Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Colorado Auxillary Light Laws

Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado Auxillary Light Laws

So I've done some extensive googling, and found some varied answers, from the entire legal jargon, to, and this is directly from the Colorado State Patrol website:

Colorado State Patrol - Frequently Asked Questions

Another popular upgrade is vehicle lighting. There are lamps of various sizes, shapes and colors available for purchase. The laws that govern lighting and lamps are long and can be confusing. To keep this as simple as possible, here are a few of the basics:

Headlights and other white lamps must be limited to a total of four.
Accessory lights must be non-glaring and are limited to the colors of white and amber or any color in between white and amber.
At no time are, red, blue and green lights allowed if visible from the front of the vehicle.

end quote.

Also there's stuff about 54 inches high and no more than four lights , yada yada....

that said....

could you on i70 say, run your two headlights, and two windshield mounted KC's BUT HAVE THE FOGS OFF?

Lot's of and/or's in all this jargon, wondering if anyone has a trusted source with the straight dope of this.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Probably not without meeting the Trooper patroling that area. The way this works is you can only have 4 lights on at one time while on the road. While driving with the fogs off and using your KC lights would be legal in that yuou are only using 4 lights..your KC lights are probably aimed higher than your head lamps and would likely be percieved as hazards since they could affect the vision of oncoming drivers. It would also depend on if your lights throw a spot or flood pattern, but like I said at the height of the average windshield mounted light I think you would get stopped and or ticketed.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

As was stated above... plus they might get you on the glare issue, which is open to interruption.

A couple guidelines which might help you.
- If you are questioning if you should or can do it, you probably shouldn't because deep down you know you shouldn't.
- Study up on the laws all you want, but in the end it all comes down to what police officer, judge or complaining citizen you come across. If someone calls your plate in complaining about your headlights blinding them, and the police catch with your lights on... chances are you're going to get a ticket.
- I try to avoid drawing attention to myself (by the police), because no matter what all of us do things daily that we can get a ticket for, and if you come across that officer that is having a bad day you might be his/her next citation. We're all human.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is legal, right???

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4005776639.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	375668

In all seriousness though, you have to use common sense. There's a reason fog lights are mounted low and generally only use 50-55w bulbs instead of 100-130. Can you legally run 4 headlamps if they're under the height restriction... possibly, but a LEO will still stop you if you appear too bright. It's no different than driving with your high beams on... you flip them to low when you see oncoming traffic to prevent blinding other drivers. Stay safe.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some research I've done before said headlights be between 24"-44" from ground level (in Colorado.) Headlight heights are measured from ground level to the center of the lowest bulb on the vehicles headlight assembly. So far I haven't heard troopers causing problems on jeeps that get higher than that, but we all know that one knuckle head can ruin it for the rest of us. It's common sense. Don't run with your KC's and or windshield mount headlights on.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The laws in your state sound like the most common from state to state. So basically:

No more than 4 lights on at any one time.
All 4 lights must be in the same catagory and DOT approved. And be mounted in the proper location according to it's use.
Example
a) Low Beams and Fog Lights ( Fogs mounted below or just above the bumper )
b) High Beams and Driving Lights ( Driving Beams mounted close to headlight level )

Quick Reply: Colorado Auxillary Light Laws