Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops my bad about the ToB, if you think you will use the suffolk+green key you should get em. Worse case scenario if you dont use em you know what not to get next year : )
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I picked up my green key at smiths point but my outbeach permit at the Sayville golf course was the closest place for me
Old 02-29-2012, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I have to read through the last through posts as after a quick glance I saw a few things that didn't sound right...

As far as $90 to be able make a fire? Obviously it a personal thing, but I have wasted $90 in far worse ways than ending a beautiful day at the beach with a long fire... I spend a few weeks in Montauk each year and fires are allowed on the beaches there. Its the highlight of the trips. If you plan ahead it could be a clam bake, Smoors for the kids etc.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
That's a good summary. I am a new ToB resident, so I may look into that permit. But last year I didn't get out to the beaches once! A waste of that permit.
Do you have kids? The ToB Leisure Pass gets you into the water parks at Venetian Shores and Tanner Park, as well as a bunch of others. It will also get you in the ToB beaches out at Jones which can be a HUGE benefit when the non-residents are stacked a mile down Ocean Pky waiting to get in the other beaches.

Originally Posted by joey2times
Awesome Info man... Appreciate you taking the time to explain it out like this. You think it would be a bit more clear from the state/county/empire? hahah
No way.. think like the town/state.. the more confusing they make it the better chance you buy a pass you don't need. That equals more revenue for them. Given how much beach we have on LI, don't you think it would be easier if the state/county/town got together and agreed on one pass? NOT! Never gonna happen...

At this point it sounds like, a State pass will get you access to state beaches but not to county beaches ? and county beaches allow fires at night... and state beaches do not...
Not entirely true.. The east end state beaches (Montauk and Hither Hills) allow fires.

Originally Posted by Tanman823
I picked up my green key at smiths point but my outbeach permit at the Sayville golf course was the closest place for me
I have to call today.. I think West Sayville is open only during the week.. So, I may be out at Smiths this weekend to get my pass. If so, I'll be on the sand for a few hours for sure.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I have to read through the last through posts as after a quick glance I saw a few things that didn't sound right...

As far as $90 to be able make a fire? Obviously it a personal thing, but I have wasted $90 in far worse ways than ending a beautiful day at the beach with a long fire... I spend a few weeks in Montauk each year and fires are allowed on the beaches there. Its the highlight of the trips. If you plan ahead it could be a clam bake, Smoors for the kids etc.
I agree i have spent $90 on worse things aswell lol. to be honest i think i got a little confused with what beaches the permits allowed you to go into, i forgot the state pass allows you into montauk which allows fires. the way you said it, it definitly sounds like its worth the money. I dont see myself getting the suffolk county pass though because im very far from alot of those beaches and would rather go to the beaches on ocean parkway because they are closer to me
Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Yea I am prob going to pick up the State and Suffolk passes...

Just a heads up... I called Smiths Point yesterday and they told me "our computer is going a lil screwy" and they couldn't do green key passes because of it...

something I would double check on because you need one before you can get the suffolk pass right?

Prob going to get State this weekend, they are open this weekend right?

and then follow up with Green Key from one of the country clubs...

then go to smiths and get the county pass....

I also agree that the 93 is worth it for anyone who goes... and lights a fire and enjoys it...
I hope I get to do that

Some of the places made it seem like if you go at night, you MUST BE FISHING ACTIVELY non stop or you get in trouble...
Sure, I will bring some fishing stuff, and sure I will fish a little... but I really want to just hang out on the beach with a fire and and my girl. hahaha is that so wrong ?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound pretentious, but I would rather buy all the passes and not have to think about which once covers what..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Some of the places made it seem like if you go at night, you MUST BE FISHING ACTIVELY non stop or you get in trouble...
Sure, I will bring some fishing stuff, and sure I will fish a little... but I really want to just hang out on the beach with a fire and and my girl. hahaha is that so wrong ?
I'm in the same boat I'm by no means a commercial fisherman but will definitely fish a little but mostly just want access to the beach to hang out (not cause trouble in any way). I wonder how strict they are if your line is not in the water at all times...

I'll be picking up a State pass and Suffolk pass sometime soon for this season (b/c I'm a Jeep noob) and then next year will have a better idea of what I actually want / need.

BTW this thread is full of great local information, thanks again guys!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound pretentious, but I would rather buy all the passes and not have to think about which once covers what..
You do not sound pretentious at all man... with the amount of solid good hearted advice you give out... and the way you offer up insight and good questions in discussion I don't see how anyone could take it that way hahaha

and for the record I totally understand...

I just don't want to spend to feel like a dope with a pass I never used while the state or county or town laughs at me hahaha
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nick_v2
I'm in the same boat I'm by no means a commercial fisherman but will definitely fish a little but mostly just want access to the beach to hang out (not cause trouble in any way). I wonder how strict they are if your line is not in the water at all times...:
My only thought on this... it's a LOT of beach that needs patrolling..

You do not sound pretentious at all man... with the amount of solid good hearted advice you give out... and the way you offer up insight and good questions in discussion I don't see how anyone could take it that way hahaha

and for the record I totally understand...

I just don't want to spend to feel like a dope with a pass I never used while the state or county or town laughs at me hahaha
Thanks.. I make it up as I go along.

Kidding of course...

When I got my first rig I bought the Suffolk and State permits along with the Green thing and NEVER got off pavement.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY