Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Followed this nice looking CJ from the far south shore all the way up Rte 135 and off at Jericho Tpke..

It was a woman driving and yes.. she put her makeup on in the rear view mirror, but not a whole lot of makeup. If you took my truck, painted it white, beat it up a little and rolled back the model year it would be this CJ, so we had some commonality. She had an LIOR windshield sticker so I assume she was a Jeeper, not just a Jeep owner. I noticed it as I left my house yesterday and we stuck together on the ride to work. You would think that after following each other almost door-to-door and having similar mods that as we parted company we would get a wave? A thumbs up? A nod?

Nadda. Nope. Nothing.

I keep trying to a get a wave back but the LI Jeep community doesn't get it anymore. There are a few Jeepers I see locally who I know will wave, but it's like one-in-a-hundred... Sad.
Where do you live? I'll wave to you near 135 & jericho.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

humph.... I gotta say I have gotten the wave enough...

Mostly other modded Jeeps and in situations where you can actually get a non awkward wave...

the other day someone flashed there lights from across a light, then threw the wave when we crossed... I liked the flash first its like a heads up..

If every jeep that passed waved I would get fed up trying to wave back...
Old 02-08-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I also just realized I have stopped waving to stock jeeps because there are so many and they never wave back... that being said if they wave I wave back for sure...

Unless doors off or top off, then I wave regardless...
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tanman823
So have anyone picked up their beach permit yet? I'm thinking at the end of the month I'll grab mine. There's a few beaches I want to make it out to this season

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
I got my state pass back in January.. the local (Babylon) isn't available yet. I may end up getting Suffolk as well. The Babylon beaches are minutes from my home and would get the most use for me. But Suffolk allows fires and the family loves fires on the beach when we're out in Montauk.

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Where do you live? I'll wave to you near 135 & jericho.
Live on the bay around Amityville. Work in Woodbury in the Media Crossways.

Originally Posted by joey2times
humph.... I gotta say I have gotten the wave enough...

Mostly other modded Jeeps and in situations where you can actually get a non awkward wave...

the other day someone flashed there lights from across a light, then threw the wave when we crossed... I liked the flash first its like a heads up..

If every jeep that passed waved I would get fed up trying to wave back...
There are two or three modded rigs near me that are pretty reliable for a wave or heads-up. This one that I followed, at least by looks, should have been a sure bet for a wave. LIOR sticker, some trail rash, definitely modded a bit..

Originally Posted by joey2times
I also just realized I have stopped waving to stock jeeps because there are so many and they never wave back... that being said if they wave I wave back for sure...

Unless doors off or top off, then I wave regardless...
Like you I gave up on the stock jeeps.. they don't get it. But it's a fine line these days especially when the dealerships are rolling lifted jeeps off the lot. A lifted rig is the soup du jour and can easily have a soccer mom driving it.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Two things...

I have a stock Sahara...I wave to every jeep if I see them. I would have to say most of the people driving jeeps these days don't know about the tradition.

Second thing...

You guys were talking about driving on the beach. I just was down a smiths point today...and was tempted to drive down the beach. Do you need a permit for the winter, didn't look like anyone was at the gate?

I have never been on the beach before. Any tips?

I want to purchase a recovery strap...any recommendations from quadratec?

If I air down, do I need to supply my own air hose? If so what do you recommend? Are the fittings standard on all air hook ups.

Are there any maps online that show where we can ride on beaches?

Where else can we drive on beach?

It appears I need both state and county permits. I suppose I will get them soon.

Thanks
-Evan
Old 02-09-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evan631
Two things...

I have a stock Sahara...I wave to every jeep if I see them. I would have to say most of the people driving jeeps these days don't know about the tradition.

Second thing...

You guys were talking about driving on the beach. I just was down a smiths point today...and was tempted to drive down the beach. Do you need a permit for the winter, didn't look like anyone was at the gate?

If I air down, do I need to supply my own air hose? If so what do you recommend? Are the fittings standard on all air hook ups.

It appears I need both state and county permits. I suppose I will get them soon.

Thanks
-Evan
Not really sure if driving on there now would be a good idea but I'm not sure, for more beaches just Google off road Suffolk County parks. Should give you all the info you need, you need to have a portable air compressor in the Jeep but they do have air pumps there. The beach takes you all the way to the inlet, great place to fish and have a small fire. There's also a little back road that can be fun but have to be careful with deer. Hope to see you out there this year

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Two things...

Second thing...

Thanks
-Evan
Hey Evan ..

Take a look in the Offroad 101 forum.. Lots of good info there. Pretty sure the beach access is restricted in the winter regardless of the gate status. I know the Babylon and State beaches are closed.

You don't NEED both permits but you very well may want them. Google LI Beach 4x4 access for the lists of beaches that fall under the jurisdiction of the State, Suffolk County and the Town of Babylon. State beach passes (fishing access) went on sale Jan 2nd. Not sure about Suffolk. ToB goes on sale mid-may.

When you buy the permit you will receive a map of the areas that are accessible.

The recovery strap is a good idea as long as there is a way to use it.. You could connect to a sky hook but that isn't always available.. Consider a shovel and some strips of carpet as good stage-one tools. Check Harbor Freight for 20 and 30 foot recovery straps on the cheap.

The Babylon town beaches don't have air at the trail heads so bring what you need or do without. Most constant duty pumps use 1/4" NPT quick releases or have the hose hard-connected but not all trail heads have them so check in advance.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Just pulled this off the site for Suffolk parks...

Smith Point County Park
Shirley (631) 852-1313
This park offers bay fishing for flounder, snapper and blowfish. Ocean fishing (surfcasting) for bluefish, weakfish and striped bass. Open year round. Off road vehicles need outer beach permit.

I don't have the Suffolk permit but it would appear Smith Point isn't seasonal....
Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Just pulled this off the site for Suffolk parks...

Smith Point County Park
Shirley (631) 852-1313
This park offers bay fishing for flounder, snapper and blowfish. Ocean fishing (surfcasting) for bluefish, weakfish and striped bass. Open year round. Off road vehicles need outer beach permit.

I don't have the Suffolk permit but it would appear Smith Point isn't seasonal....
Thanks guys. I will do some research on the permits, etc.

As for the portable aircompressor; what would you recommend? The '11 JKU has a built in 110 outlet...would i be able to get a compressor for that?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I will do some research on the permits, etc.

As for the portable aircompressor; what would you recommend? The '11 JKU has a built in 110 outlet...would i be able to get a compressor for that?
Picked one up from home depot, takes a while to fill but it works and doesn't break the bank since I mostly go to smiths point and use their pump

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY