Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of clouds but the beach was still awesome.. We covered all of Sore Thumb and D-Point. Passed through Captree to see if anyone showed up..

Chuck.. Great meeting you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2965838317.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	340789
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Hey mike is Demo open again? Like the beach side? It's been closed due to plovers.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great time on the beach tonight. Mike it was a pleasure. Little blurry, still shot from a video
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1902372177.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	340799  
Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by powrsurg
Is it worth putting 93 in to get one more mpg? Up until the 2012, not many people with the 3.8 ever put in 4:56's. THey usualy started at 4:88. Im sure as time goes on the 2012 owners will start putting the 4:56's on and post a write up. At this points its not not easy even finding soneone who has an inventory of 4:56's on hand.
I played around with prices and my tuner after you said this and here's what I found jeep runs so much smoother on the 93 setting vs 87. I could actually feel the strain on 87 of the gutles 3.8 trying to pull the 35's vs the smooth almost stock feel of the 93 setting. I'm never going back until my regear and when. I did the math the last 4 fill ups I did 2 87 and 2 93 octane and drove very similar routes each fill up. I pay just over $5.00 per fill up to run 93 and went from 13.5-14.8 to. 15.6-17.0 MPG. So yes its completely worth it for the jeep and wallets sake
Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Each year I take a weekday off in late September or early October and cruise the east end. I go east all summer, but I prefer doing this trip once the summer tourists are gone so I can connect with the east end as it should be.

I start before the sun is up and don't return until close to mid-night.

My normal stops are east of the Hampton Bays..

These were the spots on last years itinerary and I hit almost all of them if only in passing through.

Mostly around Napeague, East Hampton and Montauk. I hit as many beaches as I can with no real agenda other than to grab some cool pics on some of the best beaches around. This year I am considering going out on the south fork as I always do, crossing over to Shelter Island and chill there late in the day, then take the North Fork home. This depends on what attractions and beaches I can find that catch my interest. No 4x4 locations to hit on the North Fork unfortunately.

The beaches I hit require either the State or Suffolk permits. Mostly the State Fishing permit since the best spots are Montauk, Hither Hills and Napeague Beach.

While I love doing this trip alone, it would be really cool to roll into a bunch of locations with a caravan of rigs.

I know it's a long way off, but I've already started planning my route and stops. I take tide, sun and my stomach into consideration.

I would like to know if anyone is interested in making this one-day trip.. Not passing interest, but interested to the point that we can lock up a date within the next few weeks. Coordinating this for more than just myself is many times more difficult so I don't want to it and have people bail out. I'd just as soon do it alone as I always have.

Napeague Beach, Montauk, Hither Hills...
Nice pics. Love the road trip idea. And the Google maps. I do the same thing when I'm wheeling.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by just words
Great time on the beach tonight. Mike it was a pleasure. Little blurry, still shot from a video
Sorry i missed out, I didnt get home from work till 8:45. hopefully we can do something like this soon.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by skippyrock
Hey mike is Demo open again? Like the beach side? It's been closed due to plovers.
Both the inlet and ocean sides are open... And really active..

For those interested, the police were out at Sore Thumb.. When I arrived, they were 'assisting' a Ford F150 that dug in up to its axles and was going no where.. I spoke to the officer for a few minutes but he never asked for my permit. He passed me again later in the evening and again, didn't request a permit to check my gear. Maybe I looked like I had it all together..

I saw him again when I left Sore Thumb, and an hour or so later when I was leaving D-Pt.

Suffolk County Marine Patrol Marked with regular Suffolk police markings..
Old 07-14-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Both the inlet and ocean sides are open... And really active..

For those interested, the police were out at Sore Thumb.. When I arrived, they were 'assisting' a Ford F150 that dug in up to its axles and was going no where.. I spoke to the officer for a few minutes but he never asked for my permit. He passed me again later in the evening and again, didn't request a permit to check my gear. Maybe I looked like I had it all together..

I saw him again when I left Sore Thumb, and an hour or so later when I was leaving D-Pt.

Suffolk County Marine Patrol Marked with regular Suffolk police markings..
sweet thnx, looks like im going fishing monday night woooo
Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I never knew you can ride beach at captree. Is that the state permit ? Where is the beach access at captree?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by evan631
I never knew you can ride beach at captree. Is that the state permit ? Where is the beach access at captree?
No beaches with access at or near Captree.. The closest are Sore Thumb which is west of Captree & Oak Beach and east of Cedar and Democrat Pt.. over the bridge and west on the ocean road to the end.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY