Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have jku 4dr steps forsale local....pm me your info please...
Thanks..
Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mcguyver
Anyone have jku 4dr steps forsale local....pm me your info please...
Thanks..
Nope, but curious...

The smittybilt armor ??

did you have to nut sert that to the body and stuff? or was it bolt on?
does it fit if you wana use a AEV snork? I heard its a no go?

sorry to highjack just haven't really seen anyone on LI rocking it... and wanted to ask
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joey2times

Nope, but curious...

The smittybilt armor ??

did you have to nut sert that to the body and stuff? or was it bolt on?
does it fit if you wana use a AEV snork? I heard its a no go?

sorry to highjack just haven't really seen anyone on LI rocking it... and wanted to ask
The front you can bolt on and skip the 2 nutserts...1 on each side. If you do use the front 2, you would see anything if you decided to go back. You also need to cut off the support bracket for the stock flare...

As far as the rears... 16 nutserts hold them on. Since I use the or fab tire carrier, I didn't use the 2 near the rear gate. Wasn't too bad to install. Just measure 2-3 times before you drill...

As far as the snorkel.. I believe you can only use the valiant one and/or wildboar.
Any question pm me... Hope this helps you..
Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

The front you can bolt on and skip the 2 nutserts...1 on each side. If you do use the front 2, you would see anything if you decided to go back. You also need to cut off the support bracket for the stock flare...

As far as the rears... 16 nutserts hold them on. Since I use the or fab tire carrier, I didn't use the 2 near the rear gate. Wasn't too bad to install. Just measure 2-3 times before you drill...

As far as the snorkel.. I believe you can only use the valiant one and/or wildboar.
Any question pm me... Hope this helps you..

Def gave me the info I needed...
on the website it says "Bolt On" "No modification needed"
drilling 18 holes in the tub seems like some serious modification... hahahaha...
They look sweeet man don't get me wrong... Just not sure I could do it... and I want to run a snork other then the hood slug.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I said the same but once it's on.... It's looks sooo good. The wild boar snorkel is awesome and I believe rugged ridge is coming out with one that'll work too...
Old 03-09-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

That armor looks friggin awesome.. Yours is one of two on LI I see regularly.

I said the same but once it's on.... It's looks sooo good. The wild boar snorkel is awesome and I believe rugged ridge is coming out with one that'll work too...
The launch of the RR snork has been on "coming in two weeks" status for what? Two years? I don't get it.. it must not work. That thing would sell like crazy but it's still in R&D. WTF?

Armor goodness... Click the pic for a few more..

Last edited by MikekiM; 03-09-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, here's a Q' for you guys...

Who has done the cheap grill mod?
Home depot special with zipties and what not... ?

Thinking about doing it this weekend... but I really need to decide on what my second color is going to be on my jeep...

Black and Red - this is what I was thinking about doing from day one... tried and true but tired also...

Black and Neon Green - Kinda a bit over the top... Gravedigger 80's style... but thats kinda fun in its own way...

Black and Electric Blue - I generally think black and blue look horrible together... but Electric blue like obnoxious neon I think would look pretty sick
I haven't though this direction or seen it done which is making me want to do it more and more...

Black and Bright Orange - I initially think, Halloween and kinda get blah... but I haven't seen it anywhere locally, and only rarely elsewhere and its always like the mango orange with black accents or grey and this would be kinda the reverse but brighter...

Black and Yellow is kinda mehh.. There is not enough that would be yellow I think and I don't know if I can get down with the yellow... I kinda want to... but at the same time Its not really me.

Black and ???? open for suggestions...

I honestly don't think half/any of you give a shit about the colors but I figured it would start some convo hahahaha even if that convo is making fun of me for caring so much about the colors of my Jeep....
Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

I did the grill mod on both of my JK's... Did it with black mesh both times. The first time I did it I used those adhesive backed squares you can put the zip ties through and they promptly fell off from the engine bay heat. I left most of them loose on that job cause I wasn't into modding the 2008. I did it again with this JK and this time used epoxy so it's been holding strong.

What do you want to do colored? the mesh? I would think it would get chipped and end up looking like snot.

I used the black plastic chicken wire mesh from HD. I think I have a HUGE roll of it you want some.

Originally Posted by joey2times
Well, here's a Q' for you guys...

Who has done the cheap grill mod?
Home depot special with zipties and what not... ?

Thinking about doing it this weekend... but I really need to decide on what my second color is going to be on my jeep...

Black and Red - this is what I was thinking about doing from day one... tried and true but tired also...

Black and Neon Green - Kinda a bit over the top... Gravedigger 80's style... but thats kinda fun in its own way...

Black and Electric Blue - I generally think black and blue look horrible together... but Electric blue like obnoxious neon I think would look pretty sick
I haven't though this direction or seen it done which is making me want to do it more and more...

Black and Bright Orange - I initially think, Halloween and kinda get blah... but I haven't seen it anywhere locally, and only rarely elsewhere and its always like the mango orange with black accents or grey and this would be kinda the reverse but brighter...

Black and Yellow is kinda mehh.. There is not enough that would be yellow I think and I don't know if I can get down with the yellow... I kinda want to... but at the same time Its not really me.

Black and ???? open for suggestions...

I honestly don't think half/any of you give a shit about the colors but I figured it would start some convo hahahaha even if that convo is making fun of me for caring so much about the colors of my Jeep....
Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

I think if the mesh were going to be colored, it should be a classic color combo so you don't get tired or it or black/grey/silver. Some contrast but subtle. If my girls were voting(ages 5 and 9) they would be split. 9 year old votes for electric blue and 5 year old votes Barbie pink.

I'd like to try but never took off the grille and have. I idea what I'm doing. I can use some of the black you have if I can get some assistance. I have beer to offer in exchange.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fooddude
Hey,

I think if the mesh were going to be colored, it should be a classic color combo so you don't get tired or it or black/grey/silver. Some contrast but subtle. If my girls were voting(ages 5 and 9) they would be split. 9 year old votes for electric blue and 5 year old votes Barbie pink.
Barbie pink... my 8 year old would agree. Me? Not so much.

Originally Posted by Fooddude
I'd like to try but never took off the grille and have. I idea what I'm doing. I can use some of the black you have if I can get some assistance. I have beer to offer in exchange.
Sure thing!! Let's see..weather is getting warm.. a Six of Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat and I'll remove your grill, supply and cut the mesh and over-see the rest of the install.

That has me thinking...

I have a mod-list the length of my arm. I also have a cooler, a portable gas grill and tons of power tools. Any one want to do a Spring-Mod-Day?

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY