Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Official VA Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anybody willing to come to Stafford County and re gear my jeep? I would like to do my lift, wheels, tires, upgrading my front dana 44 and regear all at the same time.

The place where all of this will be done at is at my friends shop so he can weld the gussets and stuff, he is just not comfortable with regearing my jeep.

I will supply cash, food, beer only a few while doing the install and after it all works ill get ya a case! My jeep is a 2011 rubicon 6 speed, i will be running 37s so i went with 5.13 gears and over haul kit. Might also have rcv axles to go in it.

Just let me know how much!! The parts should all be here in about 2 weeks. Those ATX slabs take awhile to get here.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
If they've done it one side, they will surely do it to the other...
see below
Originally Posted by zaknafien
Eh, it's a different management for each area. And the north beaches are technically a road, since while most people would say 12 just ends at the beach, it really goes up the beach to the VA border. I do expect this will lead to even more crowding up there though.
yes i agree with you here, the crowd is going to be bigger. Though it is much more beach so it shouldn't be as crowded as OI and such has been in the past.

Originally Posted by SayreJK07
F it...I'm gonna just start driving on Virginia Beach. The fine should be close to the permit cost for OBX.
yeah that is smart........

The beaches that have permit requirements have been over crowded for years. The reason for the permits is not only for the lame ass birds that come to the beach, but also to help the beach to not be as crowded. OI doesn't really have anything to see other than women anyways. The stretch that is drivable only takes about 20 mins from end to end, so really I don't understand what all the bitching is about (not just here but other forums also). Out in Corolla there is more beach to transit on, and as long as your not being a complete dumbass there are some nice hill climbs, mud holes, and stuff of that sort to be explored.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Munky
see below

yes i agree with you here, the crowd is going to be bigger. Though it is much more beach so it shouldn't be as crowded as OI and such has been in the past.

yeah that is smart........

The beaches that have permit requirements have been over crowded for years. The reason for the permits is not only for the lame ass birds that come to the beach, but also to help the beach to not be as crowded. OI doesn't really have anything to see other than women anyways. The stretch that is drivable only takes about 20 mins from end to end, so really I don't understand what all the bitching is about (not just here but other forums also). Out in Corolla there is more beach to transit on, and as long as your not being a complete dumbass there are some nice hill climbs, mud holes, and stuff of that sort to be explored.
Let's visit your dumbass comment (applies to you), hitting the mud holes and climbing the hills back in the 'residential' area is ILEGAL... I know this from a nice breakdown of the laws by the local cop who patrols it... As for being crowded, it's a local beach that people enjoy visiting with family and friends. I understand your point of view, but there is no reason to come on here and insult us because we do not share it with you...
Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Let's visit your dumbass comment (applies to you), hitting the mud holes and climbing the hills back in the 'residential' area is ILEGAL... I know this from a nice breakdown of the laws by the local cop who patrols it... As for being crowded, it's a local beach that people enjoy visiting with family and friends. I understand your point of view, but there is no reason to come on here and insult us because we do not share it with you...
the mud holes and hill climbs that I'm referring to are the "roads" back there, it is not illegal to drive on a road. Im not talking bout any type of trespassing. IF it is posted then you can't be back there.

what didn't you share with me?

Last edited by Munky; 02-15-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the mud holes and hill climbs that I'm referring to are the "roads" back there, it is not illegal to drive on a road. Im not talking bout any type of trespassing. IF it is posted then you can't be back there.

what didn't you share with me?
I'm telling you from FIRSTHAND experience, climbing ANY of the hills and driving through ANY of the mud holes back there is ILEGAL! None of those 'obstacles' are on the actual roads. The locals frown upon and WILL call the police... I got a $50 fine to prove it.. Normal driving back there is legal all day. Driving up the dunes back there even to turn around is ILEGAL.... I have not encountered a mud hole yet that was on the actual road. They have always been off to the side and that's considered off-roading...
Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

I'm telling you from FIRSTHAND experience, climbing ANY of the hills and driving through ANY of the mud holes back there is ILEGAL! None of those 'obstacles' are on the actual roads. The locals frown upon and WILL call the police... I got a $50 fine to prove it.. Normal driving back there is legal all day. Driving up the dunes back there even to turn around is ILEGAL.... I have not encountered a mud hole yet that was on the actual road. They have always been off to the side and that's considered off-roading...
I never said anything about driving on the dunes, some of the actual roads have hill climbs in them. I just talked to a guy about 2 hours ago that is actually going down there with his business and fixing the "roads". The obstacles that I am referring to are on the "normal" roads in the area just depends on the time of year that your down there. I was just down there about 3 weeks ago, and the "roads" are very rutted up. I have been back there at least 5 or 6 times, I have never had the cops called on me. I don't go looking for trouble, I do know that some of those cops are a little harder on people with non NC tags and/or DOD stickers. They assume that people are just down there to cause trouble. The only time that I have been pulled over there was New Years Day 09 the Park Ranger was giving us a warning (we had been on the sand for about 2 1/2 miles). By us I mean the 15 - 20 truck condo, he assumed that we were there to cause trouble. We were just there to drive the beach, then stop and hangout it was a yearly run for my "unclub" but this was the largest group we had at once.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Hey guys I couldn't find this info anywhere else but does anyone know the rules on fenders/wheels in VA?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Fender/Wheel Laws

"echoshotz
Hey guys I couldn't find this info anywhere else but does anyone know the rules on fenders/wheels in VA? "

You just asked the same question I wanted to know!!

Is it illegal to to have the tires stick out past the fenders? If so, will you get rejected during inspection, or just by the cops on the road?
Thx!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by echoshotz
Hey guys I couldn't find this info anywhere else but does anyone know the rules on fenders/wheels in VA?
Originally Posted by 65Cobra
"echoshotz
Hey guys I couldn't find this info anywhere else but does anyone know the rules on fenders/wheels in VA? "

You just asked the same question I wanted to know!!

Is it illegal to to have the tires stick out past the fenders? If so, will you get rejected during inspection, or just by the cops on the road?
Thx!
I don't see fenders on this list h t t p ://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm but I do know that you must have marker lights that extend past your tires. A guy on another forum had to make some marker lights to go over his tires but he didn't even have fenders from what I remember
Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

I don't see fenders on this list h t t p ://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm but I do know that you must have marker lights that extend past your tires. A guy on another forum had to make some marker lights to go over his tires but he didn't even have fenders from what I remember
Hmm. thanks for the info. Any idea on how he built it?

Quick Reply: Official VA Thread