Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Colorado weather in June/July...Leave the doors behind?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado weather in June/July...Leave the doors behind?

A buddy and I are road tripping from Tennessee to Colorado in our Rubi's the 1st week of July. We're planning on a few trails runs and mountain passes. We'd like to put our doors in storage once we get to Colorado and enjoy the fresh air a little more, BUT I'm a little concerned on the temperature it might get in the higher altitudes...

...Will we freeze our butts off without the doors?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

do not underestimate the power of high altitude. When its 75 in Denver it can be 45 in the mountains. Denver is even at 5280 feet. Also, you may encounter a freak hail storm so I'd say bring the doors personally.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

We always look at the weather for the day. June- August is is usually topless weather unless rain is in the forecast and even then a tarp over the Jeep usually works for most storms. With doors it's the same. We always prefer doorless but if there is a chance of cold or storms we bring them and stash them in another car or lock them to a pole. Yes it may be 70 at the base but at 12 to 14,000 feet up it can be 20 or 30 degrees cooler, but all you have to do is pack a sweatshirt to solve the problem till you drop back down. Its what we do and my 8 year old does fine and would have it no other way. Doorless in the Rockies is the only way to trail ride.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I assumed so. I've climbed a few 14ers out there, and remember the windchill and hail during the summer. Guess I was just hoping to trail ride a little more open. Maybe we can just leave the doors at our base campsite for any short day-trips.

Last edited by GatorGumbo; 03-25-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

hmm I was under the impression that the OP was talking about a multiple-day excursion.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GatorGumbo
Thanks, I assumed so. I've climbed a few 14ers out there, and remember the windchill and hail during the summer. Guess I was just hoping to trail ride a little more open. Maybe we can just leave the doors at our base campsite for any short day-trips.
This sounds like your best plan of attack, enjoy
Old 03-25-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

I was... Originally thought we might leave to doors in a storage area for a couple weeks. But according to your first post, I think we'll leave them on, and just take them off as the weather permits. I appreciate your input... can't wait to trail ride in your state!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

What area will you be in? I'll be in Ouray the week of July 4.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

We'll be near Ouray the last week of June, and probably up by Mount of the Holy Cross the first week of July. It would have been fun to do a run with other JK's. You know of any fun trails to piece together in the Ouray area?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GatorGumbo
Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
do not underestimate the power of high altitude. When its 75 in Denver it can be 45 in the mountains. Denver is even at 5280 feet. Also, you may encounter a freak hail storm so I'd say bring the doors personally.
While a lot of us here in the city have had our tops off for the last week or two, 4W-Jive's point is something to heed. Daytime highs in mountain towns around 9-10,000 feet are still lucky to break 45-50 degrees. Come July that won't be the case, for the daytime, but nighttime lows will often be in the 40's and, possibly, lower. June and July is our tornado season and while that doesn't usually creep to Denver-proper or west, it can be an issue east of the city as your drive in. Once in the mountains, wind is always a possibility and weather can change in a matter of moments. Point being, you may be gambling if you leave the doors in storage... leaving them at a camp sight or something relatively local is your best bet.

Quick Reply: Colorado weather in June/July...Leave the doors behind?