Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Best time to visit Colorado

Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best time to visit Colorado

Hello all. I figured it would be best to ask the locals. I would like to visit around sept or oct. Is there too much snow down on the trails that time of year? I don't mind cold weather or light snow.

Any info would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedRockIt
Hello all. I figured it would be best to ask the locals. I would like to visit around sept or oct. Is there too much snow down on the trails that time of year? I don't mind cold weather or light snow.

Any info would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Since we are a semi-arid climate, snow doesn't typically start until mid-to-late October in the higher elevations. There are always anomalies though.

If you want to see spectacular fall foliage, your best bet is going to be mid-to-late September.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Colorado can be tricky starting in August. What part might you be dippin your tires in?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. And I never thought of that. I bet it is nice that time of year.

Would it be a bad ideas to wait until there is a bit of snow on the ground?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wyorubi
Colorado can be tricky starting in August. What part might you be dippin your tires in?
Ummm. Undecided at this point.

I guess I should have included that question as well.

Looking to spend about 5 days. Wanting to hit as many trails and breweries that I can.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the reply. And I never thought of that. I bet it is nice that time of year.

Would it be a bad ideas to wait until there is a bit of snow on the ground?
The problem is that there isn't really a period where there is a "bit" of snow. Typically, when the snow falls... it falls. If that is your agenda, to come out during that turn of season, I would suspect that early-October may be your best bet. As noted, it can start falling in late-August in some spots. In other spots it may hold off until late-October. We typically see something in November (here in Denver). Our weather is a little less than predictable so it's really hard to pin down, especially if we are talking about seven or eight months from now.

An example... I took a trail for the sole purpose of snapping fall colors. That was in early-September. I took the same trail three weeks later, to access Breck's Oktoberfest. When I took the trail that second time, signs were up noting the impending closure of the trail road two days later.

If a stop on your tour is breweries... you are going to be scattered between Fort Collins (New Belgium, Odell, and FCB), Longmont (Oskar Blues and Left Hand), and Denver-proper (Wynkoop, Dry Dock, and Great Divide). You do have options in the mountains - Breckenridge Brewing Co (in Breck), Estes Park Brewing Co. (in Estes Park), and a few other smaller options.

Last edited by Joe Boxer; 02-21-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

If you are hunting, no. The snow is beneficial. We try to get our best trips into the mountains between July and end of August. Above 9000 feet its nice and cool. Also still some snow around above 10,000. Although, there can be some outrageous days in september with the colors turning Yet they are hit or miss. You'll probably deal with less weather in the fall on the front range, it starts piling up in the southwest in september. After we get shut out of the mountains its time to roll out to eastern utah from about april to june then sept to dec.
Good luck, and come anytime anyways. There's always some place to find a trail.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Ummm. Undecided at this point.

I guess I should have included that question as well.

Looking to spend about 5 days. Wanting to hit as many trails and breweries that I can.
Now your really speakin my language! So, mid july through mid august. These towns link up pretty good. Durango w/4 breweries, silverton w/1 brewery&1distillery, ouray-2 breweries, ridgeway - 1 brewery, telluride w/2 breweries, dolores - 1 brewery and back to durango where the viscious cycle can begin again. By the way if you dont want to staya on the highway you can damn near drive the whole loop on some old mining roads and county roads. Good luck with your plans.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

The best time is summer! If your plan involves any 4x4 mountain passes then you'll want the blue sky's of June. Any trail in the shade can be un-passable up into and through spring. Fall is nice for the colors but the weather can sneak up and ruin a good plan.

Go with the small breweries of the western slope for a true taste of Colorado's beers! Most towns have a local brewery. Nothing against New Belgium and their popular "Fat Tire" brew but, the state has way better beer than that!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tankjeep
The best time is summer! If your plan involves any 4x4 mountain passes then you'll want the blue sky's of June. Any trail in the shade can be un-passable up into and through spring. Fall is nice for the colors but the weather can sneak up and ruin a good plan.

Go with the small breweries of the western slope for a true taste of Colorado's beers! Most towns have a local brewery. Nothing against New Belgium and their popular "Fat Tire" brew but, the state has way better beer than that!
You can take that last statement to the bank!

Quick Reply: Best time to visit Colorado