Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK4x4wrangler
Awesome! PM sent
PM replied....
Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick-NY
That would work for me. Do I need a Permit or anything? I Know how to get there by boat but how do i get there from land?
You need the State Fishing permit...

I have no idea how or how often they check the permits. In my trips out there I have never seen a patrol vehicle or been asked to produce my permit.

The entrance is on the south side of Ocean Pky, east of Overlook Beach, but before you get to Oak Beach. Easy to miss it... look for the dirt road on your right.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM

I have no idea how or how often they check the permits. In my trips out there I have never seen a patrol vehicle or been asked to produce my permit.

The entrance is on the south side of Ocean Pky, east of Overlook Beach, but before you get to Oak Beach. Easy to miss it... look for the dirt road on your right.
I think i've seen the road on my way to Captree, Do i need to air down when i get there? I may have to take a trip to Harbor Freight if i do.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

They check permits on sat sun between like noon and 5. I've been checked a few times, if ur pass is displayed and ur not paying attention you wouldn't notice. The suffolk pd drives the beach on green gators and state parks now uses a white Durango. Ive never seen them out at thumb past 5. I've seen them out at demo all night. They are more strict at demo, no grill no hanging out. Only fishing.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

If people are afraid of the permit issue..... Can meet down the road at captree. At sunset (forget the exact time) they stop charging. And we could grill there and what not. Then go drive the beach.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks.. that explains why I don't see them.. too busy watching the water. And have been going after hours. Can't beat the sunset.

Captree could be cool.. Huge parking lot at the end opposite the marina.. But it gets a little buggy there.

Nick, MUST you air down? No. Should you? Sure thing. The wider foot print lets you float over the sand not dig in. Just a word on the HF compressors.. shit. My first compressor was one of their small plug in jobs and the thing couldn't inflate a beach ball. I have since upgraded to an MV-50 and some point I am going to upgrade that too. My girls get a little impatient even though I am back up to pressure in under ten minutes...
Old 07-12-2012, 02:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that is the Beach Buggy Pass which hasn't been available yet this year due to erosion. The Beach Buggy pass give you access to the strip that goes from Cedar Beach to Sore Thumb.. I think.
Wait, can I, as a TOBAY resident, still get some sort of pass to drive & "fish" on any of these beaches? This year I didn't get my beach pass on time.

AdamIsAdam
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Wait, can I, as a TOBAY resident, still get some sort of pass to drive & "fish" on any of these beaches? This year I didn't get my beach pass on time.

AdamIsAdam
I don't know for sure. I think there is a window on the State fishing permit..January to April. You can't figure a way to be Suffolk County can you? The Suffolk passes are still available..
Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which Suffolk beach passed? Other than Smith's point.

AdamIsAdam
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Which Suffolk beach passed? Other than Smith's point.

AdamIsAdam
You mean which beaches you can get on?

Smith Point
Cupsogue Beach, West Hampton
Charles Altenkirch County Park - Hampton Bays
Shinnecock East County Park - Southhampton
Cedar Point County County Park - East Hampton
Theodore Roosevelt County Park - Montauk..

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY