Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Ouray CO. July 4th 2011 Whos gonna be there?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
OK my plan is to leave late on the 30th and drive a few hours before resting so that we can arrive on the first early in the afternoon. not sure if we will stay past the 5th but gonna try to stay till the 7th. If anyone from the phoenix area that wants to convoy up just let me know.
If you happen to stay past the 5th, to say the 7th, let me know and we'll meet up with you somewhere. Should have a couple of forum members along - RCJunkie will be coming with, and TORN who we'll meet up with in Ouray. Dang I can't wait for July to get here
Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I hear that. Im gonna do my best to stay as long as I can..... but when the wife has had enough she starts and if I dont do something quick the gonna and plan on on the 7th
Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM
JK Junkie

Ok now I am seriously considering this. I get of work at 6a on the 6th...looks like about an 8 hour drive. Is that about right Casey?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ouray Stays

So lets see here ... to summarize...

In Ouray:
Casey Jun 30- July 7
Me: July 2 - 9
1972 and friends... July 7-10

We should set up some trail runs or something... Casey maybe we can wheel together sometime on the 3rd, or 5th - 7th... Think i am going to just hang in town on the 4th...
1972 maybe the 8th...

Looking forward to Cool temps, and beautiful views!

Love - 8 hours may be pushing it... I'd plan on 9+ depending on how you drive... Don't rush through Dolores, Rico, and Telluride... it's just beautiful!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RockinJK

In Ouray:
Casey Jun 30- July 7

We should set up some trail runs or something... Casey maybe we can wheel together sometime on the 3rd, or 5th - 7th... Think i am going to just hang in town on the 4th...
1972 maybe the 8th...

Love - 8 hours may be pushing it... I'd plan on 9+ depending on how you drive... Don't rush through Dolores, Rico, and Telluride... it's just beautiful!
Sounds like a plan. Since we'll be arriving in Ouray sometime morning of the 7th, that'll leave me about a good half a day to run some short trails - maybe Red Mountain Trails, Ophir and Imogene? Or Blackbear/Imogene if anyone is game? I've already done Blackbear last year, so unless someone in the group wants to do it, I'll be doing Ophir which I didn't get to do last year . For the 8th, I would love to do Alpine Loop - start from Ouray - Mineral Creek - Poughkeepsie Gulch - California Gulch - Cinnamon Pass - Engineer Pass back to Ouray. And possibly a few more on the 9th. Open to suggestions though
Old 05-04-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Love Monkey
...looks like about an 8 hour drive...
RockinJK is right. Google maps shows it to be approx. 530 miles from Scottsdale, AZ - Ouray, CO. Approx. 9½ hours of so and figure in some stopping time in between for gas/lunch/etc. and you could easily be looking at 10+ hours. If you left in the morning sometime, you could be in Ouray that evening, get a good night's rest and hit some trails in the morning.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Sounds like a plan. Since we'll be arriving in Ouray sometime morning of the 7th, that'll leave me about a good half a day to run some short trails - maybe Red Mountain Trails, Ophir and Imogene? Or Blackbear/Imogene if anyone is game? I've already done Blackbear last year, so unless someone in the group wants to do it, I'll be doing Ophir which I didn't get to do last year . For the 8th, I would love to do Alpine Loop - start from Ouray - Mineral Creek - Poughkeepsie Gulch - California Gulch - Cinnamon Pass - Engineer Pass back to Ouray. And possibly a few more on the 9th. Open to suggestions though
Short trail suggestion would be Yankee Boy all the way up to the top. Saw a bunch of big horn sheep last time I was up there.... Blackbear/Imogene are almost a full day trip in my opinion. Specially if we stop for a or in Telluride. I like the sounds of the Gulch and pass trip. No real desire to do the FULL Alpine loop thru Silverton and Lake City. Too many dusty roads... But Engineer/California/ Corkscrew area is fanstastic. Last time I was in the San Juans I also did a trail over near Silverton to the 'Wheel House" That was SUPER cool... would love to do that one again too... I think it was over near Stony Pass... A trip up to Clear Lake would also be cool. probably some snow up there, and some fishing... My daughter loves to fish. Great way to spend a day relaxin after a day of road tripping...
Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi

Short trail suggestion would be Yankee Boy all the way up to the top. Saw a bunch of big horn sheep last time I was up there.... Blackbear/Imogene are almost a full day trip in my opinion. Specially if we stop for a or in Telluride. I like the sounds of the Gulch and pass trip. No real desire to do the FULL Alpine loop thru Silverton and Lake City. Too many dusty roads... But Engineer/California/ Corkscrew area is fanstastic. Last time I was in the San Juans I also did a trail over near Silverton to the 'Wheel House" That was SUPER cool... would love to do that one again too... I think it was over near Stony Pass... A trip up to Clear Lake would also be cool. probably some snow up there, and some fishing... My daughter loves to fish. Great way to spend a day relaxin after a day of road tripping...
I'm game to the suggestions - what I put out there was what we had planned to do if we didn't find anyone there to wheel with and ended up just by ourselves like last year.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Junkie

In Ouray:
Casey Jun 30- July 7

1972 maybe the 8th...

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
RockinJK is right. Google maps shows it to be approx. 530 miles from Scottsdale, AZ - Ouray, CO. Approx. 9½ hours of so and figure in some stopping time in between for gas/lunch/etc. and you could easily be looking at 10+ hours. If you left in the morning sometime, you could be in Ouray that evening, get a good night's rest and hit some trails in the morning.
Yep you guys are right. I was thinking of leaving right after work at 6a so could drive all day. I'm pretty mellow driving. It's not a race car
Old 05-05-2011, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

In Ouray:
Casey Jun 30- July 7

1972 maybe the 8th...

I AGREE figure the 2nd will be blown around town and hanging out maybe take the kids to the mine tour, and the 4th around town for sure. I am dying to do poughkipsee.... last year spent 2.5 days on the trail and didnt get that much done. did yankee boy one afternoon, then imogene over and drove the highway back one day, and my last day was spent doing blackbear over and ophir back. This year I think that can be all done in one day since I have no desire to run ophir again. I would like to see more trails but still want to run blackbear and imogene again. I think I will spend either the 3rd or the 5th starting in the am and take black bear over to teluride then Imogene back and If we want to run up yankee boy at the end we can. the other day I would like to spend out poughkipsee and that area checking out as much as I can!!!!

What do ya think????

Quick Reply: Ouray CO. July 4th 2011 Whos gonna be there?