Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Official VA Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Live in Woodbridge work in Arlington :)

Live in Woodbridge work in Arlington
Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default Live in Reston, around everywhere!

Live in Reston, Work in Herndon, Girlfriend down at Radford, school in Chantilly.

I'm Bruce by the way.

H2RSCUE is my plate!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbuning
Live in Woodbridge work in Arlington
How would you rate the drive. I'll be working on Belvoir and was thinking of possibly living in Woodbridge.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ddhowel

How would you rate the drive. I'll be working on Belvoir and was thinking of possibly living in Woodbridge.
I wouldn't go much further south than Woodbridge.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

depends on what time you go to work. Belvoir isn't too far of a commute but 95 can be hell. Route 1 isn't much better because of all the lights. The earlier you can start work the better or later too, like after 10am.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vtt316

depends on what time you go to work. Belvoir isn't too far of a commute but 95 can be hell. Route 1 isn't much better because of all the lights. The earlier you can start work the better or later too, like after 10am.
I figured as much....I really don't know what kind of shifts I'll be working yet. I've been looking at Alexandra, Lorton and Springfield for a house. I'm considering Woodbridge as well, but don't want to regret the commute.

Do you have any idea of the average morning commute time between Woodbridge and Belvoir for a 9-5 worker?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

I figured as much....I really don't know what kind of shifts I'll be working yet. I've been looking at Alexandra, Lorton and Springfield for a house. I'm considering Woodbridge as well, but don't want to regret the commute.

Do you have any idea of the average morning commute time between Woodbridge and Belvoir for a 9-5 worker?
It's only like 10-12 mile commute but you're looking at prob about 40mins. Lorton would be you're best bet. 5-10 mins from there. Springfield wouldn't be so bad either because you would be going opposite of traffic. Same with Alexandria. I lived in Woodbridge for like 3 months but I could not take the traffic! Had to go to work in Arlington. i would have to leave the house at 630am to get to work at 8! Going home on a Friday was the worst. Better off hanging out somewhere till almost 8pm. Not trying to scare you but I really hated it!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anytime you can go the opposite of the "normal" commute flow, you're better off (ie going south/west in the morning and north/east in the afternoon, as related to Belvoir). If you had to pick, Woodbridge will definitely be more affordable than Alexandria, but you're smack in the middle of the commuter hell working 9-5. You can bank on a decent amount of time behind the wheel in stop and go (mostly stop) traffic. If you opt to go for the Alexandria route, it's more expensive rent/mortgage wise, but you have a better commute time wise. To put it simply, there is no great answer, you trade one pain for another.

I've lived here for 7 years now, commuting 40 miles west of the Pentagon straight in...it ain't a joy, but I leave pretty early...

If you want, do a google search for Washington/N. VA traffic cams and check out the traffic flow at the times of day you'll be travelling...it'll give you a good idea...if you are looking at Woodbridge, you can track all the way from there to Belvoir in the a.m. and back in the p.m.. Just a thought. Good luck!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, it looks like I'm on the right track in looking for a house.

My family and I should be there in late march and my rig should arrive around early April. I'm looking forward to meeting some people in the area and hitting some trails.

I'll try the traffic cam thing, thats a pretty good idea.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Newbie

Live in Woodbridge. Work in Crystal City. I take the VRE in. Once in a while I drive. Belvior isn't that bad from Woodbridge. If you hit 95N before 7 or after 9 am, you'll be ok. If you have two Belvior buddies living near you, you can take the HOV.

Have you considered living on base? They have nice, new contract housing.

Quick Reply: Official VA Thread