Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 07-19-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I get a chance I'll take one of mine off ad measure it.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Hey Nick... Someone could benefit from your experience...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...ht-kit-240633/
I put in my 2 cents.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam

Really? NO ONE? c'mon, help a guy out!
I too am off your route
Old 07-20-2012, 01:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
If I get a chance I'll take one of mine off ad measure it.
Michael you don't have to do that. You've already helped enough. We got to plan another meet soon
Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by just words
Michael you don't have to do that. You've already helped enough. We got to plan another meet soon
Got it.. let me know if you get stuck...

I was planning to head out to the beach tonight, but not sure what the weather is going to do...
Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got back from Shinnecock today. Major problem...I aired down at the front all set to shift into 4wd and the shifter is extremely loose. After doing a quick google search it appears my shifter cable has broken or come loose.

Problem is Jeep is in 4wd. We did spend the day at the beach, but driving home was sure aggravating. Never went over 40mph and stayed on Montauk hwy all the way to Oakdale. When ever I had to make a turn I did it real slow. It took us about 1hr 45min.

Has this happened to anyone else? It seems to be a known issue.

What I don't get is how it happened. First off I never use 4L. I read it most happens when shifting into 4L.
Secondly last time I used it it was perfectly fine. I have only used 4wd a handful of times. Lastly, the shifter felt broken when I went to shift into 4wd, so how did it get to 4wd?

And to make matters worse... Last time I had jeep serviced they forgot to replace my soft top from the recall. Plus they tried to fix my leak and made it 100 times worse.

Extremely frustrating!

-Evan

Last edited by evan631; 07-22-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Was also at shinnecock today..perfect day!

I also had a similar problem after picking my 11 2 door up from the dealership. Had jt in there because my overdrive button was stuck down i noticed the linkage was disconnected days later ...dealership made it out like i did it
Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evan631
Just got back from Shinnecock today. Major problem...I aired down at the front all set to shift into 4wd and the shifter is extremely loose. After doing a quick google search it appears my shifter cable has broken or come loose.

Problem is Jeep is in 4wd. We did spend the day at the beach, but driving home was sure aggravating. Never went over 40mph and stayed on Montauk hwy all the way to Oakdale. When ever I had to make a turn I did it real slow. It took us about 1hr 45min.

Has this happened to anyone else? It seems to be a known issue.

What I don't get is how it happened. First off I never use 4L. I read it most happens when shifting into 4L.
Secondly last time I used it it was perfectly fine. I have only used 4wd a handful of times. Lastly, the shifter felt broken when I went to shift into 4wd, so how did it get to 4wd?

And to make matters worse... Last time I had jeep serviced they forgot to replace my soft top from the recall. Plus they tried to fix my leak and made it 100 times worse.

Extremely frustrating!

-Evan
Yes, known issue. It's a plastic end piece on the cable end that gives, without warning

Next time, crawl under and manually shift it back into 2WD. Watch the got exhaust ;-)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can anyone show pic how to shift into 2wd from underneath? Couldn't find anything yesterday.

Still trying to figure out how this happened. It was good last time I used it. There is no skill to get into 4h...I never used 4l. Just don't see how this happened especially because when I went to shift into 4wd it was broken then and already in 4h. Unless my buddy did it while I was airing down and jeep was off.

Oh well... Time to get it fixed.

Last edited by evan631; 07-23-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go under the jeep on the drivers side so you're under about where the drivers feet are. Have a helper jiggle the transfercase shifter. You should see some movement of the linkage near the exhaust piping. I forget which way you need to move the linkage, but I'm sure you can find that info on the many threads here about that topic, I know I've read about it.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CHUCK THE WHEELS FIRST! YOU MAY BE PUTTING THE T CASE INTO NEUTRAL.

And no, the dealer didn't do this. The cheap, plastic part is designed to break away to save the transfer case from damage if forced into gear. But as you know, it's a flawed design, often failing to easily.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY