Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Colorado Emissions = total Crap

Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted on this just a few weeks ago in the crawlorado thread...anyway, that guy was an idiot. First off they state on their website they will test up to 34 inch tires, so 33's should have been fine. Also they should measure to see if they fit. Which facility did you go to? I just tested at the one at colorado and county line. The guy looked at the tires and asks "Are those 35's?" To which I respond "no". See size below. Not sure on your tire size as I'm on my phone. This is part of the reason I bought 295's. Plus it saved $60 per tire.

Sorry to hear you had this trouble. Hopefully this helps someone else......
Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm, I got notice that I passed the mobile emissions but maybe I should keep my factory 17s?

Also, last time I was in High Country I saw that they have a tire rental option to get down to size, but I don't know if they would have that option for JKs.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by eraujk
Tried to get my emissions done today and long long long painfull story short, the craptastic contractors the state uses to test dont use machines that fit 33+ tires.... nor do they accept cradit card?!

When i asked about all the coloradians that i know have 33+ (highway princess or rock crawler) they just casually told me that most people buy a different set of tires and wheels just for the test or have a spare set laying around.... Im not pleased at all. So after some thought and some pain we switched my brothers stock front 32s with my rear 35s. Far more work than should be needed for something this simple...

Sorry for a long post but had to rant somewhere. Anybody else felt the pain from these shitty gov sponsored companies?
Would they not let you go through the rv/lowrider lane that does not use dyno?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
I posted on this just a few weeks ago in the crawlorado thread...anyway, that guy was an idiot. First off they state on their website they will test up to 34 inch tires, so 33's should have been fine. Also they should measure to see if they fit. Which facility did you go to? I just tested at the one at colorado and county line. The guy looked at the tires and asks "Are those 35's?" To which I respond "no". See size below. Not sure on your tire size as I'm on my phone. This is part of the reason I bought 295's. Plus it saved $60 per tire.

Sorry to hear you had this trouble. Hopefully this helps someone else......
I agree, that guy was an idiot. I had no prob with my 34" tires at the Castle Rock testing station, pretty sure that would work for OP as it's still Douglas County. They didn't even ask the size.

And now I know to save a pair of them for when I move up to 37" tires. Or, if I am lucky with all the drive-by testing they do here, I won't ever have to go in again.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T Mac
Hmm, I got notice that I passed the mobile emissions but maybe I should keep my factory 17s?

Also, last time I was in High Country I saw that they have a tire rental option to get down to size, but I don't know if they would have that option for JKs.
When did you get this notice? i have passed allot of the emissions mobile stations but got nothing.

For any that need to barrow wheels/tires. i have a full set of oems here at my shop and i'm 4 blocks from a testing center off i70 and Peoria.

Quick Reply: Colorado Emissions = total Crap