Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 10-27-2007, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so...i am veryvery f***in pissed right now, i decide to go to a small trail i know here b4 i treked out to riverhead...and wouldn't u know it my jeep wont go into 4wd...the last time it was at the dealership they had to drop the tranny to replace the throw out bearing and must have messed something up, my luck...

so i almost lost my s**t on the phone with the service guy who didnt seem to care..now second trip to dealer in one month...

also gonna have them take care of the recall for the ABS,
and try to fix for second time: a pillar leak, winshield wind noise, clutch chirp

as soon as i get my jeep back and get to those trails, i will let you guys know
Old 10-29-2007, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Dog- did you end up riding any trail on Sunday? Where at?

Katzny- Sorry to hear about your Jeep. What trail are you riding in Huntington?

If you get it fixed this week maybe we can ride Riverhead on Sunday or Saturday.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

dropped jeep of at island jeep this morning, no word yet on the outcome or how long they are going to have my jeep for...i am guessing min. 2 days, but we'll see...

as soon as i get it back i am goin to hit riverhead..will let you know when, we can meet up...

as far a locally, there is a small sand spot in commack under the power lines, nothin great, used mainly for dirtbikes and atvs, but it is better than pavement anyday....
Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

jeep was at dealer all day on monday...

-did the recall for the ABS
-ordered clutch assembly for clutch chirp(had the tsb for the throw out bearing done last time...no luck)
-ordered front header kit for the soft top(said"soft top not sitting flush with windshield = A pillar water leak and wind noise from top of windshield(had that done once already too)
-reconnected the linkage for the 4WD that they forgot to connect last time

all in all...i have to go back in about two weeks when the parts come in and leave my jeep there for two days while the again attempt to fix all the problems i am having...

just curious..any of you guys having any problems? and if so have they been fixed...and if they have by what dealer or shop?

thanks guys..
Old 10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

I purchased and service my Jeep at East Hills Jeep on Northern Blvd. It's the closest dealer to my house. So far, no complaints.
I also had wind noise coming from my windshield and they resealed the rubber molding. The noise didn't really improve so I'll have them look at it again.
For the first time I noticed a slight water leak on the drivers side A pillar after the rain this past Saturday. Next time I bring it in I'll have them look at it.
They gave me no argument when I asked them to flash my computer for 33" tires and they didn't charge me. They also replaced my rear window for free when it was delivered because it had some scratches on it. Again, no argument. Because I purchased a Jeep with them I get a free rent-a-car anytime I need service. They also have Saturday hours but only for oil changes.

My last car was an Acura and the customer service was incredible. I didn't expect the same quality from Jeep but so far it's been a good experience except for a showroom and waiting area under construction.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Salesman are another story.
My salesman new less than me when it came to the details of the Wrangler. But he wasn't pushy or rude and respected my business and to be fair, the Wrangler was new to the market at that time.

The finance guy was another story. He tried to sell me a $700 alarm system that all ready came with the Jeep. When I found out it was standard (thanks to this site) I threaten to pull my order and that was after waited 5 months for it. Then they started jumping throw hoops.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Hello Ladies and Gents...
I've been a member here since March, but obviously have not yet posted here!
So hello to all!!

I've purchased all my Jeeps (1 XJ, 4 Grands, 1 JK) from Huntington Jeep except for the JK which I purchased from Smith Haven Jeep, mainly becuase I found what I was looking for on their lot. Most of us have never found a Salesman that was more knowledgable than ourselves, and Huntington and Smith Haven are no exception. The Finance people are the WORST! The Service at Huntington used to be top notch when "Steve A" was the Service Manager (he left), but has gone incredibly downhill over the past year, and quite honestly I am not all that impressed with Smith Haven service, but hey, what can ya do.

I have had the infamous 1800 RPM squeak/chirp and of course the service guy couldn't hear it until I made them go for a ride with me. We also rode in two other 6 speeds from the lot and both had it, but they claimed it was normal and had no fix for it (this was back in May). I've made the obligitory complaints to Chrysler, but all they say is take it to another dealer, etc...
It bugs me but I am patiently waiting for a TSB before I let a dealer start messing around again. I keep here that the TSB is "coming".

I am curious if anyone here has worked with any of the LI dealers to get this chirp fixed permanently. Obviously the throw-out bearing TSB doesn't do the job!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

i bought and get mine serviced from island jeep in lindenhurst, wven though i live in huntington. the sales team at hunt. are idiots i agree, the guy that sold me mine at island was a wrangler owner for 10 years...he knew what he was talking about..

they also give me a free car when i need service..
my g/f bought her commander form hunt. guess they are ok in her opinion...

i like these guys at island...they seem to know what they are talking about...just have to fix all my problems this time areound...

i am down with hittin the trail as soon as my jeep is running properly...
Old 10-31-2007, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Huntington used to be good. I purchased all of my Grands from Tony there, as did my parents. The service used to be great but really changed for the worse in the past year. I won't go back.... unless of course they can fix my squeak...

Island is good I agree... do you know if Steve A is the Service Mgr there? He used to be in Hunt but left...
Old 10-31-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Checking in from...

SAYVILLE

Very nice to have found this thread...I can't believe I didn't think to check in here before today!

Bubbamacrei, I go to HOFSTRA...I am in my Junior year, Business Management major. Hofstra is a GREAT school. Not too big, not too small. Good class sizes...again, not too big, not too small. Great sports, beautiful campus, etc. I looked at Stony Brook, too, but it was TOO BIG for me, WAY too big. Another great school though, none-the-less.

I would love to hear about the trails out in Riverhead though, sounded like there may be some out there.

I've got a couple of places I go. Beaches and wheelin'.

Beaches: Smith's Point, Democrat, Gilgo (once), Sore Thumb (once). Smith's you need the Suffolk Co. pass, available at Suffolk Co. Parks Dept. offices. There is one right by me in West Sayville at the golf course on Montauk Highway. The other 3 beaches I mentioned are all by Robert Moses, off of Ocean Parkway. You need to get the EMPIRE PASS before 4/30, but as mentioned I think the window to get the Empire Pass opens up later in the season. I have had my truck on both Smith's Point AND Democrat AFTER Labor Day...don't know when the exact cutoff is though. Technically, you do need stuff like a shovel, jack, full size spare, porta-potti, fishing rods, wood, etc. on board when on the beaches. And yes, I air my tires down (stock 6 speed X with 3.21's and the P225 Goodyears). Between wheelin' (I don't airdown when wheelin') I have never gotten stuck. Mud, ice, snow, sand, rocks, whatever.

As for filling up, Smiths Point has an air station that works GOOD AND QUICK. So does Democrat, but you need the hose. If you don't have a hose (like me sometimes) I take it easy over the bridge on Robert Moses Causeway to Montauk Highway and hit up the Shell gas station's air pump.

Beaches are good...but trails are better for wheelin'!

There's a place some of my friends and I go wheelin' for some hills and a little mud, off Rt. 111 by the LIE. Old construction dumpsite or something? People take their quads there a lot, even some R/C (Remote Control) guys.

I don't want to get into the next one too much...but anyone know what I mean when I talk about SUFFOLK MEADOWS?

I know that's a lot of random stuff, but I hope it helps all the LI guys. I *HEAR* there are some good trails farther out East on Long Island. I know there are more beaches, but I *HEARD* that there's a good wheelin' spot around Exit 64 of Sunrise Highway, and a REAL good wheelin' spot in Montauk out by Camp Hero? Would LOVE to hear some more information on that though.

I am also hoping to find some people serious about wheeling that are near me, because my friends here (I'm 20, some of them are 18 or so, the ones with Jeeps) all have old Jeeps/trucks...XJ Cherokees, one lifted Liberty, a few other trucks in the mix. But most of the time they wind up backing out of wheeling because of one reason or another...aux. cooling fan bad, bad springs, "I don't feel like beating my truck", yada yada yada. So it's been a while since I've gone on a trail or real wheelin'...just on the beach a bunch as of late.

ANYWAY...

I work 4 days a week and go to school 4 days a week, so it's hard to get a chance to go wheelin'. Believe it or not, a lot of the trips I do are at night. Winter is good for wheelin' for me! And, as for snow...I've HATED snow for the last several years. Now, with the Jeep, I CANNOT WAIT for it to start snowing! I can picture the 'stillness' after a snow storm...gonna go sliding around in the JK once it starts comin' down! Now that the summer and warmth is gone, I want it to get COLD!

Well, that's it for now. Long winded, I know I know. But I'm a Long Islander that can TALK! Guys, hit me up. I'm always up for trips as long as it fits into my schedule. PM me, IM me (BrianStell on AOL/AIM), E-Mail me (BrianStell@aol.com), call me (cell: (631) 960-2560, I don't care. I've been dying to network with some other JKs across the Island, so here I am!

I will talk to you guys later!

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY