Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evan631
Ever think maybe these people are too busy texting???.....
Not only have I thought of that, but I see it all the time.. Amazing what some people do when driving.

Thanks for getting back to me!

I think the PC would look better, plus I'm too scared to do it myself! Doesn't the bedliner get chipped?

You do have a good point about doing it with the spare! Nice idea...might look funny running with two different color wheels on one side.

I have some thinking to do.

When you say 16" cookie cutter...what exactly do you mean by "cookie cutter". I have a friend that might be interested. Can you PM me with pics and how much you want?
I've seen a few bedlined wheels and they look awesome. I was close to doing mine, but decided I really wanted 15's. I've bedlined tons of stuff.. the grill on 2008 lasted three years without a chip or other mark. That stuff is crazy durable. There are tons of pics on the forums on how folks have bedlined their wheels and I would say on a scale of one to ten, ten being the hardest... this would about a two. Maybe a one. If you figure one can per wheel, at $7 a can plus one extra just in case... that's under $50 for an awesome finish that is easy to maintain. You could easily do all of them in one day, certainly all of them in a weekend.

Having PC'd wheels in the past I find the cost and upkeep way over the top.. and the ones I did were for a street rod... On a Jeep, where we're roughing it up.. no way I would PC unless I had a mall crawler. If it were mine... I absolutely would opt for bedline over PC simply due to the ease application, time and ease of upkeep.. plus the cost. And frankly, I love the look of bedline. If you choose to do any other parts of your jeep it will all match..

I mentioned my pizza cutters.. not cookie cutters.. LOL.. that's a nickname given to the stock 16" steelies. When I bought the 2012, I knew I was going with larger tires and smaller wheels, so opted for the steel wheels. I don't have any pics of mine, yes, but I will. I done't want a lot for them.. just don't want to store them and can't see throwing them away. They happen to look great bedlined black!!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMarz
Not only have I thought of that, but I see it all the time.. Amazing what some people do when driving.

I've seen a few bedlined wheels and they look awesome. I was close to doing mine, but decided I really wanted 15's. I've bedlined tons of stuff.. the grill on 2008 lasted three years without a chip or other mark. That stuff is crazy durable. There are tons of pics on the forums on how folks have bedlined their wheels and I would say on a scale of one to ten, ten being the hardest... this would about a two. Maybe a one. If you figure one can per wheel, at $7 a can plus one extra just in case... that's under $50 for an awesome finish that is easy to maintain. You could easily do all of them in one day, certainly all of them in a weekend.

Having PC'd wheels in the past I find the cost and upkeep way over the top.. and the ones I did were for a street rod... On a Jeep, where we're roughing it up.. no way I would PC unless I had a mall crawler. If it were mine... I absolutely would opt for bedline over PC simply due to the ease application, time and ease of upkeep.. plus the cost. And frankly, I love the look of bedline. If you choose to do any other parts of your jeep it will all match..

I mentioned my pizza cutters.. not cookie cutters.. LOL.. that's a nickname given to the stock 16" steelies. When I bought the 2012, I knew I was going with larger tires and smaller wheels, so opted for the steel wheels. I don't have any pics of mine, yes, but I will. I done't want a lot for them.. just don't want to store them and can't see throwing them away. They happen to look great bedlined black!!
Thanks for the info! I leaning towards bedline...but like i said nervous. I think we will do my buddies first!

Pizza cutter...cookie cutter. Big fan of both pizza and cookies!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the info! I leaning towards bedline...but like i said nervous. I think we will do my buddies first!

Pizza cutter...cookie cutter. Big fan of both pizza and cookies!

Don't be afraid!!

The bedline is real easy to lay down evenly.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default Whats up LI

whats up long island my names sean. unfortunatley i dont have a jeep yet i just steal my dads black 2000 wrangler every chance i get lol. but come september i will be looking for a better job and once i get one the search for a nice JKU will begin.
and speaking of stealing my dads jeep im gonna be taking it this friday for a nice drive to montauk. maybe i'll see some of you there. MMarz to bad you werent there this week we could have chatted

also i just finished reading the past 100 pages of this thread and man have they been interesting like the york 206 install suffolk JK (if i remember correctly) did i can see i will learn a lot from you guys and i hope to meet you in the future
Old 08-11-2011, 02:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bullshark524
whats up long island my names sean. unfortunatley i dont have a jeep yet i just steal my dads black 2000 wrangler every chance i get lol. but come september i will be looking for a better job and once i get one the search for a nice JKU will begin.
and speaking of stealing my dads jeep im gonna be taking it this friday for a nice drive to montauk. maybe i'll see some of you there. MMarz to bad you werent there this week we could have chatted

also i just finished reading the past 100 pages of this thread and man have they been interesting like the york 206 install suffolk JK (if i remember correctly) did i can see i will learn a lot from you guys and i hope to meet you in the future
Welcome to the forums.. Information overload if you read too much too fast.

Montauk is a blast.. I am heading out again in Sept for a lazy trip to some of the off-beat spots with stop-overs in Shelter Island and around such.. sort of a tour of the East End. I know LI like the back of my hand but don't spend enough time exploring.

Jeeps are fun!!

Good luck with the job search and be careful with dad's stuff!!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[/quote]Montauk is a blast.. I am heading out again in Sept for a lazy trip to some of the off-beat spots with stop-overs in Shelter Island and around such.. sort of a tour of the East End. I know LI like the back of my hand but don't spend enough time [/QUOTE]

I'm heading out there soon. I have beach permit. Where are the best places to take my friends kids driving on the beach? Also, are there time restrictions on when you can enter the beaches with the jeep?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMarz
Two places I know of.. though I have been to either in a while

SL Refinishing is on Edison Ave in North Babylon. Kevin is the owner. He did an AMAZING job on my three wheels for my Audi.. not cheap though.

The other place is Action Powder Coating in Lyndenhurst.. they did three sets of brake calipers for me..

And, there is another place around the corner from Action.. I'd have to pass by it to get the name.

If you don't have another set of wheels/tires, you'll have count on at least a day or two without a ride.. You'll need to break them down and then give the shop probably two to three days to get them prepped, coated, baked, cooled and cleaned..
I have had experiences with both Kevin at SL metal and Action powdercoating.

Kevin does incredible work for bent wheels (i had him fix my 17 inch Fikse/Dinan speced FM5 wheel)

Action Powdercoating does great work as well.
I had them powdercoat my 16inch Fikse FM5 wheels from technopolish to gunmetal.
technopolish:

Gunmetal:

Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys i know im probably beating a dead horse but 533 pages of posts is a lot to look through. I need to regear for my 35s looking for some advice on good shops on the island. Im also kinda curious what its probably gonna cost all said and done. I definitely cant drive it like this, its a total dog!
Old 08-13-2011, 03:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanoballs
Hey guys i know im probably beating a dead horse but 533 pages of posts is a lot to look through. I need to regear for my 35s looking for some advice on good shops on the island. Im also kinda curious what its probably gonna cost all said and done. I definitely cant drive it like this, its a total dog!
Call evan. Cell is 516-384-5349.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY