Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

CO Law on firearms

Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CO Law on firearms

For part of my trip we will be camping in a very remote area. Last six years we have seen bears. We have been in a small cabin so never a worry. Last year, a bear broke through the window. My motherinlaw barricaded herself in the bathroom.

This will be our first time to camp and aside from normal precautions. ie bear bag, etc....

Can you carry a fire arm in your tent, car, backpack?

I've researched and found pretty much only a .44 magnum will stop a bear. Otherwise, you need a center fire rifle with a caliber in excess of a .223.

Any advice? And I know all the "normal" things to do. Just looking for advice on the "last resort" defense. I own most varieties of hand guns and multiple rifles.

Thanks all.

PS I know shooting my buddy in the leg after pouriing bacon grease on them and making like Jesse Owens is the best defense.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

At no time can you conceal unless you have your colorado CCW... I know that for a fact.

I *think* however that the state parks are ok to open carry, as Colorado is an open carry state outside of government buildings and schools. I would call the local rangers for the parks you are staying in and have them clarify. As far as in your vehicle, the guns are usually supposed to be unloaded and out of reach unless you have a CCW as well.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a concealed weapons permit, you need to check with your state fire arms if it is accepted by Colorado. Colorado's permit is accepted by TX, so I am pretty sure Co accepts TX's permit. If you don't have a permit, can't put it in a backpack (concealed) loaded. Travel laws apply, weapon in one part of the vehicle, bullets in another.

Now, do CO folks follow the rules, for the most part, they carry and show that they carry when they don't have a permit (like in a holster). No brandishing of the weapon, can make for a warm stay in a non air condition room even if you do have a permit. I am not sure how much of our law to carry open without a permit applies to non state residents. People come here to hunt, but your talking a side arm.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoreyZ
At no time can you conceal unless you have your colorado CCW... I know that for a fact.

I *think* however that the state parks are ok to open carry, as Colorado is an open carry state outside of government buildings and schools. I would call the local rangers for the parks you are staying in and have them clarify. As far as in your vehicle, the guns are usually supposed to be unloaded and out of reach unless you have a CCW as well.
Out in the woods, carry a sidearm. I always do when camping, hunting, hiking, etc. In colorado there is anything from bears to mountain lions.

I'd rather take the fine than get mauled. But maybe thats just me
Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Here is your answers. It is the Colorado State Police website
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251594549010

Things are just simpler here in Texas.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Boomy
Here is your answers. It is the Colorado State Police website
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251594549010

Things are just simpler here in Texas.
Perfect!!! Looks like I'm okay to carry just about anything where I'll be. Will be camped on the east side of the range from Ridgeway.

It is national forest but not a national park. When doing trails in the heep, it will be put away. Only desire it at the campsite.

Looks like we may even get to do some shooting. I'll call the ranger and ask about that first though. We met him when the bear broke through the window of the cabin.

Total cliche, but...Did you know they bait the traps with jelly donuts???
Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 AM
JK Super Freak

in CO, your vehicle is an extension of your house and home. Therefore, you are able to have the weapon loaded and even concealed while it is in your vehicle.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 AM
JK Super Freak

The only thing I did not see mentioned in the link is that CO is open carry, with the exception of Denver County just thought you'd want to be aware of that in case you need something in the city.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

FYI, read where multiple forest fires have been started by shooting FMJ rounds. They spark.

So, if we target shoot, it will be with something other than a FMJ. Will load it with FMJ for penetration when not shooting around.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Bear spray. Bear hunters who carry 454's, 455's and such (44 mag is pop gun compared to) ALL carry bear spray.

It works. Even with a hand cannon, you have to hit the bear in a vital spot and even then.....he'll be alive long enough to turn you into hamburger.

Don't go into bear country without bear spray....

Quick Reply: CO Law on firearms