Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Colorado roads and a camper

Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado roads and a camper

Hello friends,

I'm from the Great Lakes region and like others would like to travel to Colorado to visit. My girlfriend would like to go a little more north to Yellow Stone but I wouldn't mind passing through some of the beautiful areas in Colorado including the million dollar highway.

My question is are there any of you jeep owners that live or have traveled through the mountains with a 2000 pound camper? ((My Specs: 2009 2 door 3.73 Tow Package all stock and the camper is 1660 Lbs. unloaded)) how does the JK hold up to the tow? Is it even possible? Any areas to stay away from?

Thanks for your input!!

Dom
Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was just on the million dollar highway last week with an '09 rubi, 4.10's and 6 speed. I did not have a trailer but from what I drove it shouldn't be an issue so long as you're willing to use the transmission gears as well as your brakes to slow you down. It is steep both in incline and decline with grades up to and over 6%. The switchbacks usually have a speed rating of 15mph or less so just stick close to that and there should be more than enough room to make the turns. Hope it helps.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok thanks alot!! Believe it or not here in Indiana I can cruse almost the entire state highway in 6th gear. I've even managed to get 27.3 MPG one day driving with the wind.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

2008 Sahara, 6-speed, 3.373 and tow package with a 2009 Coleman Cobalt that grosses out at 1880#.

With the everything loaded (ice chests, people, 92# Labrador Retirever in the Jeep and all the normal gear and stuff in the trailer. Some of the hills on I-70 between Denver and Grand Juction can be a bit of an excercise for your right arm and left leg. Considerable shifting is required.

Worst (slowest) is the pull between Vail and the Eisenhower Tunnel (Continental Divide) heading eastbound on I-70. First time up managed to maintain only about 25mph and the last trip I guess I found the sweet spot (gear/RPM) and managed to hold about 40mph. Did manage to average about 19.2 MPG on the last trip with the trailer in tow.

When I was looking at trailers my dealer said that I shouldn't plan on pulling a trailer (hardside or pop-up) that is close to the 3500# tow rating. She said about half of it (1600-2000) should be it if I was planning on heading to the mountains much. She said 3500# is doable in the flatlands with an occasional hill or two. But the Rockies and the steep grades will take a toll on the Jeep. I would love to have a hardside with all the luxuries but I am glad I listened to her.

You probably won't be dragging the trailer everywhere so you should have any issues. Just be ready to shift a lot and have a lot of cars pass you. East of Denver will be a piece of cake. Just going up and over the Divide.

Oh do not let the shifting and slower speeds prevent you from coming out. This is a phenomenally beautiful state. And nothing beats the Mountain. One suggested campground is Jumbo Lake in the Grand Mesa National Forest. On Highway 65 near Mesa. There is a forest service trail right across from the entrance that you can run.

Come out and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Colorado roads and a camper