Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Official VA Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aristobrat
I've always wondered how you're supposed to winch/strap cars with no obvious tow points.
Around the axle... If you use the bumper, it can pull right off of most vehicles...
Old 06-11-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zaknafien

Around the axle... If you use the bumper, it can pull right off of most vehicles...
Just ask the poor ridgeline.... Hahaha
Old 06-12-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
We used the tow point there. My tow boat rope wouldn't fit in there though so I had to fish a smaller strap thru it. I usually wrap it around the framerail if I can't find a tow point. I forgot my ball tto put in my receiver note to self: don't forget it....
NEVER use a ball to do a recovery! Too many instances it has sheered and then you have a heavy weight projectile hurling through the air, right towards the other vehicle...

If you don't have a shackle mount or rear hook, just put your recovery strap through the receiver and slide the hitch pin through it hoop.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Looks like I need to purchase another receiver hitch. My d-rings/ shackles are all monstrous and my tow rope doesn't fit in the 2" hitch.
Keep in mind also tow ropes are meant for towing not recovering. The amount of kinetic energy in a recovery can break a tow rope. Recovery/snatch straps aren't that expensive.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Junkie

Bump to end 10 days of silence...
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default weekend

anyone getting into anything this weekend? or anyone need to have a parts install party? lol im looking for something to do. (im in Northern VA but dont mind a drive)
Old 07-01-2011, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anybody know a reputable shop in the area that's familiar with the JK. I'm looking for one with experience in gears, suspension, etc.

I live in the Burke/Springfield area of northern VA.

Thanks,
Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ddhowel
Does anybody know a reputable shop in the area that's familiar with the JK. I'm looking for one with experience in gears, suspension, etc.

I live in the Burke/Springfield area of northern VA.

Thanks,
I had Steve at x-treme jeep do all the welding on my jeep and was very pleased with his quality of work as well as his professionalism. It will be a bit of a drive for you, but his rates are good.

h ttp://www.jeepsxtreme.com/
Old 07-01-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default meet up

is there anyone in the newport news/york county area's meeting up tomorrow
Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Curious to know who is going to Tata's in august and if they would like to convoy up there? Myself and Karls10jk will be leaving Friday morning and traveling up toward Richmond. Karl will be coming from the nags head area and meeting me in Newport news.. Figured it would be pretty cool to convoy up there... I'll start a thread depending on feedback... Thanx

Quick Reply: Official VA Thread