Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Long Island, NY

Old 03-05-2010, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used my Dewalt grinder that I've had for years now. Had the metal cut-off blade already on it, saw it on my bench and went to town on it. I'm not a fan of Dremels, too hobbyist-ish (if that's a word). Took some measurements, used painter's tape, followed with the grinder. Then used an air grinder with a scuffing pad to smooth out the edge.

I wanted to change the oil in my Ranger this morning, after being 2k over, and finally having some time this morning...but it's snowing. Thanks mother nature, appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, I'm a ford guy (as you seem to be with your ranger). My father's been running Ford work vans since the late 60's. They do the job and do it well. We still have an old '95 E-150 that sits in the driveway as a back up if need be, it has 200+ miles on the original straight 6 and tranny. And I say back-up but we rarely use it, but it starts up every time.

Lockers are a big decision, I still haven't decided which way I will go.

Does cutting the plastic fender with the cut off wheel cook it a little?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah it does, why I used the sanding disc to smooth it out.

How did you like the work done by Evan?

I like both Chevy and Ford, but I drive Fords too. Have a 97 Ranger as my work truck and a 95 Bronco as a backup. 302 still fires up one the first crank. 194k on the Ranger and still going strong. ZERO issues. 119k on the Bronco and it's for sale. I need to buy a E250 Ford van though, the Ranger isn't cutting it now.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cut off wheel? or maybe jig saw or saws all. But sand it when done for sure I figuring. I have a dremmel and don't often use it. I also don't see how I could cut such a long straigh line wiht it.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

tonight i had a really bad case of the death wobble, it only happens when i hit pot holes or bumps, i need help proving it to jeep, it only happens once and a while but when it does happen its really bad(ask matt he saw one tonight) idk what to do its sad that i cant trust my new truck at highway speeds i found a spot where it always happen should i just drive the service guy there and show him
Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09jaykay
tonight i had a really bad case of the death wobble, it only happens when i hit pot holes or bumps, i need help proving it to jeep, it only happens once and a while but when it does happen its really bad(ask matt he saw one tonight) idk what to do its sad that i cant trust my new truck at highway speeds i found a spot where it always happen should i just drive the service guy there and show him
When you say Death wobble, does it start shaking and not stop until you pull over and stop the truck?
With these pot holes I've gotten some small shakes even with the Currie LCAs and the fox ss. Only lasts a second or two. The plows really destroyed the roads this year.

Dimitri, I am very happy with Evan and his work. I was in the process of removing my rear shock extension the other day but didn't end up doing it. Knowing I would be doing it in the next week or so, I left out the little bolt that holds it up. Evan noticed that and replaced it without asking or charging. These are the little things that make a difference to me.

I currently drive an '05 E-250 with the small block 8. Just hitting 100K on the odometer (40 miles shy). It has only needed very few things. Upper and lower ball joints on each side and the most major... Blew a spark plug through the aluminum head. Poor design by ford but everything was covered by the extended warranty we always take on the trucks.
Turns out the spark plug thing is a very common problem, shitty heads and only about 3 taps to seat the plug. They put a new head in my truck. I'm sure others try to fix it with a helicoil (Spelling?). I'd say look out for that when your checking out some vans. Good luck.

Last edited by Sethc84; 03-06-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

adam i was thinking sawzall too then sanding...

09jaykay arent you stock? Does the wobble only happen at a certain speed?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're getting DW stock, I'd check your SS'er and see if it's leaking. I was getting the rebound after bumps, mostly when turned and hitting a bump, like as I entered the LIE at Exit 50 westbound by my house and htere's a bump across like a speed bump. Only once did it turn into full DW when I was in brooklyn on a really bumpy road and I had to pull over to stop it.

But I checked everything, and the only problem was my leaking SS'er. I got an aftermarket one for $50 and the problem is 99.99% gone now. If you're stock, have htem put in the new and improved one from Mopar. Supposedly stronger and different mounting agle.

So, breather party tomorrow? where? when? I just finished a GREAT day skiing at Jiminy!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

Seth, glad you like Evan's ethic and work. Are you interested in the $999 gears and install special? He said you were pondering the gears and locker install. I need a new work truck that can double as my tow rig.

Even with a new SS, you can still have wobble. I have a new TF SS and I still have a wobble between 42 and 49 MPH. Every time I accelerate and am in this speed zone, the steering has a shake. Before and after, nothing. At all potholes, nothing. But, within this 7 MPH zone, it shakes and if I hit a pothole in this zone, it gets even worse. Even after torquing the hell out of the TF trackbar with an impact, there is a slight movement in both ends. I'm pressing the bushings out and getting new replacement bushings from TF. That, or getting the 2nd gen. TF forged trackbar for $235, and sending them my 1st gen. for a $205 credit. I'll report my results.

Last edited by Suffolk JK; 03-06-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

a wobble in a certain speed zone is almost always due to unbalanced tires, maybe you lost a weight

Quick Reply: Long Island, NY