Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 03-06-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joey2times
word... I need to find trails upstate near Hunter Mt that I can try out too!!

Know any up that way ??
The Belt Parkway.

Seriously though, right after you reach the top of the mountain road there's a sign for a Lake (something) on the right. There are some trails in that area.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
The Belt Parkway.

Seriously though, right after you reach the top of the mountain road there's a sign for a Lake (something) on the right. There are some trails in that area.
HOLD THE PHONE! I'm here now, skiing! (it's empty and there's good snow ). are you saying at the top of which road? can u give me directions from when I turned into hunter off the main road as I cross that little creek bridge? I'd LOVE to try out the JK for the first time a little bit!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
HOLD THE PHONE! I'm here now, skiing! (it's empty and there's good snow ). are you saying at the top of which road? can u give me directions from when I turned into hunter off the main road as I cross that little creek bridge? I'd LOVE to try out the JK for the first time a little bit!
Don't tell me that. I was going to call in sick today and take a day trip. Couldn't find anyone to ride with so, I'm sitting at my desk.

Their are several dirt/rocky roads leading to construction near the school if you make a left out of Hunter. On your way home, right before you head down the mountain road you'll see a sign for Lake (something). there are several fire roads and trails and mountain bike trails. Also, ask any of the local Jeeps covered in mud around town.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

I didn't see any "Lake _____" sign. I did ask a jeeper and he told me the odl ski place, I forgot the name but it's on the way home form Hunter, has some trails. I was having fun utnil i hit deps now. Freaked out about getting stuck alone with my 9 and 5 yearolds, I chose an alternate rout.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

DUDE where is this place???

You gotta give me a mapquest link or something...

I got a house up there and I am def going to be going up in the summer and wheeling hahaha

The mountain road and lake sign confuses me... I didnt think there was any lakes around there.... If I am sitting at hunter mountain entrance driving away from the mountain where do I head?!!?!

This has got to be explored!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

guys check out ateam4x4.com we just had a blast at Rausch Creek this past weekend
Attachment 20452

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-24-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Great weekend for it! I can't wait to hit it with you. How long is the drive from LI?

As for Hunter, I couldn't find that "Lake ____" sign. But I did find a jeep and asked him where to go. About 2 miles down the road (Rt 23 I thing that is) from Hunter is an old ski mountain. Towards home it's on your right. I forget the name, starts with a C. There's still a sign there. I went in there and they are building new homes. I drove up the access roads, then into some trails. I was alone with my two young sons, so as soon as the snow got deep, I freaked out and turned back. I then took a different trail that led right out onto the ski slopes! My son wanted to drive down the mountain, but I was afraid I'd get to the bottom and there's be no way out cause it was fenced off. So I again turned around (doing so almost got me stuck of course) and headed back. Like I said, I'm VERY uncomfortable wheeling alone. Espeiciall w/o a winch.

But the day was not a total loss. When I got to my sister's house in Stony Point for dinner, my nephew was all excited to show me some local trails. So we did that in the dark. They were real trails, not tought, but hilly and rocky. Fun.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

its about a 3 and a half/ 4 hour drive from LI but well worth it

great pic matt
Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

video from the weekend!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi5WovAZgDY
Old 03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow looks like you all had fun! I hope I get some money and free time together to join you all one time!

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY