Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Well, if anyone with a two door is looking to add Rubi Rails, but can't locate a set.. The JKU rails will work just fine.

Cut about 19" off the back end of each rail and mounted them with no problem. Chopped the pinch seem to match the rails length.

Everything lines perfect.. Next up, Poison Spyder Rico Steps!!
Looks great nice job
Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, if anyone with a two door is looking to add Rubi Rails, but can't locate a set.. The JKU rails will work just fine.

Cut about 19" off the back end of each rail and mounted them with no problem. Chopped the pinch seem to match the rails length.

Lookin good : )
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great, especially with those RR doors!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

thanks.. going to weld up a set of these...

Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks.. going to weld up a set of these...
Not asking to be a dick. Just curious. How will those be different from the smittybuilt side armor u used to have(stronger or better etc). Also asking cause i was gonna buy the side armor for my 4door but if this set up is better ill do this
Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

The SRC Side Armor has three pipes.. The top two are mounted about two inches lower than the top of the PSC step. The third pipe hangs down over six inches lower than the bottom of the PSC sliders pipe and just below the frame rail.

So, first and primary reason is to gain the clearance under the pinch seam.

Second reason is I didn't like the three pipes running together. I have a young child who climbs up and around the jeep and I always have visions of her slipping and her leg getting all tangled up in the mess of tubes. Might still be a concern on the PSC setup, but it doesn't stick as far out from the body so less chance to get caught up in between the pipes.

Third reason is the SRC's have a very heavy visual weight to them.. it made my rig look too low and wide. I am probably going to go with a set of flatties and the SRC rails are too bulky.

Fourth reason, I want to do the welding myself. I am going to add one or two more mounting points.

Fifth.. it's Poison Spyder!! I love their stuff! Sixth reason, I have seen dozens of rigs around LI all wearing the Smittybilt rails. Not a single one with the Rico Steps.

Next, tons of folks said the JKU rails wouldn't fit and I wanted to prove them wrong.

And the last reason.. I can't leave well enough alone.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Michael! Look forward to seeing the Rico steps mounted up.

I got around to installing the Thrush muffler this afternoon, was a bit of a chore even after the PB blaster and lithium grease we spoke of but with patience and persistence I eventually won the battle! I LOVE it, it actually does cover up some of my tire noise!!

Didn't relocate the plate yet though
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have that same problem!! Lol
Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

The SRC Side Armor has three pipes.. The top two are mounted about two inches lower than the top of the PSC step. The third pipe hangs down over six inches lower than the bottom of the PSC sliders pipe and just below the frame rail.

So, first and primary reason is to gain the clearance under the pinch seam.

Second reason is I didn't like the three pipes running together. I have a young child who climbs up and around the jeep and I always have visions of her slipping and her leg getting all tangled up in the mess of tubes. Might still be a concern on the PSC setup, but it doesn't stick as far out from the body so less chance to get caught up in between the pipes.

Third reason is the SRC's have a very heavy visual weight to them.. it made my rig look too low and wide. I am probably going to go with a set of flatties and the SRC rails are too bulky.

Fourth reason, I want to do the welding myself. I am going to add one or two more mounting points.

Fifth.. it's Poison Spyder!! I love their stuff! Sixth reason, I have seen dozens of rigs around LI all wearing the Smittybilt rails. Not a single one with the Rico Steps.

Next, tons of folks said the JKU rails wouldn't fit and I wanted to prove them wrong.

Sounds like all good reasons to me, especially the last one lol. i do like the look of the setup too. Looks like it gives plenty of protection without losing clearance
Old 06-25-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mcguyver
I have that same problem!! Lol
This.. I know!

Sorry I missed your call this afternoon.. I'll shoot you a PM in the morning. Call me if you have time. In the interim.. here are the new mirrors...

Click the pic for more...

Originally Posted by conifers4
Looks great Michael! Look forward to seeing the Rico steps mounted up.

I got around to installing the Thrush muffler this afternoon, was a bit of a chore even after the PB blaster and lithium grease we spoke of but with patience and persistence I eventually won the battle! I LOVE it, it actually does cover up some of my tire noise!!

Didn't relocate the plate yet though
That's awesome!! Glad it works for you. Your muffler has been on there a few years more than mine was and I had to soak it before it would budge. Bet that beast sings now! A low rumble of exhaust combined with the hum of MT's!

Kids? Did you say something? Kids? Are you still back there? Kids? Honey, we may have lost the kids...

Originally Posted by Drayko88
Sounds like all good reasons to me, especially the last one lol. i do like the look of the setup too. Looks like it gives plenty of protection without losing clearance
That was the primary reason but like the rest of you FF's, I can't help but think I can make things better!! The PSC side steps should be here by Friday so I have all weekend to get them on! Now I have to decide powder coat or some spray on bed armor...

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY