Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY 500th POST I am officially a JK FREAK haha
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

The permits arent all their cracked out to be unless your big into fishing, the only decent one I've seen is the Smith Point which is a county permit and you dont have to bring fishing equipment and you can cook on the beach. Seems the state permits require you to actually fish and carry lots of equipment, not just cruise around the beach. The only permit I get the empire pass, I can goto all the state beaches, swim, and fish off the peirs if I wanna fish!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Smith's point is cool. YOu can drive on the beach. YOu can take the family and put all your gear in the truck and not have to shlep it through a parking lot! And the beaches are nice. Plus, you can follow the sandy trails all the way to the inlet facing West Hampton. There's fishing spots along the way. Lots of those little snappers at the end there that my little kids like to fish for. I only went a few times. I seem to recall it's $90. You get a fishing permit, but don't have ot carry fishing gear unless you're gonna be on the beach after dark or something like that. You need a shovel, and a few items that you should carry anyway. But they don't check.

They provide air for airing back up as you leave. It was the only time my wife drove my old jeep off road. She kinda liked it.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

congrats on the 500th post bbirish, and vindecent its nice to see your still out there lurking , i havent seen you post in quite a while , hows the promotion doing you , i guess youve been busy huh?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, I try to stop on here daily, but I dont post too much, working monday - friday and sometimes saturday so it keeps me pretty busy.

Just got a hypertec for the Jeep and running on premium fuel now, too bad its only driven on the weekends now! I cant enjoy it as much.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkrat
Buggy permits should not be abused just like guys in the trails nobody wants lose right to offroad. Most surf fisherman are not to kind to people who are not on the beach to fish. If anny thing put a pole the truck and keep evryone happy.Most buggy permits in jersey are issued as sportfishing licences and if u do not have the proper gear u can be fined or lose your licence.Every year i help people dig their trucks out that buy buggy permits and think its just afree ride on the beach,Idon't mind helping some one out but I would rather be fishing and I know all u other die hard surf fisherman know what i am talking about.Sorry I went on rant but this is something i am very passionate about and I dont even live in long island
Smith Point is a vehicle recreational use permit, no fishing required. Daytrippers welcome. I went a lot last summer just to go to the beach. Me and about 50,000 other people.

Im passionate about going to the beach.
I fish, offshore only from my fishing boat.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

ah yes, I remember that now. And that's why they say to get there early, because they limit the number of trucks on the sand!

Either way, you need a seasonal pass, right? How much is it?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

They have day passes or seasonal passes, Smith Point may actually be a town permit if I recall, since it was more money to go if you didn't reside in the Town of Brookhaven.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

When I got my permit in `06, it said "Suffolk County" on it.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea your right, I must be confusing it with another beach, you just need a county green key. I thought they had day passes for like $20 or $30 ?

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY