Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiHoSilver

Went through a mud hole at bantam jeep festival in pa. Mud got on the radiator and condenser. Killed my fan. Replaced fan and motor... Thoroughly cleaned radiator and condenser and surrounding area and it was still overheating. Replaced thermostat and now it stays cool in the middle for longer now but when the ac goes on it rises and when driving for a while it rises too.. Fuse is good for radiator fan. The fan runs high and doesn't shut off too... So I was thinking coolant temp sensor but there are no lights....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Are any of the fins on the radiator bent? Try getting an infrared thermometer and checking with that to see if the gauge is reading right
Old 06-21-2013, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

And read the temp from the fins in the radiator? And Some are bent but by always have been from pressure washing it... Not by my choice..

Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

And read the temp from the fins in the radiator? And Some are bent but by always have been from pressure washing it... Not by my choice..

No, shoot it at the intake manifold or the block to get a more accurate reading of the engine temp. I asked if the fins on the radiator were bent because that will restrict airflow to the radiator which will make it inefficient in cooling, air has to be able to pass through those fins to cool
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam36
No, shoot it at the intake manifold or the block to get a more accurate reading of the engine temp. I asked if the fins on the radiator were bent because that will restrict airflow to the radiator which will make it inefficient in cooling, air has to be able to pass through those fins to cool
Oh yeah they aren't bent bad

Old 06-21-2013, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

I'll bet there is still mud in the rad, you have to clean it from the engine side out.

Sent via smoke signals
Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAT2DFREAK
I'll bet there is still mud in the rad, you have to clean it from the engine side out.

Sent via smoke signals
I've cleaned in and out... This is bizarre and I want it to be over... I can't figure it out..

Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

You might of seen our 2013 on the way in to the festival. We were overheating, checked fuse and relay and they were OK but the fan would not kick on. Got it into the parking lot and parked and then went to the dealer just inside the gate. Can't say enough good about them. They sent their tech out and he discovered that the computer lost part of its memory that controlled the fan. Reprogrammed the computer and it took care of the problem. I was pretty concerned since we were 4 1/2 hours from home and it was a weekend. Still can't get over how Chrysler has a computer control such a simple thing instead of a simple sensor,switch and relay.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kibbles4
You might of seen our 2013 on the way in to the festival. We were overheating, checked fuse and relay and they were OK but the fan would not kick on. Got it into the parking lot and parked and then went to the dealer just inside the gate. Can't say enough good about them. They sent their tech out and he discovered that the computer lost part of its memory that controlled the fan. Reprogrammed the computer and it took care of the problem. I was pretty concerned since we were 4 1/2 hours from home and it was a weekend. Still can't get over how Chrysler has a computer control such a simple thing instead of a simple sensor,switch and relay.
Haha they told me about you! Haha they helped me too and I was in their tent when they replaced my radiator fan...

Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone a mechanic or savvy with the jk motors? Still fighting this over heating problem...

When you changed the radiator, did you remove the fan shroud? I once had the same problem and when I pulled the shroud off I found mud in the corners of the radiator that effectively made it a smaller radiator, so it only ran hot in extreme conditions. Once I cleaned it thoroughly, problem never occurred again.

AdamIsAdam
Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamisadam
When you changed the radiator, did you remove the fan shroud? I once had the same problem and when I pulled the shroud off I found mud in the corners of the radiator that effectively made it a smaller radiator, so it only ran hot in extreme conditions. Once I cleaned it thoroughly, problem never occurred again.

AdamIsAdam
Yes and I cleaned that too because it was bad

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY