Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 04-04-2012, 02:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose it depends on who you talk to.. Seems you can find negative reports on just about everything.

The negative I heard before buying... it runs slow. My experience is it takes just a nick under 3 minutes to air up a 33 from 15 psi and it did all four without a kick-up.

The other negative was that the thread for the quick disconnect on the compressor is an odd-ball pitch and indeed it is. It's 1/8" MIP. This makes it a challenge if you want to convert to hard lines since the the standard air hose is 1/4 OD coarse thread. My experience... Home depot makes a simple nipple and union to convert over.

If any of you are interested..

I have mine mounted under-hood using a Sinister Fab Works bracker (about $40).

I snipped the alligator clamps off and hard wired it to the battery using a auxiliary fuse block and ran it to a switch mounted on the a-pillar (The bottom switch ~ The others are for aux lights and one is unused)

And ran a hard line from the compressor to a pick-up on the front frame rail crossmember, tucked up high.

And last, I rerouted the compressor's air filter up and under the cowl to pull in cooler air. Since the compressor is in the engine bay and my hood has locks on it, I don't have to open the hood to get at the compressor and it can draw cooler air.

I am sure I could have purchased a more powerful compressor and/or added a tank, but I am building this rig exactly how I want to use it and it is first a DD. The install left me open to adding a tank if I change my mind in the future, and if a good deal on a more powerful compressor presents itself, I can swap in a few minutes and sell this one.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome job! Looks great. Which i was handy like that!

3min to air up seems like the standard without getting into $100+ compressors. I would be fine with that. I think I will purchase the MV50.

Now to find the cheapest price. I might buy from quadratec...I have a $200 gift certificate...only issue is there shipping is out of control.

Thanks for the info...great setup you did!

-Evan

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I suppose it depends on who you talk to.. Seems you can find negative reports on just about everything.

The negative I heard before buying... it runs slow. My experience is it takes just a nick under 3 minutes to air up a 33 from 15 psi and it did all four without a kick-up.

The other negative was that the thread for the quick disconnect on the compressor is an odd-ball pitch and indeed it is. It's 1/8" MIP. This makes it a challenge if you want to convert to hard lines since the the standard air hose is 1/4 OD coarse thread. My experience... Home depot makes a simple nipple and union to convert over.

If any of you are interested..

I have mine mounted under-hood using a Sinister Fab Works bracker (about $40).

I snipped the alligator clamps off and hard wired it to the battery using a auxiliary fuse block and ran it to a switch mounted on the a-pillar (The bottom switch ~ The others are for aux lights and one is unused)

And ran a hard line from the compressor to a pick-up on the front frame rail crossmember, tucked up high.

And last, I rerouted the compressor's air filter up and under the cowl to pull in cooler air. Since the compressor is in the engine bay and my hood has locks on it, I don't have to open the hood to get at the compressor and it can draw cooler air.

I am sure I could have purchased a more powerful compressor and/or added a tank, but I am building this rig exactly how I want to use it and it is first a DD. The install left me open to adding a tank if I change my mind in the future, and if a good deal on a more powerful compressor presents itself, I can swap in a few minutes and sell this one.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by evan631
Now to find the cheapest price. I might buy from quadratec...I have a $200 gift certificate...only issue is there shipping is out of control.
I ordered the MV50 last night from Amazon it was around $86 with tax and had free "saver" shipping.
I think if you PM Quadratec on here or maybe some other forums they will hook you up with free shipping.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

great set up MikekiM! I think I'll just use mine outta the bag when I need it, after years of driving a VW on air suspension I don't wanna be bothered with it. IMO installing and maintaining a car on bags can be a huge PITA, but having OBA is def the way to go.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nick_v2
I ordered the MV50 last night from Amazon it was around $86 with tax and had free "saver" shipping.
I think if you PM Quadratec on here or maybe some other forums they will hook you up with free shipping.
I think that Quadratec loses a lot of business because of their ridiculous shipping format... like shipping by the price of the items you have ?? WTF is that ?? If I buy a $500 + tiny little part it cost more shipping then a 10$ heavy huge obnoxious package...

How is the cost of items even relevant ?
Shipping by weight maybe?

It's a huge turn off...

I know a bunch of people who browse quad all day, then pick stuff then google it elsewhere because they wont do business with quad due only to the shipping arrangements... I am one of those people... and getting free shipping from being a forum member would be great, but its almost a turn off... like if your just some average Joe, you get ripped a new one on shipping... if you happen to be a Forum Joe, oh yea don't worry shipping is free... It's not like were talking about a 5% discount or something its talking about a whole dynamic of business negated for a trivial reason, which makes me think that the whole shipping thing is just shady...

Just trying to point out how it looks... I have ordered from Quad before and will likely order from them again... but not for anything expensive because anything big/expensive I need I can get with free shipping from other vendors...
Old 04-04-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks...I keep forgetting about PM someone on the forum for shipping. My brother told me that a while back.

Regarding the MV50 I know there are two models on Quadratec...
-Superflow MV50 $69.99
-Smittybilt MV50 $89.99
Not quite sure what the difference is other than the $20.

Any thoughts?

-Evan
Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

great set up MikekiM!
Thanks.. You can call me Mike.. save yourself the dyslexia with typing the screen name...

Awesome job! Looks great. Which i was handy like that!

3min to air up seems like the standard without getting into $100+ compressors. I would be fine with that.
Thanks... not much involved to do the install. I'd be happy to help you do it.

Fifteen minutes total time.. That's just about right for my wife and daughter to get to the bathroom and do their post-beach prep, and to get the rig buttoned up for the ride home. This might help me avoid having to air-up other folks who are with me but are slackers thinking they are going to free-load off my setup. ;-) When the girls say it time to go.. it's time TO GO!!

great set up MikekiM! I think I'll just use mine outta the bag when I need it, after years of driving a VW on air suspension I don't wanna be bothered with it. IMO installing and maintaining a car on bags can be a huge PITA, but having OBA is def the way to go.
With a two door, space is at a premium. I don't want to be storing the compressor, nor do I want to deploy it. The coiled hose slips into the front frame cross-member and stays there. This way it doesn't get burried under crap in the back. I considered mounting the compressor in the cubby behind the tail light.. but it was easier to do the under-hood mount where is secure behind the locking hood latches..

Originally Posted by joey2times
...I know a bunch of people who browse quad all day, then pick stuff then google it elsewhere because they wont do business with quad due only to the shipping arrangements...
That's what I do. I get their paper catalog. Dog-ear corners and then shop for the lowest price. I'm not cheap by any stretch, but I want to keep build costs in check. I get completely out-of-control with my last project.

Regarding the MV50 I know there are two models on Quadratec...
-Superflow MV50 $69.99
-Smittybilt MV50 $89.99
Not quite sure what the difference is other than the $20.

Any thoughts?
Identical. $20 for the Smitty logo. I have the Superflow version. Again, at some point I'll swap out the compressor for a Viair, and will probably put a tank in..

Last edited by MikekiM; 04-04-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default 2010 Complete Softtop for sale

Hey Long Islanders, anyone interested in a two year old soft top off my 2010 four door JK. Top is black with tinted rear windows and comes with all hardware including door jams etc. Came with my jeep when I bought it, great condition, no rips tears, windows are not scratched etc, used for a total of about six months on my jeep over the last two years then storred in my garage. I still have all the origional boxes and packaging that the top came with. Make an offer. Located in Islip. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default Truck Shop strikes again...

Just got mine back from The Truck Shop in Sayville. 2-3" leveling kit and new 17" Throttle wheels with 285/70/17 Duratracs. What a difference!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	300317Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	300318
Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=MikekiM;2940769]One trip out to Smithpoint a few weeks ago.. it was a rainy day and I was the only one on the beach...

GREAT shot...

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY