Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Crown King New Year's Eve

Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures

Had a great trip, did get some snow in Crown King, but not too much. I had to get back to Phoenix so I did not go all the way to Prescott. FlameRed and family are great people to wheel with . The trail is tougher than I remember it, but most of it was just rough and bumpy. there were a few spots like the "hard" lines that were a challenge. Just a few pictures from the trip.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back Way to Crown King was fun, not as hard as we expected, but taking the "short-cuts" made the trip a lot more interesting. Most of the trail has been graded, it does get a little intersting towards the last third of the trail when the trail goes through the river bed. There were some challenging exposed rocks, noting that we couldn't get over in a couple of passes.

Trying to run me over

After lunch at the Crown King Saloon (awesome burgers by the way, highly recommend) we continued on to Prescott alone. We took the Senator Highway all the way down to where it turns into Senator Road. At this point we reached a Road Closed sign. We decided to take the alternate route towards Bodie Mine Road toward Kirkland Junction but after the third downed tree in the path (with three more in sight) in less than a mile we turned back and decided to risk the closed road. We made it within 1.3 miles of the summit when we had to give up because of the massive amounts of snow we were getting stuck in. We joked about wenching ourselves up 80 feet at a time, but the previous year we had tried going towards Crown King from Prescott and had gotten stuck before the summit. We decided that if we couldn't make it to the top, there was no way we were going to be able to make it home. We ended up back tracking and taking the road to Mayor, which had no snow but plenty of "watch for snakes" signs.

The next day we decided to take the Jeep and a Rihno up the opposite way to see how far we could go and found that the roads had all been graded up to the summit, so if we had only made it the last 1.3 mies we would have been home free! Decided to make the most of it and drove all over the summit, plenty of ice to go around.

In all a great trip, we had a fun time and it was good to ride with KnotAddicted. Looking forward to more AZ wheeling.

Quick Reply: Crown King New Year's Eve