Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased my pass online, thanks for the info!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's the site for state passes?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 PM
JK Newbie

http://nysparks.com/admission/empire...t/default.aspx

Originally Posted by Tanman823
What's the site for state passes?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

You might want to double check that.. The Empire Pass does gain you access to the State parks and beaches, but you will still need the outer-beach / Fishing permits to get off the pavement and on the sand with your rig.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

do you have a link for that?

Originally Posted by MikekiM
You might want to double check that.. The Empire Pass does gain you access to the State parks and beaches, but you will still need the outer-beach / Fishing permits to get off the pavement and on the sand with your rig.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Anybody meet up at Captree on Sunday mornings for coffee lately???

Been thinking about it the last few weeks because of the nice weather....
Old 02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluhawk99

Would love to come down and hang out.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by newyork
do you have a link for that?

I don't, but I buy the Empire Pass every year ( along with the ToB passes ) and just bought my State beach access pass a few weeks ago. The Suffolk permit and ToB Buggy permits are all different.
Empire pass is basically a parking permit for state parks and beaches.. Bethpage, Jones, Robert Moses etc.. But not for vehicle beach access.
State Fishing permit gets you access to Robert Moses, Gilgo, Sore Thumb, Hither Hills, Montauk etc
Suffolk gets you on Smiths Point and a bunch of others.
TOB has the Leisure Pass for parking access for Town residents.. And the Beach Buggy Pass for passage through Cedar Beach and Overlook into Gilgo.

Each have their own requirements for on-board gear. Basic safety stuff.. Jack, jack board, first aid kit, shovel etc and some require a porta potty and a fishing rig for each person on-board. It depends on the pass.

Originally Posted by bluhawk99

I was out there a few weekends ago and would up for a meet!!

Last edited by MikekiM; 02-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I don't, but I buy the Empire Pass every year ( along with the ToB passes ) and just bought my State beach access pass a few weeks ago. The Suffolk permit and ToB Buggy permits are all different.
Empire pass is basically a parking permit for state parks and beaches.. Bethpage, Jones, Robert Moses etc.. But not for vehicle beach access.
State Fishing permit gets you access to Robert Moses, Gilgo, Sore Thumb, Hither Hills, Montauk etc
Suffolk gets you on Smiths Point and a bunch of others.
TOB has the Leisure Pass for parking access for Town residents.. And the Beach Buggy Pass for passage through Cedar Beach and Overlook into Gilgo.

Each have their own requirements for on-board gear. Basic safety stuff.. Jack, jack board, first aid kit, shovel etc and some require a porta potty and a fishing rig for each person on-board. It depends on the pass.

I was out there a few weekends ago and would up for a meet!!
I was under the impression there was one pass that did pretty much everything?? is that not the case??
Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joey2times
I was under the impression there was one pass that did pretty much everything?? is that not the case??
If by 'everything' you mean access to all the beaches and parking, that doesn't exist.. That would be great, but wouldn't be a good money maker for NY/LI.

To have access to everything, you'll need State Fishing Permit, Suffolk County permit & Green Key, Empire Pass for regular beach parking.. Not sure how or if you can get the ToB Leisure Pass and the Buggy pass without being a resident of Babylon (I don't know where you live). That would require a call or two to the town.

Each permit has limited and specific access and some kind of overlap such that you would need two passes. For instance, the State Permit gets you out on Gilgo beach, but not Cedar Beach (as I understand it) and between them is Overlook Beach. You need the Buggy Permit to legally cross Overlook Beach, from Gilgo to Cedar Beach and [I think] the ToB Fishing Permit to have access to Cedar Beach. So that's three passes to have access across the south beaches from Tobay area to Sore Thumb. And this doesn't get you out on the Suffolk beaches.

I could be wrong with some of the subtleties, but I think I am pretty accurate...

Last edited by MikekiM; 02-27-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY