Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 10-18-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ewbaker
I'd like to see if any of you folks can let me drive your '12 or '13 manual transmission rubicon with 4.10's

I have checked the online inventory of every dealership I could think of... best I can find are rubicons with the 3.73's and the auto...

I had a 1997 stick, 2004 rubi stick, 2006 rubi stick, 2007 rubi stick and a 2009 4dr rubi stick. The 07 and 09... I couldn't seem to enjoy the experience. I really really liked that straight 4.0 and its 5 speed. Better than the 6 speed in the 06 actually. I know it is all personal preference. But what peeved me about the 3.8l in the 07 and 09 was that the engine seemed to be better mated to an automatic. It felt like there was a narrow power band that the slip of an auto would have helped to keep the engine running in. I missed the low end torque of the 4.0. It would get up and go... when I was driving it like a nutcase, though. If you brought her up to like 4k before shifting you could get going. I liked the slow moving rowing of gears etc. I know, it;s dumb and the new ones are so much better and all. So, I got rid of the 07 and 09 and left jeep alone for a few years.

I got the bug again, and I am looking at the 13's. Unless everything is upside down, the 4.10's, Rubi package and a manual is my target. 4 door. But what about the low end torque as compared to the 3.8L? Is it any better or am I going to have to consider the auto? I understand how the autos are superior in some ways, and I don;t really want to discuss which is better... what I want is some kind of comparison between the 3.8 and 3.6, both with manual transmissions. I really want the manual transmission because I just like it... it's just fun to me is all.

But if it drives like the 07-11's with the 3.8L I would have to reconsider. Not that they drive poorly, just that I want more low end torque. Hopefully the pentastar has it?

I'll buy you a beer... or a sandwich or whatever. A six pack even.

Thanks,
Eric
Where do you live.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Redjk777
Where do you live.
Port Jefferson... about half way out on Long Island, North shore.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thinking about a Rausch trip Nov. 18th......
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Port Jeff if half way out? LOL

I can't imagine the auto is better than a stick in terms of power. My auto sucks.

AdamIsAdam
Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by conifers4
Thinking about a Rausch trip Nov. 18th......
Let me know if you are going to lock down this date. I follow you if your looking for a tag along.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

I have a 2012 Rubicon with 4:10. Im in Farmingville. PM me if you want to meet up.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by powrsurg
Let me know if you are going to lock down this date. I follow you if your looking for a tag along.
I"ll let you know, would love for you to come.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

sup y'all. I'm getting all the stuff I need so I can get The Outer Beach pass. Just waiting impatiently for my compressor to arrive. I have a newb question for guys: what are you guys using for a jackboard? I was thinking i"d use a piece of 3/4" ply 12"x12" or 16"x16". Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dropkick-JK
sup y'all. I'm getting all the stuff I need so I can get The Outer Beach pass. Just waiting impatiently for my compressor to arrive. I have a newb question for guys: what are you guys using for a jackboard? I was thinking i"d use a piece of 3/4" ply 12"x12" or 16"x16". Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hello and good luck with the pass. I use a piece of scrap 3/4 ply. It's all you really need in my opinion as long as it is big enough to fit under the whole jack and give it a good base
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by conifers4

I"ll let you know, would love for you to come.
Hey guys. If one or both of you end up going to RC that weekend do you have room for 2 more. We are both stock jku's, my fiancé and I, but hers is a rubi. What type of trails would you guys be running. We usually do greens and green/blues (until we upgrade more) but we don't mind pulling off the trail so people can run blues and blacks. Please lemme know on here or pm so we can plan. We were gonna do a trip the week before but will move it to run with you guys.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY