt on.

So, thats why i am not spending any money in my D30. I will either find a D44 and build or continue to save for a Dynatrac. (If my wife had it her way i would sell my Harley and/or Benz first.

As Joe explained, the D30 will be fine as long as I am not getting real crazy and dont thrash on it. Now you know why I dont take the same lines as you, Casey and others at times...

So, John stop spending money on the D30 as it will only make a loud flushing sound in the future.

But, dont take my novice advise - If you have some time go see Joe, as he holds much more credibility than I...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

Default D30

Trust me guy's, I have been loosing 3 hrs of sleep per night researching this there is a lot on this topic so consider this: the D30 & D44 have the same housing, nuckles Cs, The D44 has a bigger pumpkin for the Ring, even the Pinion gear is the same size. With that being said, A D30 Sleeved w/C gussets(same kit as D44) RCV axles (same strength as D44) ARB Locker (Stronger than a Rubi E-locker) my only week point is going to be my R/P. At least I have a 5:13 and not the weak 5:38! So even if I find a D44 I will still have to Sleeve & gusset,RCV axle. In the end my built D30 will be stronger than a stock D44! Now you guy's can understand the TRAMA that I'v been goin through in my head! I go to bed thinking about it and wake up thinking about it, and oh yeah! ALL DAY LONG!!! Thanks for your input guy's. I havn't made up my mind yet, but am leaning to D30.

Last edited by Rde2Rok; 02-27-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Trust me guy's, I have been loosing 3 hrs of sleep per night researching this there is a lot on this topic so consider this: the D30 & D44 have the same housing, nuckles Cs, The D44 has a bigger pumpkin for the Ring, even the Pinion gear is the same size. With that being said, A D30 Sleeved w/C gussets(same kit as D44) CRV axles (same strength as D44) ARB Locker (Stronger than a Rubi E-locker) my only week point is going to be my R/P. At least I have a 5:13 and not the weak 5:38! So even if I find a D44 I will still have to Sleeve & gusset,CRV axle. In the end my built D30 will be stronger than a stock D44! Now you guy's can understand the TRAMA that I'v been goin through in my head! I go to bed thinking about it and wake up thinking about it, and oh yeah! ALL DAY LONG!!! Thanks for your input guy's. I havn't made up my mind yet, but am leaning to D30.
Now , I am staying with d30 just put sleeves & gussets arb locker riddler diff. covers in but stock d30 axles 27 spline stock .<<(Thats what I have now) . d44 30 spline stock you can put in bigger ones but then locker has to be changed d30 can go 30 spline d44 can go 35 spline axle shafts Right ?

Last edited by peanut; 02-27-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

John, I have the D30 sleeved and gussetted and I don't think I would go bigger than 35. I think Dynatrac axle or Ford axle reworked would be the way to go.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I have seen guys run 37's on a d30 with no preblems just depends on how you drive. But I wouldent upgrade from a 30 to a rubi44 to me its a waste of money go with a aftermarket 44 there is a good selection to choose from. If you don't want to spend that much you could always go the junk yard route and get an older bronco f150 or 250 44
Old 02-27-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John everyone has already said what I agree with... the D30 can be a waste to do much more work on. On the other hand I have seen you offroad and though you take some really fun lines you don't abuse the skinny pedal. I am not saying that you might not get too much torque and grip with deflated 37s which can make everything go boom. What I am saying is you have a good chance to run you jeep with 37s and not have any problems.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!