Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 03-09-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I did the grill mod on both of my JK's... Did it with black mesh both times. The first time I did it I used those adhesive backed squares you can put the zip ties through and they promptly fell off from the engine bay heat. I left most of them loose on that job cause I wasn't into modding the 2008. I did it again with this JK and this time used epoxy so it's been holding strong.

What do you want to do colored? the mesh? I would think it would get chipped and end up looking like snot.

I used the black plastic chicken wire mesh from HD. I think I have a HUGE roll of it you want some.

Yea I might take you up on that... I was going to use those little squares and just use epoxy on the squares to make those stick then use zips on that to the grill... that way I can cut it off and repaint, or just cut it off and put a new on on every few months when the color needs touch up, or gets shitty...

what does the plastic stuff look like?
Link or photo would be great

Thanks man,
Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Barbie pink... my 8 year old would agree. Me? Not so much.

Sure thing!! Let's see..weather is getting warm.. a Six of Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat and I'll remove your grill, supply and cut the mesh and over-see the rest of the install.

That has me thinking...

I have a mod-list the length of my arm. I also have a cooler, a portable gas grill and tons of power tools. Any one want to do a Spring-Mod-Day?

Love the idea...

Of the mod day that is...

To be honest about the pink hahahaha My friends all ride rice rockets, and change paint on em pretty much twice a month in the summer to keep the heat off em (they are all idiots). but one of them went flat black and neon pink for a while... they all made fun of him but every single girl he talked to loved it and wanted him to take them on rides, which turned out more then bountiful for him in the getting ridden department hahahhahaa

I don't think I could do the same with my Jeep... Regardless of how much the women like it...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joey2times
Yea I might take you up on that... I was going to use those little squares and just use epoxy on the squares to make those stick then use zips on that to the grill... that way I can cut it off and repaint, or just cut it off and put a new on on every few months when the color needs touch up, or gets shitty...

what does the plastic stuff look like?
Link or photo would be great

Thanks man,
What I used for this JK was the same kind of zip tie things, but they are meant to be screwed in place. I epoxied them to the back of the grill. Has held strong since June.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

That looks good...

I would do the same thing you did with the epoxy I think...

I wonder how well that plastic would take rattle can
Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Not sure.. it's pretty flexible and I would think it would crack and flake as it flexes.

I'll check how much I have but I think there is plenty to do a few grills.. paint one red, one blue and one... barbie pink?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

multi-color... I think you're on to something. wHile you're at it, why not paint each fender a different color? and each section of the roof? each shock cover? STOP THE MADNESS!

-FD
Old 03-09-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C_GERM
Depending on where you guys are on the island, i'm from westchester county just over the bridge. i just picked up my 09 stone white rubicon unlimited on sunday, and loving it!
Congrats and welcome : )
Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im in for the mod day also, sounds like a great idea, also joey ive always wanted to do a black blue and silver color set with gloss black, and electric blue, i think it would look good,
Old 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fooddude
multi-color... I think you're on to something. wHile you're at it, why not paint each fender a different color? and each section of the roof? each shock cover? STOP THE MADNESS!

-FD
uhhh whut?

Ohhh are you thinking when he said we can make a few grills in different colors we would put one in each slot?

Think the point was to try a few different FULL grills and see what I like the most... Its a HUGE roll of mesh...

But yea... the point is to paint the shocks, and control arms, and diff covers... and some trim on the inside...
You know... like basically how ever single aftermarket part is? but instead of having them all different colors having them the same color... who'da'thunk'it
Old 03-10-2012, 03:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joey2times

uhhh whut?

Ohhh are you thinking when he said we can make a few grills in different colors we would put one in each slot?

Think the point was to try a few different FULL grills and see what I like the most... Its a HUGE roll of mesh...
Yeah... What he said..

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY