Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffhockey98
Anyone near east setauket? Got friends up there and haven't been able to get through to them. Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected up there.
In Smithtown here. Just got power back last night. Are they near 25a or 347? Cell service is spotty at best.

Anything I can do?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are pics of my immediate neighborhood. I personally sustained no damage and everyone I know is safe. In the dark and cold, but safe.

Um, WTF:

And the other end of my block:

Those are my wires:

This one took out 4 cars:

AdamIsAdam
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Hope everyone is safe and made it through ok.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Just got power back... Heat feels good also! Nobody more happy than my two boys! Woo Hooo...
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does any Long Island member have a factory tire carrier they could sell? 2008 Rubicon. I backed into my neighbors F250 during the blackout and smashed mine
I hope everyone is getting through these tough times ok.
Brian
Old 11-06-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default Sandy

Hello, still no power. Have small generator, run in morning and at nite to heat up house. Tuff time geting gas to run it. Low class people screwing that up. Water stoped 150 ft. from the house. Thank God for small favers. Everyone hang in there.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I live on the bay on the south shore and we took a frontal assault..

Miles of homes are still without heat, electric and water.

The damage/devastation is beyond what I could imagine. I made three attempts to get to the house at various times of the storm and even with the JK, I aborted all three.. water was way too deep. The homes around me are all pretty much uninhabitable other than one or two die-hards.

The streets are littered with debris from the bay; wood, decking, pilings, mud... Boats are scattered all over the streets. A 40-plus foot Egg Harbor sits in the middle of the street in Amityville. Ironically, while many folks rushed to have their boats pulled, it was these same boats that lifted off the dry-dock where they were supposed be protected, and drifted freely around the streets. I watched an armada of about ten boats float down Seamans Neck Road in Seaford stopping only after they plowed a small house off it's foundation.

Reports of looting are rampant. The scum-bags who do this kind of stuff are below whale shit. The most recent report was that a crew of these freaks cruised down a local canal and broke into each home that appeared vacant, accessing from the waterway. What kind of dirt-bags do that?

A neighbor was sitting in his home last night.. it was powered by an 8500KW generator. Suddenly the electric went off. It took a few seconds for him to put together that he had the generator and it wasn't LIPA's fault. But in those few seconds, the scum-bag thieves were able to disconnect the generator, hoist into a flat bed and drive away. That said.. LIPA still sucks ass.

Word to the wise.. if you don't have a locking gas cap on your JK, get one. As of Saturday, the only place that had them was AutoZone on Long Island Ave & Commack Road..

Most concerning to me was watching the news last Monday evening as Sandy hit hard. Every one of our major roads were closed. Every bridge and tunnel off of the Island.. closed. We were captive. Could you imagine if the storm was more wide-spread? We have no way off this island. My first plan of attack, once my fingers and toes thaw is to figure out how to move away from this hell-hole we try to call home.

Other than that... life is good and it's all just stuff.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I live on the bay on the south shore and we took a frontal assault..

Miles of homes are still without heat, electric and water.

The damage/devastation is beyond what I could imagine. I made three attempts to get to the house at various times of the storm and even with the JK, I aborted all three.. water was way too deep. The homes around me are all pretty much uninhabitable other than one or two die-hards.

The streets are littered with debris from the bay; wood, decking, pilings, mud... Boats are scattered all over the streets. A 40-plus foot Egg Harbor sits in the middle of the street in Amityville. Ironically, while many folks rushed to have their boats pulled, it was these same boats that lifted off the dry-dock where they were supposed be protected, and drifted freely around the streets. I watched an armada of about ten boats float down Seamans Neck Road in Seaford stopping only after they plowed a small house off it's foundation.

Reports of looting are rampant. The scum-bags who do this kind of stuff are below whale shit. The most recent report was that a crew of these freaks cruised down a local canal and broke into each home that appeared vacant, accessing from the waterway. What kind of dirt-bags do that?

A neighbor was sitting in his home last night.. it was powered by an 8500KW generator. Suddenly the electric went off. It took a few seconds for him to put together that he had the generator and it wasn't LIPA's fault. But in those few seconds, the scum-bag thieves were able to disconnect the generator, hoist into a flat bed and drive away. That said.. LIPA still sucks ass.

Word to the wise.. if you don't have a locking gas cap on your JK, get one. As of Saturday, the only place that had them was AutoZone on Long Island Ave & Commack Road..

Most concerning to me was watching the news last Monday evening as Sandy hit hard. Every one of our major roads were closed. Every bridge and tunnel off of the Island.. closed. We were captive. Could you imagine if the storm was more wide-spread? We have no way off this island. My first plan of attack, once my fingers and toes thaw is to figure out how to move away from this hell-hole we try to call home.

Other than that... life is good and it's all just stuff.
Hey Mike,
I already had two people try to steal gas from me. Two mornings in a row I went out and my gas cap was off. I turned the jeep on and I still had a full tank. Ive been told there are baffles in the gas tanks of fuel injected cars/trucks and that it is imposible to siphon the gas out of the tank that way. I dont know if that is true or not. EIther way I was lucky.

During the night of the storm I was sitting in darkness when I saw someone shining a flashlight in my house. I ran outside with my 45-70 lever action and it was just drunk parents with their very sober children assessing damage.

Be careful everyone. If anyone needs a hand with anything please shoot me a PM. Ill be more than happy to help anyway I can.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is getting crazy with the looting. A friend's coworker is living in their house with a loaded shotgun at all times just to have people not steal the furniture so they have something to burn for warmth! Never would have thought it would get this bad from the storm. If anyone needs help, please let me know and I'll do what I can.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MikekiM...Glad to see you on here! I was worried about you pal! If you or anyone else needs something please shoot me a pm. The electric at my house went on last night, fortunate to only have it out for 9 days,(and cold nights). That is nothing in comparison to the poor people who lost their homes and everything they own. They are certainly in my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY