Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Headed to the Ouray Jam in a couple weeks | any recommendations

Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Ouray Jeep Jam

I did the Ouray JJ in 2009. Enjoyed every minute. I am going to give you a little background and a few tips to make your trip more enjoyable. The town of Ouray is at 7,000'. As I remember, you are a "flatlander" and the increase in altitude may be a show stopper if you don't prepare for it. The trail you will run to Telluride will take you via Imogene Pass which is at 13,114'. Both you and your JK will have a more difficult time functioning at 13,000'. The pesky oxygen thing. Here are a few things I recommend: (1) Drink lots of water. Every time you think about it, drink another bottle. (2) Arrive in Ouray at least two days early. Walk around town three or four times a day to get your body acclimated to the change in altitude. You may develop a headache the first day. A couple of aspirin will take care of it. (3) Drink lots of water (4) Take warm clothing on the run. When we departed Ouray, it was
60 degrees. At a place named Governor's Basin, at 12,400', we encountered a snow "shower" and a 33 degree temp. A big surprise to folks who wore tee shirts and didn't bring a coat. (5) If you smoke - stop now. (6) Drink lots of water. (7) The food is good on this JJ. (8) If you have questions, contact the JJ Staff via email or phone. They will provide you with useful information. (9) Take a good camera and lots of film or a bigger memory card. You are going to take lots of photos. (10) The Trail Guides are exceptional on this JJ. You will learn a lot. As I remember, the Trail Crew and caterer on the Ouray JJ is the same crew who works the Arch Canyon JJ - which is my favorite JJ, and I have done 15.

You will have a great time if you prepare your body for the extreme change in altitude. If you have any questions, please let me know. Send a PM if you want.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 08-25-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll be making the trip for the Jamboree as well.

And since I don't have to be back home until the middle of the following week, well, I've heard it mentioned that Colorado might have one or two trails that are worth the time.
I just wish I could take more than a week off... I'm getting the impression that I could spend a month running trails in the Rockies and just scratch the surface!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out www.traildamage.com. They have a good list of the trails around the area. Have a great time cause it is beautiful right now.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Oh, and x2 on the jacket cause it has been getting cold up here at night.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninjajmoney
Oh, and x2 on the jacket cause it has been getting cold up here at night.
Yep, had a little sleet on Black Bear Pass when I was there a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

So how tight are the trails up there? Should I put the soft top on, or will I be fine with the hard top?

Normally I wouldn't even think twice and just throw the soft top on, but... well... having to drive 1000 miles each way at interstate speeds kinda makes me want the hardtop.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krynn
So how tight are the trails up there? Should I put the soft top on, or will I be fine with the hard top?

Normally I wouldn't even think twice and just throw the soft top on, but... well... having to drive 1000 miles each way at interstate speeds kinda makes me want the hardtop.
I keep the hardtop on the whole time
Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm staying in a motel. Last time I was there I stayed In Colorado Springs for a while before going up into the mountains because I didn't want to end up with headache for two or three days and it worked. In mid-September the leaves were already changing and it was around 30 at night. I'm hoping to miss any big snowfalls but last year I missed I-70 being closed by two weeks, close enough for me.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Last month we stayed in Telluride (also a great town). You can highway around to Ouray or you can take Dollar Road which is a nice easy trail.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yankee Boy, Corkscrew, and Ophir Pass are fun moderate trails... I did them in June on stock 32s. If you're an experienced offroader, try Black Bear. Awesome videos on YouTube. Lots of places to stay in Mountain Village since its the skiing off season. Easy access to Telluride, Ouray, Ridgeway, Silverton and Durango. Prettiest place in the Country. I love Texas, but dream about moving to Colorado!

Quick Reply: Headed to the Ouray Jam in a couple weeks | any recommendations