Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, does anyone on here know anything about the TPMS guages in the tires of the jks?? i gotta replace the stem on mine from when evan accidentally snapped it off at rausch and i dont know if all i gotta do is replace the stem or if i gotta screw with the TPMS too?
Old 04-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
hey, does anyone on here know anything about the TPMS guages in the tires of the jks?? i gotta replace the stem on mine from when evan accidentally snapped it off at rausch and i dont know if all i gotta do is replace the stem or if i gotta screw with the TPMS too?
Pretty sure it's the whole unit. About $25-$35 from the dealer...

The spare tire has one; you could use that one for the time being.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Viper64
I'll be stopping by for sure, suffolk could you PM directions to his shop?
Originally Posted by adamisadam
and his address. I just have his #
Originally Posted by Raf
Actually it would help if I had his address too
Don't have the exact address to put into a GPS, but the easiest way to go is:

From the east:

Take the Sunrise Hwy to exit 43.
Immediately get to the right lane because you need to make a right at N 3rd Ave. (you'll see PC Richards on the corner, make that right)
Drive straight down N 3rd Ave until close to the end.
You'll see 2 buildings side by side, on the right you'll see boats, drive through the gate and come to the back.

From the west:

Take Southern State Pkwy to exit 42 or 43, whichever is 5th Ave. (right after the Sagtikos exit, so it might be 42)
Make the 1st left (Spur Dr)
Make the 1st right onto 5th Ave (CR13)
At the 1st light, stay to your left and make a left onto Brook Ave.
Make the 1st right onto N 3rd Ave.
You'll see the gates and boats on the left side as you drive onto N 3rd Ave.

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
Get the AEV ProCal and change to rubber valves. Problem solved for life, no more idiot chime for TPMS every time you air down. Plus, no more worrying about damaging TPMS stems.

On another note, just installed the soft doors. AWESOME look. Need to tweak a little here and there on the passenger side and a LITTLE on the driver side. But, it's dark and I'm tired from the long day. Will do it tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

HOlbrook FD got asked to help put out a brusch fire in bohemia in the state park today. Ill tell you what boy, thats some fun wheeling man!!! knocking down trees to make your own trails is a hell of a lot better then following one. here are some pics from today and a video from an older fire i was on.

gotta fly the pirate flag off the back of a stump jumper!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fy2mofgdM0

Last edited by mattyhfd; 04-24-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

After some tweaking, bending, and cursing...they are finally on, latching properly, and sealing properly (to a soft door extent). Bestop 2-piece soft doors:

Uppers are a bit crooked still, but I'm too tired to adjust them now.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
After some tweaking, bending, and cursing...they are finally on, latching properly, and sealing properly (to a soft door extent). Bestop 2-piece soft doors:

Uppers are a bit crooked still, but I'm too tired to adjust them now.
Well, with rain just a few miles west, you're going to find out how weather-proof they are tonight and tomorrow.

I hope it stays dry inside.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Dimitri,

They look great. I'll do mine next weekend. I have 4 doors to do. What do you mean by tweaking, bending? You actually had to bend the metal frames to get them to fit properly?
Any suggestions I should know ahead of time.

I know they won't be watertight. But let me know how they work in the rain.

Bob
Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Raf
JK Enthusiast

Doors look great Dimitri
Old 04-25-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, you need to bend the upper frames here and there to fit snug. It rained all day today and it had a MINOR dribble on the inside. Seems to be creeping between the 2 halves. Nothing major at all. BUT, they still need to be tweaked. The JK's door frame is made aero dynamic, so, the window frame rolls onto the door itself. That poses a problem since the soft door is not flush with the window frame causing air to find it's way behind the door and pushing the upper half out (literally seems as the upper half will fly away, but it won't). You need to pre-load the upper half to bend inside and contact the upper part of the door frame in order to have enough tension for it NOT to bow out with high winds.

I knew they would need to be tweaked, so, I expected this. I need a nicer warmer day and a few hours to fully adjust everything and bend everything to make it work. For me, they're worth it.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Junkie

On a good note, a member of LIOR just came by and dropped off a nice York belt-driven compressor. Going to make a REAL on board air setup now, airs up a 35" tire in less than a minute and can EASILY run air tools for the trail. $1,100 for the Kilby/ORO setup? Using this same compressor I'll make the entire kit for less than $500.

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY