Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to install my OR Fab side armor this afternoon.

I took off my rubi rails, cleaned up the work area and used some touch up paint on the area as needed. I used painter's tape to dull the edges of the armor. Then I tried to hold them up in place. That worked for about 10 seconds. I then used some jack stands and some wood to get it within 1/4 of an inch of where I needed it to be. That worked a lot better, but still not good enough for me to mark the holes for drilling. So I called the wife and oldest daughter out. We marked the holes with a sharpie pen. Set the armor down and then did it a second time to check our centering, but this time with a different pen. On the third line up of the armor I did a visual check of our marked holes.....FAIL. Part of the problem is that the jeep tub has a bit of a curve to it. The armor has some of the curve, but not 100% the same as the jeep's tub. So when the armor is pushed in at front to mark the holes the person in the back may shift and throw all the holes off. My help (wife and daughter) were doing their best, but that was not enough especially when I get irritated. I saw the whole project was not going to work out and I am paranoid enough about drilling into the jeep so I quit.

Then to top it all off when I was cleaning up I noticed my wife's silver pen that she used to mark the second alignment with, was not a regular marker, but a paint marker. (She had to use a lighter color becuase the first marks were with a darker pen and my jeep is a dark color blue). The paint pen dripped on the side armor around every hole that she marked and I could only get it off with acetone. Not a great choice, but not too much damage. The worst part was one of the three of us got some of it on our hands and then touched the front fender. Acetone melts plastic, but I had nothing else. I got up most of the light marks, but I still have one that nobody will likely notice but me. I know it is a jeep, but scratches and scrapes from offroading don't bother me. Stupid stuff like that paint on the fender does.

Oh well so much for my crying The end of this story is that there is no way I am getting this done correctly at home so I guess I will call Cop or someone and see how much they will charge me to install the armor.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man im off thur and fri lets do it! maybe with some help from me and anyone else maybe we can get it?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Default Phoenix JK's MOAB

Alright guys, day two of Moab! Even though yesterday was a fun day of wheelin' today was brutal crawling!!! It was a long day of wheeling that started on a trail called the Pickle. I think the RedRocker represented the Phoenix JK's very well. I did every obstacle that was there. Even ones they thought I couldn't do. No scratches, no damage. There were though alot of others with damage. A Cherokee that had body damage, busted out his window and TeraFlex lost a JK Unlimited (broke rear and front drivelines) And alot of others struggled through the Pickle and had to be winched out. We started with 18 jeeps and after the pickle we were down to 8. And again thanks to Dennis from TeraFlex. Here are a few pics of the day.

The First Obstacle of the Pickle

More of the Pickle

In a Pickle!

Stuck in the Pickle and had to be winched out

Last of the Pickle

This rig lost both drive lines and had to be winched out and towed home!

Dennis of TeraFlex showing off on Mashed Potato in his Bad Ass YJ

That's it...coming home tomorrow. Met alot of great people and had alot of fun. Next run ...November ...Parker...President's Choice...here I come!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John the trip looks like a lot of fun. The pics are great too

Sheks, a late Thurs or maybe Fri could be a fun wrenching party. Does anyone else need any help? My mod is pretty portable and can be done pretty much anywhere. I don't have my coils or winch yet, but that job is simple even for a one man show.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Cool pics again Jphn. Andrew sorry to hear about your dilema...Yates says that there is a great youtube video that should make that install go a lot smoother for ya. I would love to help ya
Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

WOW JOHN IM JEALOUS!!!!

Andrew anytime the directions say to measure twice and cut/drill once your supposed to pay a profesional to put them on!!!!! at least thats my take on it!!!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

AWESOME!!

I cant wait to go next year!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

wow john those are some SICK pics there man! looks hella scary..well for me atleast
Old 10-17-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by remark
John the trip looks like a lot of fun. The pics are great too

Sheks, a late Thurs or maybe Fri could be a fun wrenching party. Does anyone else need any help? My mod is pretty portable and can be done pretty much anywhere. I don't have my coils or winch yet, but that job is simple even for a one man show.
call me, txt or pm me. we can figure it out from there
Old 10-18-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Are you all checking in the group section for whats coming up? Just wondering

Quick Reply: Phoenix Area JK'ers Say your piece!