Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
If by 'everything' you mean access to all the beaches and parking, that doesn't exist.. That would be great, but wouldn't be a good money maker for NY/LI.

To have access to everything, you'll need State Fishing Permit, Suffolk County permit & Green Key, Empire Pass for regular beach parking.. Not sure how or if you can get the ToB Leisure Pass and the Buggy pass without being a resident of Babylon (I don't know where you live). That would require a call or two to the town.

Each permit has limited and specific access and some kind of overlap such that you would need two passes. For instance, the State Permit gets you out on Gilgo beach, but not Cedar Beach (as I understand it) and between them is Overlook Beach. You need the Buggy Permit to legally cross Overlook Beach, from Gilgo to Cedar Beach and [I think] the ToB Fishing Permit to have access to Cedar Beach. So that's three passes to have access across the south beaches from Tobay area to Sore Thumb. And this doesn't get you out on the Suffolk beaches.

I could be wrong with some of the subtleties, but I think I am pretty accurate...

Roger that...

Thinking about it, it was state permit, and suffolk permit... 2x permits...

the green key stuff is not really needed is it? like its for parking in the lots isn't it ?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joey2times
Roger that...

Thinking about it, it was state permit, and suffolk permit... 2x permits...

the green key stuff is not really needed is it? like its for parking in the lots isn't it ?

I think it is.. at least it was for me to buy the Suffolk permit. The Green Key, as I have come to understand it, is like the Empire Pass as far as using the Suffolk parks and golf courses and Suffolk requires you have that to buy the beach permit.

So, if you want to skip the ToB Leisure Pass and also skip the Cedar Beach and Overlook Beach By-Pass, then yes... State & Suffolk+Green Key.

If you want to use the beaches & parks and avoid the daily parking fee add the Empire Pass.

This is as I understand it.. confusing right? I just buy all of them and call it a day.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't, but I buy the Empire Pass every year ( along with the ToB passes ) and just bought my State beach access pass a few weeks ago. The Suffolk permit and ToB Buggy permits are all different.
Empire pass is basically a parking permit for state parks and beaches.. Bethpage, Jones, Robert Moses etc.. But not for vehicle beach access.
State Fishing permit gets you access to Robert Moses, Gilgo, Sore Thumb, Hither Hills, Montauk etc
Suffolk gets you on Smiths Point and a bunch of others.
TOB has the Leisure Pass for parking access for Town residents.. And the Beach Buggy Pass for passage through Cedar Beach and Overlook into Gilgo.

Each have their own requirements for on-board gear. Basic safety stuff.. Jack, jack board, first aid kit, shovel etc and some require a porta potty and a fishing rig for each person on-board. It depends on the pass.

I was out there a few weekends ago and would up for a meet!!

I am looking at this... again...
Empire pass means free parking at all of those state parks? So Robert Moses and Jones Beach, you don't have to pay parking for all summer ?? or am I mistaken?

And then whats the other pass for? Beach Access ??
State Fishing permit....

But that wont get you in for parking? so if you show up with one of those you pay for parking, then can go off road?

Basically its 130 for the two of them, and then you can park and drive on the beach in select spots ??
Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joey2times

I am looking at this... again...
Empire pass means free parking at all of those state parks? So Robert Moses and Jones Beach, you don't have to pay parking for all summer ?? or am I mistaken?

And then whats the other pass for? Beach Access ??
State Fishing permit....

But that wont get you in for parking? so if you show up with one of those you pay for parking, then can go off road?

Basically its 130 for the two of them, and then you can park and drive on the beach in select spots ??
Think of it this way... The Empire Pass gets you parking at parks. I use mine to get in Sunken Meadow, Bethpage, Connectquot, Jones and Robert Moses.. Forget the off road access to the beach.. The Empire gets you in without paying the parking fee. Even for events like the Memorial Day Weekend Air Show at Jones. Pay once and access the parking all season.

For the state beaches like Gilgo or Sore Thumb you can roll right off the street onto the sand. The Gilgo entrance is right off Ocean Pky so you don't need the parking permit, just the off road permit. Same for Democrat Point. And Hither Hills and Montauk as well as Napeague beach in East Hampton...head east, make a right and out on the beach, no parking permit needed so Empire Pass is, again, expendable.

The Suffolk beaches are different and I can only speak from my perspective, which is a as a Suffolk resident, who hasn't been on the Suffolk County beaches, though I have purchased the permit in the past. I don't know if the Empire has any use for off road access on the Suffolk County beaches, but to purchase the permit to hit the sand you need the Suffolk County Green Key.

I am Town of Babylon, so I also buy the Leisure Pass which not only gets the family into the local water parks but there are ToB only beaches that I use too. So for me, that's another Permit... And then, so I can traverse Cedar Beach to Gilgo, I add the Beach Buggy pass.

I contemplated skipping the Suffolk County permit and renewal do the Green Key, but beaches like Smiths Point allow fires on the beach,like Montauk and one fire at night with the family is priceless for me,so I'll add that once its on sale.

So the short story is, if you plan to do the beach more than a few time, the Empire Pass might be worth it, but if you are focused on off road the Empire Pass has limited benefit.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think of it this way... The Empire Pass gets you parking at parks. I use mine to get in Sunken Meadow, Bethpage, Connectquot, Jones and Robert Moses.. Forget the off road access to the beach.. The Empire gets you in without paying the parking fee. Even for events like the Memorial Day Weekend Air Show at Jones. Pay once and access the parking all season.

For the state beaches like Gilgo or Sore Thumb you can roll right off the street onto the sand. The Gilgo entrance is right off Ocean Pky so you don't need the parking permit, just the off road permit. Same for Democrat Point. And Hither Hills and Montauk as well as Napeague beach in East Hampton...head east, make a right and out on the beach, no parking permit needed so Empire Pass is, again, expendable.

The Suffolk beaches are different and I can only speak from my perspective, which is a as a Suffolk resident, who hasn't been on the Suffolk County beaches, though I have purchased the permit in the past. I don't know if the Empire has any use for off road access on the Suffolk County beaches, but to purchase the permit to hit the sand you need the Suffolk County Green Key.

I am Town of Babylon, so I also buy the Leisure Pass which not only gets the family into the local water parks but there are ToB only beaches that I use too. So for me, that's another Permit... And then, so I can traverse Cedar Beach to Gilgo, I add the Beach Buggy pass.

I contemplated skipping the Suffolk County permit and renewal do the Green Key, but beaches like Smiths Point allow fires on the beach,like Montauk and one fire at night with the family is priceless for me,so I'll add that once its on sale.

So the short story is, if you plan to do the beach more than a few time, the Empire Pass might be worth it, but if you are focused on off road the Empire Pass has limited benefit.
That's a good summary. I am a new ToB resident, so I may look into that permit. But last year I didn't get out to the beaches once! A waste of that permit.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for the clarification MikekiM, I'll be picking up passes soon and hope to see you guys on the sand this summer!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Awesome Info man... Appreciate you taking the time to explain it out like this. You think it would be a bit more clear from the state/county/empire? hahah

At this point it sounds like, a State pass will get you access to state beaches but not to county beaches ? and county beaches allow fires at night... and state beaches do not...

How much are the passes as I can tell Empire pass is $65 State beach 4x4 is also $65 and then Suffolk is ??
Also where do I go about getting the passes? I feel like such a noob right now but Last time I got a pass was 3 years ago, and I didn't use it once... and I think it was just a NYS Pass... but I don't even remember...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

sooo did some calling around....

looks like you can go and get your state pass at robert moses for $65, state fishing pass...
and you can get your empire pass there too.. $65

to get your county pass you need a green card,
25 $ for 3 years - Not sure where I can get this yet but I know there are a few golf courses you can get em from...
(anyone got any other info? on em feel free to share)

after that the suffolk pass is $93 and you can get it at smiths point (that seems to be the closest place you can actually get one)
only after you have the green pass...

So my next question
I am prob not going to go to the beach/parks more then 7 times just to park and hang out... If I go I am going to go to drive on the beach and hang out there... that leads me to believe that getting the empire pass is just going to be a waste. But there are a lot of other parks and stuff that you can get into... but its like... am I really going to go enough to justify it? I don't think so...

Getting the NYS Fishing pass is pretty a definite because those beaches are the closest, and seemingly the largest to go hang out on... It seems like access is 24 hours so thats cool, you can go at night and you can go in the daytime whenever you want, so long as you have some fishing gear (because you need to have the intention of fishing... (all the other stuff required too) seems like this would be the thing I use the most, even though I don't really fish, I would mess with it once or twice, and more often just go out to hang on the beach and enjoy the weather/star gazing... No fires sucks, but whatever...

Then you have the Suffolk passes... for that you need a green key card...
25$ for the 3 years it lasts...
once you have that you can get a Suffolk 4x4 pass, which is $93... damnnn
Seems like a lot of scratch, but they do allow fires, and they do allow you 24 hour access too at most of the places.
Now from what I understand though - from what people say - these places get PACKED with cars and they are not really that big... so you are looking at a TON of bumper to bumper parked trucks... which kinda defeats the whole drive on the beach thing no? The fact that you can make a fire is awesome though, though it looks like if you plan on camping or staying you need to pay for camping sites and stuff, and that is more $

Can someone give a little more insight into there experiences with the different permits ??
Is Suffolk worth it??
Going out 1 or 2 times and making a fire would be sick, but the closest place is Smiths Point, and I hear its PACKED...
Going out further would be cool, and I guess you could make a weekend of it as a camping trip... but if you gotta pay for the camping anyway is the 93$ worth driving the extra bit onto the sand rather then just park and carry your stuff to the campsite ??

I know I am getting annoying with the damn permit questions hahaha I will try to make this the last set
Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys, been following all you've been saying with the permits and i appreciate all the info

Joey if it helps i would suggest just getting the ToB pass to go onto cedar and gilgo and the state pass for democrat and others included. Thats what i plan on doing. Doing fires on the suffolk beaches would be fun but i dont think its worth the $90 to go once or twice and i dont plan on getting the empire pass because if im going to the beach id rather drive on it lol. Just my personal opinion. Also robert moses and jones beach get packed while democrat and sore thumb are still not that crowded.
Good luck. Hope to see ya on the sand
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Drayko88
Hey guys, been following all you've been saying with the permits and i appreciate all the info

Joey if it helps i would suggest just getting the ToB pass to go onto cedar and gilgo and the state pass for democrat and others included. Thats what i plan on doing. Doing fires on the suffolk beaches would be fun but i dont think its worth the $90 to go once or twice and i dont plan on getting the empire pass because if im going to the beach id rather drive on it lol. Just my personal opinion. Also robert moses and jones beach get packed while democrat and sore thumb are still not that crowded.
Good luck. Hope to see ya on the sand

I can't get a TOB though :( I live in Huntington or Smithtown hehe...

So I am going to end up getting the NYS Fishing and prob the Suffolk + Greenkey :( or maybe just the NYS fishing and see how it goes...

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY