Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a side note to permits...

I saw a post on Smith's Point facebook page. They said they are selling permits but you must sign a waiver. The waiver stipulates you are paying full price but Smith's Point may not open at all this year but you can use at Montauk and Cupsouge. NO REFUNDS!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Install couldn't have been easier...

Though I followed the parts list that was in the install instructions and ended up with a gojillion extra washers and long stainless bolts.. No idea why they listed what they did. The 3/4" and 1" bolts were fine.

I have a few more pics I'll add.

Side note...

I've scoured the NYS MV Laws online and can't find anything about whether side turn indicators need to be amber or if red or yellow are legal..

I have a line on 30mm LED button lights to install in the leading edge of the fender at the front sheet metal. The would work perfect, but not sure if I'll have issues with inspection... I already installed reflectors where the side indicators were located in the fenders.

While doing the install, I see my drvr front shock is toast.. gotta change them.

Should be picking up the half-doors from the paint shop this week. Trek Top is cleaned ready to go on.
looks great , now you need to tril the edges on the rubi rails about an inch or so .... i believe they have to be amber , but dont hold me to that , glad they worked out for you
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lijeepguy
a few pics of the JK as its being built Attachment 433563Attachment 433564 so so far its got 3in Teraflex lift with flex arms , tera flex monster track bat , teraflex diff covers , EVO tubes , gussets and skids , yukon 513 gears , smittybilt xrc bumpers and an engo 9000 winch with synthetic line, oh and .75 poly pucks front and rear ... im ready to wheel , anyone going to rausch for east coast ejs , ill be there sat to wheel
Looking great!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by conifers4
Looking great!
thanks bro
Old 03-15-2013, 02:23 AM
JK Super Freak

looks great , now you need to tril the edges on the rubi rails about an inch or so .... i believe they have to be amber , but dont hold me to that , glad they worked out for you
Easy enough to do.. I am taking the rails off to repaint them, and weld in one more gusset, so I can shorten them in a blink.. Those were actually off a JKU and I shortened them about 19"

Having a hard time finding a side marker that I like.. Called Xenon and they suck at returning calls. Quadratec says they can get them, but not sure I want to go with the OE design. Maybe a running board light or something.

Got the bug for an ORFab rear carrier with Rotopax.. if anyone sees one for sale let me know!

Stopped by the paint shop to check on the half doors. The mirror recess is glassed and filled. All masked off and primered. Paint should go on in a few days but I am not putting them on until the first week of April.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Easy enough to do.. I am taking the rails off to repaint them, and weld in one more gusset, so I can shorten them in a blink.. Those were actually off a JKU and I shortened them about 19"

Having a hard time finding a side marker that I like.. Called Xenon and they suck at returning calls. Quadratec says they can get them, but not sure I want to go with the OE design. Maybe a running board light or something.

Got the bug for an ORFab rear carrier with Rotopax.. if anyone sees one for sale let me know!

Stopped by the paint shop to check on the half doors. The mirror recess is glassed and filled. All masked off and primered. Paint should go on in a few days but I am not putting them on until the first week of April.
JK is looking great mike , stop at any real truck stop and i bet you will find a marker light you will like they have tons of them, or you can always put one in the inner fender well , the xenons look great ... id love a set of !/@ doors , but id want all four , with upper and the $$$$ isnt in my pockets
Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey mike I know those door steps are custom made by you but what parts do they consist of
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by just words
Hey mike I know those door steps are custom made by you but what parts do they consist of
Those look like the poison spyder DIY Rico steps
Old 03-15-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

JK is looking great mike , stop at any real truck stop and i bet you will find a marker light you will like they have tons of them, or you can always put one in the inner fender well , the xenons look great ... id love a set of !/@ doors , but id want all four , with upper and the $$$$ isnt in my pockets
Looked at the rails.. no room to cut them. The gussets at the ends of the rails are welded withing a half inch of the end the Rubi Rail. I welded them pretty close to the ends. The same length as the trimmed pinch seem.

I've scoured the web for the marker light. Lots of options. Xenon does sell the light and harness.. only $20. But I think I am going to stay with the DIY option, just because I can. Lot's of Jeepers have rigged the stock lights back under the fender.. just screwed it in or zip tied it. I am going to do it cleaner. Stay tuned.

As far as the doors.. I have the Rugged Ridge halfies with the uppers. Once they go on, it's like nirvana. There is more leg room because they aren't as thick as the stockers (full or half); they are obviously more open and airy, with or without a top. The uppers are perfect for summer, but truth told, I leave them off and just toss a trail cover over the jeep. With the Trektop on, it's going to look great.

Gotta say, I love the fenders.. Thanks!!

Right now my mod list is mostly DIY stuff..
-An LED light bar on the hood, for which I am going to mweld my own version of the BDF / Rigid brackets;
-stubby the rear bumper, you won't be able to tell I did it;
-make a sun shade for top off or with the CRES on;
-finish welding the bungs on the front cargo carrier;
-the marker lights;
-my version of the Drake hood latches;
-add a second QR pickup out back for the OBA instead of stretching the hose to the far corner... picking up momentum!!

Yup... I made them from a set of JKU Rubi Rails and the PSC Rico Steps. Few things are as rewarding or versatile as a Sawsall and a Mig Welder!!

Old 03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

i believe he said to me poison spider kit, they look pretty solid

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY