Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capbarn
...I'd like to learn what most feel is the best tire to run on a daily driver - 2012 JK Rubicon. i have been running teh stock BFG KM1, and they suck in the rain, so i am ready for a change. I have been reading great things about the Cooper ST Maxx, and the GY Duratrac. I'd like a tire manufactured here in the US. Also, any trails recommended? Thnaks for all the great info in these threads, and i am psyched to be part of the LI strain!
Congrats on the JK and welcome to the forum (and LI if that's recent...)

I am on GY Duratracs for a daily driver.. 33x12.5 on a 15x10. Have them since the summer and so far I love them..not a single hiccup. Haven't had them in the snow yet but sand, mud, dirt and the LIE in rush hour and the are pretty much perfect. Comfortable and quiet. Track fine with no wander and look aggressive enough. No problems in the rain. I have nothing negative to say about them. Paid $188 a tire from DDD.

No legal trails on LI.. Beaches are open in many spots..(no shortage of beaches around here) as long as you have the right permits and gear on board.

There are a few clubs that hit the good wheeling spots around the east coast.. google is your friend here.

Cheers and have fun!!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Congrats on the JK and welcome to the forum (and LI if that's recent...)

I am on GY Duratracs for a daily driver.. 33x12.5 on a 15x10. Have them since the summer and so far I love them..not a single hiccup. Haven't had them in the snow yet but sand, mud, dirt and the LIE in rush hour and the are pretty much perfect. Comfortable and quiet. Track fine with no wander and look aggressive enough. No problems in the rain. I have nothing negative to say about them. Paid $188 a tire from DDD.

No legal trails on LI.. Beaches are open in many spots..(no shortage of beaches around here) as long as you have the right permits and gear on board.

There are a few clubs that hit the good wheeling spots around the east coast.. google is your friend here.

Cheers and have fun!!
Mike,
Post a pic of your tires please. I'm thinking my next DD tire should be 12.5".
Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Mike,
Post a pic of your tires please. I'm thinking my next DD tire should be 12.5".
More pictures in my forum albums.. click here for more..

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-03 East End Excursion (48 of 385)_HDR.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	255231
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

More pictures in my forum albums.. click here for more..

Attachment 255231
what fogs are those ?? were they plug and play ?? hard to wire up to the stock set up at all ?? brand ? cost ? HID or just bulb ??

Thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joey2times
what fogs are those ?? were they plug and play ?? hard to wire up to the stock set up at all ?? brand ? cost ? HID or just bulb ??

Thanks in advance
All those questions and you didn't ask 'what lift?' ......

PILOT PL203W from Advance..$30 or so.. not HID but bright as heck. The Pilot fogs have a blue lens (sadly) and the driving lights are clear.. thought I hear the fogs are now available clear as well.

The guys on the electric forum insisted the 2011 would need relays, but not mine. So, sort of plug and play. OE is some funky bulb socket that I cut off and kept with the original fog housings..just in case. I added spade connectors to the OE fog wires and the new Pilot bulb sockets and so far have had no issues. They are wired into the OE fog switch on the stalk.

The Pilots come with all the bracketry you would need to mount them, but I ditched that and simply installed them in the buckets that hold the stock fog housings. Took some fab-work, but it worked out fine.

Crap are they bright! I added them prior to the IPF H4 headlights and they made the OE headlights livable. But now, with the IPF's I no longer NEED the fogs and often don't bother with them.

They are glass lenses so I added a piece of X-Pel glass protection film.

I would love to swap them out for clear.. if anyone wants the blue, pick up a set of clear and we can make a deal.. I'll even help install them.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

All those questions and you didn't ask 'what lift?' ......

PILOT PL203W from Advance..$30 or so.. not HID but bright as heck. The Pilot fogs have a blue lens (sadly) and the driving lights are clear.. thought I hear the fogs are now available clear as well.

The guys on the electric forum insisted the 2011 would need relays, but not mine. So, sort of plug and play. OE is some funky bulb socket that I cut off and kept with the original fog housings..just in case. I added spade connectors to the OE fog wires and the new Pilot bulb sockets and so far have had no issues. They are wired into the OE fog switch on the stalk.

The Pilots come with all the bracketry you would need to mount them, but I ditched that and simply installed them in the buckets that hold the stock fog housings. Took some fab-work, but it worked out fine.

Crap are they bright! I added them prior to the IPF H4 headlights and they made the OE headlights livable. But now, with the IPF's I no longer NEED the fogs and often don't bother with them.

They are glass lenses so I added a piece of X-Pel glass protection film.

I would love to swap them out for clear.. if anyone wants the blue, pick up a set of clear and we can make a deal.. I'll even help install them.
got any links for clear ones ? I might consider that idea... I would want to see the blue in person of course, but I dont think they would look bad on all black, I think they would look good actually

but then again, its hard to tell just in my imagination! hahah

oh I was meaning to ask you... What track bar bushing is that? Did it come with the lift?? if so what lift is that??

Old 12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
JK Super Freak

No links but I saw the clear housings in the parts store today.

I'm always happy to meet up and rarely need a reason. If you want to see them let me know. All my parts are from ACME. You know, the cotoye brand
Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

I have no idea what lift it is or any facts on the rig I just want the Mattracks they only run about $30,000 lol.....
Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BillJenkins
I have no idea what lift it is or any facts on the rig I just want the Mattracks they only run about $30,000 lol.....
I was kidding about the lift...
Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Powder Coat Stock Wheels

I have an opportunity to get a second set of stock wheels for cheap. I am thinking about getting them powder coated black for my silver JKU.

Any thoughts if this is a good idea? Is there a better choice for getting these wheels black?

Where could I have the work done on LI (I live in Oakdale- South Shore LI east). How much you think something like this would cost for the 5 wheels?

Thanks for your ideas and comments!

-Evan

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY