Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 12-31-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone wants a set of sport wheels off my 2012 pm me
Old 12-31-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by evan631
I have an opportunity to get a second set of stock wheels for cheap. I am thinking about getting them powder coated black for my silver JKU.

Any thoughts if this is a good idea? Is there a better choice for getting these wheels black?

Where could I have the work done on LI (I live in Oakdale- South Shore LI east). How much you think something like this would cost for the 5 wheels?

Thanks for your ideas and comments!

-Evan
Evan,
Try Dynocoat in Holbrook- they did my downhill mountainbikes and charged a ridiculously low price. It came out mint, in a nice flat black color, and is tough as nails now. They're family owned/operated, and a nice group of people to deal with. They also only took 2 days over the summer to strip/blast/prime/powder, which was 6 days less than Action Powdercoaters in Farmingdale. Hope it helps!
Jo-e
Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone want to trade mud tires (35's) for all terrains? I have hankook dynapros with about 7k on them, the spare is still new.... Pm me if you can't stand the road noise!!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by evan631
I have an opportunity to get a second set of stock wheels for cheap. I am thinking about getting them powder coated black for my silver JKU.

Any thoughts if this is a good idea? Is there a better choice for getting these wheels black?

Where could I have the work done on LI (I live in Oakdale- South Shore LI east). How much you think something like this would cost for the 5 wheels?

Thanks for your ideas and comments!

-Evan

Around where i live (mount sinai) i think its 25$ a tire. Bedlining wheels is fairly easy too, you could even do it yourself if your good with a can of spray paint
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

So someone locally is selling rubi springs and shocks. I have in my jku with the teraflex 2.5 inch lift with shock adaptors. Think it would be worth uping the shocks? Getting some bad death wobble and the ride is a bit rough so I wonder if that would help a bit
Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tanman823
So someone locally is selling rubi springs and shocks. I have in my jku with the teraflex 2.5 inch lift with shock adaptors. Think it would be worth uping the shocks? Getting some bad death wobble and the ride is a bit rough so I wonder if that would help a bit
I think new upgraded steering stabslizer will fix that
Old 01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

If you're getting DW, there is something amiss in your front end.. most likely worn or mis-aligned parts. I would take it in to your favorite mechanic and get a professional eye-ball on it. I don't believe changing shocks would be my first step, though depending on the shocks you have now, they could be a worthwhile improvement.. just not to remedy the death wobble.

Originally Posted by soccerwarriors9
I think new upgraded steering stabslizer will fix that
I humbly disagree with this recommendation. Technically, a well dialed-in front end would perform fine with no SS, so the suggestion to replace/upgrade to remedy the wobbles is not the best idea. If anything, it would temporarily mask the true problem. Ultimately the problem will still be there and the new SS would likely be toast in short order.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
If you're getting DW, there is something amiss in your front end.. most likely worn or mis-aligned parts. I would take it in to your favorite mechanic and get a professional eye-ball on it. I don't believe changing shocks would be my first step, though depending on the shocks you have now, they could be a worthwhile improvement.. just not to remedy the death wobble.

I humbly disagree with this recommendation. Technically, a well dialed-in front end would perform fine with no SS, so the suggestion to replace/upgrade to remedy the wobbles is not the best idea. If anything, it would temporarily mask the true problem. Ultimately the problem will still be there and the new SS would likely be toast in short order.
awesome gotta have the bolts checked. Only reason I thought of the shocks was my have 50k miles on it and its one bumpy ride ever since the lift
Old 01-02-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

awesome gotta have the bolts checked. Only reason I thought of the shocks was my have 50k miles on it and its one bumpy ride ever since the lift
100% agree with Mike, have it checked out... who did the install on your lift ? just putting in a bb with extensions should not have changed the ride much at all...

I still ride the stock stabilizer with 5'' lift new shocks coils control arms all the way around and 35's that are 125 lbs a piece... I prob will upgrade at some point but I don't "need" too right now...

DW is also pretty serious.... if you are getting a bit of shake or hard ride thats one thing... if its deathwobble then you would not want to be driving it.

DW feel like the front axle is no longer attached to anything and is violently shaking the whole front end of the jeep apart in a fit of destructive rage
basically when it happens you either piss and poop your pants and pull over.... of its just bad enough to make you slow down to a crawl speed and have it taken/towed to a shop that day heh... there is a lot of little uncomfortable feelings prior to that point, and its a very good idea to bring her in earlier rather then later

Good luck, and let us know how it goes
Old 01-02-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know dw hit while going down northern state at 65... not a fun experience. Thought I blew out a tire. I went to jeepguy631 in Bohemia.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY